I know the old saying goes to purchase a ring of at least 1 carat or 3 months of you salary, I think...

But what's ya guys thoughts n opinions on this?

Some people say buy what u can afford, but for a major life time event c'mon

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-10 09:00 PM
    Don't get her anything.

If she complains find a girl who doesn't.

That's my rule.

Or get her something she can use like a socket set.
    01-18-10 09:06 PM
    We bought what we could afford at the time , and that wasn't much lol. In few years on our 10 year anniversary I'm gonna spend some savings and make her happy .....again lol

01-18-10 09:11 PM
    I have no energy tonight....
    01-19-10 01:15 AM
    Major lifetime event? Maybe my first marriage, maybe. The divorce was more of a "major lifetime event"! Ha!! Lol

01-19-10 04:47 AM
    Do this, go ring shopping with her. make an afternoon of it.

Take her to lunch, take her to the mall, then take her to some private jewelers and see what ring SHE likes.... watch her reactions, her body launguage, and ask her be point blank about.....

that way she gets the ring she likes and you might be able to save some money.

and if you are planning on "popping the question", you guys have had to of been talking about it so it won't be a surprise.

01-19-10 07:58 AM
    I spent around 1 month's salary, which was what we could afford at the time, but I have heard that 3 month thing.
    01-19-10 08:06 AM
    good old DeBeers Marketing!

Buy what you can afford, or what she will take, I know some couples who didn't even do rings, they got a tatoo on their fingers,

seriously what value does this ring have? after you buy it, like a car is depreciates in value. You'd be better off spending a little more money on the actual engagement "event" than spending it on the Ring.
    01-19-10 09:06 AM
    The ring we got (we both picked it out) was about 1 months salary for me at the time (almost 20 years ago). Occasionally my wife will drop a hint that she'd like a new ring, preferably one based on 3 months salary, since I make a lot more money than I did 20 years ago.
    01-19-10 09:16 AM
    good old DeBeers Marketing!

Buy what you can afford, or what she will take, I know some couples who didn't even do rings, they got a tatoo on their fingers,

seriously what value does this ring have? after you buy it, like a car is depreciates in value. You'd be better off spending a little more money on the actual engagement "event" than spending it on the Ring.
    The ring we got (we both picked it out) was about 1 months salary for me at the time (almost 20 years ago). Occasionally my wife will drop a hint that she'd like a new ring, preferably one based on 3 months salary, since I make a lot more money than I did 20 years ago.
    Two very good posts!!

I say buy what you can afford and something the woman wants. I could care less on how much my honey would pay for my ring as long I like it and it makes me happy! Thats all that should really matter!
    01-19-10 09:19 AM
    I saved for a couple years and got her a nice ring that I know she would be happy with for quite some time. If you've never shopped for engagement rings it can be overwhelming when they lay a bunch of loose stones on the table and you begin looking at the price tags on them. I got my wife a 1.2 carat princess cut diamond in a cathedral setting. I could have went a little bigger, but did not want to sacrifice color and clarity. The color and clarity is the most important in my opinion, that's where all the "Brilliance" comes from. You want that sparkle...
    01-19-10 09:28 AM
    What's really funny, is way back when we first started talking marraige I bought her a promise ring, a fake diamond, at JC Penny for 20 bucks, and THAT is the ring she chooses to wear. It has more meaning to her plus she prefers the smaller size. The "real" ring is in her handbag thou, so I guess they BOTH have meaning to her.
    01-19-10 10:08 AM
    Just don't get married.

But if you have to, don't read too much into these so-called "rules" and what everyone else thinks you should do.

What kind of ring do you want to get her and what kind of ring do you think she'll want?
    01-19-10 10:11 AM
    I think it just depends on your relationship and money situation. I'm engaged and my fiance told me in the past that if I were to buy a ring it better not have diamonds in it at all. She has been to Africa on a medical mission and seen first hand the chaos that those little stones can cause people over there.

I actually agree with her and am quite glad I didn't have to spend so much on something so trivial (in my opinion). We will use the money for a better vacation or for more useful things....instead of something shiny on her finger!
    01-19-10 12:00 PM
    One thing my father has done in his life is bought my mother some very nice jewelry, specifically diamonds. I remember as a kid going to the jeweler with my father and I asked him. "Dad, how come diamonds are so expensive?" He replied, "That's easy son, cause everybody wants one"...
    01-19-10 12:07 PM
    Get what you can afford.

It's a symbol, not a girl scouts badge of honor.

If it's true love, she'll appreciate what you give her, regardless.

If she doesn't well then return that ish, and make her buy YOU one.
    01-19-10 12:09 PM
    Get what you can afford.

It's a symbol, not a girl scouts badge of honor.

If it's true love, she'll appreciate what you give her, regardless.

If she doesn't well then return that ish, and make her buy YOU one.
    Lmao! They are lucky they don't have to purchase us guys a nice ring. Mine is Tungsten Carbide and I love it. Then to top it off, I found out a few weeks before the wedding that I needed to give her a gift at the rehersal dinner. I ended up getting her a beautiful diamond bracelet, but wish I would have had more notice so I could have saved up more. I paid cash for my wife's jewelry because the interest rates jewelers charge can be rediculously high. So let's say if my monthly payment was $150.00 a month, add an extra $80.00 to that, just in interest alone...
    01-19-10 12:17 PM
    Don't get married. Solves the ring decision.
    01-19-10 03:17 PM
    and only practice bu tt love. Pregnancy just complicates things even more
    01-19-10 03:20 PM
    Bu tt love is the ticket. Once you make eye contact, the thrill is gone.
    01-19-10 03:21 PM
    Who wants proposed to in a room that smells like poo??
    01-19-10 03:25 PM
    True dat. Poo isn't an aphrodisiac.
    01-19-10 03:28 PM
    obviously you havent seen Screech Powers' homemade video!
    01-19-10 03:30 PM
    I can haz Screech pr0n?
    01-19-10 03:31 PM
    No. Dirty. Sanchez. Ever!
    01-19-10 03:52 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD