It's seems every week, there is a new article, blog, or post on the relevance, demise, or death of RIM. I thought a review of an article in MacObserver circa 2000 on Apple and its problems would be an interesting read (3 parts).

The Mac Observer: The Apple Trader - Apple Explained, Part 1: In Steve We Trust

The Mac Observer: The Apple Trader - Apple Explained, Part II: What Ails Apple?

The Mac Observer: The Apple Trader - Apple Explained Part III: Discounting The Fears

Some bullet points on Apple falling behind other PCs:
    1) Lower than expected sales of new products
    2) Fear in the market, waiting for other shoe to drop in more bad news from Apple
    3) CPU wars: tardiness in Motorola delivering high performance chips
    4) Faltering new product strategy: Apple's tepid internet strategy
    5) Apple struggles to coordinate sales of Macs and Apple allows sales & service support decay
    6) Mac OS X uncertainties: Apple jettisoning the legacy OS

Don't these bullet points look familiar to what ails RIM?

Analysts and journalists are like weatherman. Propensity to overstate the obvious and no clue as to what will happen next month or next year.

RIM will turn things around.
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    08-05-11 06:27 PM
    hahaha I said that months ago too!! "Analysts are the weathermen of the tech world."
    sleepngbear and PadreTremtU like this.
    08-05-11 06:36 PM
    Clearly Rim is NOT Apple.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-11 08:35 PM

Nope. Not even close. Luckily for RIM, they don't have to be Apple to be successful..
    Guatiao likes this.
    08-05-11 08:38 PM
    They underestimated Jobs -- a critical error. Do we think that the analysts are now underestimating Laziridis and Basillie? I hope RIM does turn it around, but these guys are no Jobs.

mustangv8 likes this.
    08-05-11 08:38 PM

A more fitting comment would be
    Mike Lazaridis & Jim Balsillie are NO Steven Jobs & Jonathan Ive.

RIM is in a Better position than Apple was, but Apple had the better talent in the right places than RIM does
    howarmat and kevinnugent like this.
    08-05-11 08:48 PM
    Rim bosses got more talent. Just less cunning than apple. next year apple will sure everybody for using touchscreen on their phones.
    08-05-11 09:00 PM
    Rim bosses got more talent. Just less cunning than apple. next year apple will sure everybody for using touchscreen on their phones.
    I don't know about more talent Job > Balsillie, Lazaridis = Ive IMO.

The talent pool beneath RIM's hydra probably has more depth than Apple Circa 1999-2001
    08-05-11 09:03 PM
    I would not compare Apple to RIM when it comes to their leaders. That being said, I definitely think RIM can pull themselves out of this and be a super power again.
    08-05-11 09:37 PM
    Yes, they do. But all these years later, Apple still holds less than 10% of the overall PC market. If not for pushing into new markets, Apple would be in a far different (and less powerful) position.
    08-05-11 11:47 PM
    Many analysts/columnists (and with the way the columnists are always interviewing and quoting the analysts that distinction is blurred) have no sense, no memory and no shame. They don't try to remember there own past, apart from the way that an overwrought and underthought statement draws attention to themselves and supports their shorts. You don't have to go much beyond remembering that Steve Jobs was pronounced dead and buried every decade or so, to get a gauge of the value of these kinds of statements. How about recognizing the inherent volatility and ultra competitiveness of this segment, instead of this silly idea that the guys who brought their companies to the top somehow become dumb everytime there is a shift, or every time a rival comes up with something new and better? Jobs' IQ didn't start to erode as soon as Google jumped into the game, even if Android forges ahead. Mike and Jim are the same ones that brought RIM this far. Sometimes a man's or woman's time is past (and sometimes a company's is too). But every time some ***** blurts out one of these death sentences we shouldn't be pulling out the mourner's cloak.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    08-05-11 11:58 PM
    Mac sales (desktops & notebooks) are experiencing double digit growth this year while Windows (PCs & notebooks) are declining overall in unit growth.

Innovative products meeting customer needs will always buck the trend in the overall market. Apple now has a hat trick in new product launches: iPod, iPhone, and iPad. And now MacBook Air.

It's not about where the market is today. But as Gretzky said, "I go where the puck is going to be." Apple's MacBook Air is where the notebook market is heading.

RIM's QNX OS is better than current versions of iOS and Android. Once Android Player is released, it's a level playing field in App selection. With emerging NFC, BB will be right where the market is heading, ironclad security.

Yes, they do. But all these years later, Apple still holds less than 10% of the overall PC market. If not for pushing into new markets, Apple would be in a far different (and less powerful) position.
    08-06-11 09:09 AM
    It's seems every week, there is a new article, blog, or post on the relevance, demise, or death of RIM. I thought a review of an article in MacObserver circa 2000 on Apple and its problems would be an interesting read (3 parts).

The Mac Observer: The Apple Trader - Apple Explained, Part 1: In Steve We Trust

The Mac Observer: The Apple Trader - Apple Explained, Part II: What Ails Apple?

The Mac Observer: The Apple Trader - Apple Explained Part III: Discounting The Fears

Some bullet points on Apple falling behind other PCs:
    1) Lower than expected sales of new products
    2) Fear in the market, waiting for other shoe to drop in more bad news from Apple
    3) CPU wars: tardiness in Motorola delivering high performance chips
    4) Faltering new product strategy: Apple's tepid internet strategy
    5) Apple struggles to coordinate sales of Macs and Apple allows sales & service support decay
    6) Mac OS X uncertainties: Apple jettisoning the legacy OS

Analysts and journalists are like weatherman. Propensity to overstate the obvious and no clue as to what will happen next month or next year.

RIM will turn things around.
    Interesting read -- thanks.
    08-07-11 05:48 PM
    No wonder people call them analyst. what a name.
    Get worst lately with though, with internet and blogs and everybody claiming to be an expert, or worse, analyst.
    08-07-11 08:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD