Can anyone tell me what a torrent site is? And where I can find a good one?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-09 06:35 AM
    BitTorrent (protocol) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Torrent sites are used to help people find Torrents which is a P2P file sharing protocol. Read the wiki I posted for much info on torrents. The site I use is piratebay.org
    06-05-09 08:28 AM
    I guess they're not "totally" legal, but I use Mininova : The ultimate BitTorrent source!
    06-05-09 08:34 AM
    I used demonoid and never have any issues. The bad thing about demonoid.com is that it's either by invite or not at all as open registration is a rarity due to the popularity of the site.

I used to use piratebay.org up until recently when it started asking me for my login credentials which it never had before. Personally I prefer sites that don't require to to sign up for them. Google "Top 25 Bittorrent Sites" and you're sure to find a site that fits your needs.
    06-05-09 08:48 AM
    I guess they're not "totally" legal, but I use Mininova : The ultimate BitTorrent source!
    They are legal proving you don't use them to exchange copyrighted software or other type files. For example the Grateful Dead allow for the non commercial trading of "taped" concerts made by attendees of their shows. Also some software is free or in the public domain. As long as you stick to that stuff you are legal.

EDIT: I should say YOU are legal, cause the sites themselves may be of questionable legality, BUT they are heavily used by the internet community.
    06-05-09 09:26 AM
    I used to use piratebay.org up until recently when it started asking me for my login credentials which it never had before. Personally I prefer sites that don't require to to sign up for them. Google "Top 25 Bittorrent Sites" and you're sure to find a site that fits your needs.
    I believe piratebay may no longer be under the control of the founders, as they received jail sentences following a high profile legal case in Sweden. It is entirely plausible that pb is now being used to collect information about torrent users.
    06-05-09 09:33 AM
    I believe piratebay may no longer be under the control of the founders, as they received jail sentences following a high profile legal case in Sweden. It is entirely plausible that pb is now being used to collect information about torrent users.

And that would by why i didn't know that. Good 411, thanks!
    06-05-09 10:09 AM
    I use isohunt.

06-05-09 06:10 PM
    What torrent sites you like will depend on what you are looking for. For instance, some sites have more music, others have more software, etc.

The one I like is Dime. They only have recordings and videos that are not official releases, so no legal issues there. There are all kinds of shows in just about every genre of music you can imagine.
    08-09-09 02:19 PM
    Isohunt is what I been using. And most anything by axxo or fxg is usually very good to almost perfect quality

08-09-09 05:02 PM
    which ever one you use (iso being the best) you just have to be careful that you dont download virus and such, lot of scope for error out there
    08-10-09 05:28 AM
    isohunt is my go-to.
    08-12-09 10:07 AM
    The funny thing is tons of people still swear by it. I'd be extremely hesitant to use it now considering they were raided not to long ago.

As far as torrents are concerned, Demonoid is the best.
    08-12-09 10:19 AM
    demonoid is nice but you cant get on unless your invited. for some reason i was able to use it for a while without the invite, i dont know why. but now... no more access.

i normally stick with mininova.org.
    ive never tried isohunt, ill have to give it a shot.
    08-12-09 01:52 PM
    I use VUSE. It gets them from almost all the others mentioned here.

08-12-09 02:07 PM
    They are legal proving you don't use them to exchange copyrighted software or other type files. For example the Grateful Dead allow for the non commercial trading of "taped" concerts made by attendees of their shows. Also some software is free or in the public domain. As long as you stick to that stuff you are legal.

EDIT: I should say YOU are legal, cause the sites themselves may be of questionable legality, BUT they are heavily used by the internet community.
    You got any of those tapes? I could use some more dead in my life
    08-12-09 03:18 PM
    these days, i feel unsafe about using big torrent sites such as mininova, isohut, torrentz, or piratebay, so i chose to sign up for some private torrents websites such as torrent-damage.net and mininova....torrent damage has incredible downloading speeds. When i download a move for example fight club in blu ray edition, i download 2m+ and it usually dl's in less than 30 min
    08-13-09 01:34 AM
    Another site I like is Tapecity.
    08-13-09 11:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD