I seriously need a break. In fact, I am done with advertising. I just want to sit back and relax for a while. Then start penning a book/novel. I also want to pursue further studies in my subject, philosophy, as I realize, my life currently has absolutely no meaning and no direction. I am just earning money. Good money I might add. But that's about it. Especially after studying Philo. for 4 years, all this feels very bad. Just wanted to share...was also looking at alternative carrier options, but don't know if I am good at anything else. I am 28, married and my father is about to retire. All this makes my chances of quitting, very bleak. One wrong move and I might be gone for good.

IF only...I could do something worthwhile with my life.
    Sigh...
    03-08-13 03:43 AM
    O....K.....

It would be interesting to discuss what you feel is "worthwhile"....it's a subject I think most people never address with the proper rigor....relying only things like "my kids", "make others happy", "be a success", "be a good person"....but I doubt this is the proper venue for such a talk!

Hope you feel better soon. Find a real-life person to talk to about this stuff...not necessarily easy I know.....it's much better!
    03-08-13 04:06 AM
    Thanks Richardat. Worthwhile means wisdom to me. There are so many things I still need to learn. There are so much knowledge I need to gather about life, and here I am. Doing something that earns me money and nothing else.
    But thanks for your kind words. I really appreciate it...
    BergerKing and richardat like this.
    03-08-13 04:44 AM
    pm me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    03-08-13 09:29 AM
    You might just be feeling the tail end if the February blues.

I can relate to wanting to do what you love, I recently just had to close down my business, (painful experience) and the search for a new passion has been challenging to say the least.

I'm curious why you hate advertising, I've always had a love for it, like to hear your thoughts.

Best of luck with which ever road you take.

Posted via CB10
    X0LARIUM likes this.
    03-08-13 10:04 AM
    You might just be feeling the tail end if the February blues.

I can relate to wanting to do what you love, I recently just had to close down my business, (painful experience) and the search for a new passion has been challenging to say the least.

I'm curious why you hate advertising, I've always had a love for it, like to hear your thoughts.

Best of luck with which ever road you take.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks man...
    I don't hate advertising actually. I hate the way MY agency functions... Tons of Bull S*it flying around..so many people to please...so many people try to pull u down...arrggh..its just ...I don't know..making me hate This profession. Plus..its lying if u ask me..

Sent from my Π Σ Χ U S 4.
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-08-13 12:04 PM
    Could be worse dude...I had a decade like that once
    kevinnugent and BergerKing like this.
    03-08-13 12:25 PM
    In a way I feel where you're coming from, albeit, it only lasts for a few days.

I do wish I could 'do something worthwhile', but sometimes we've already done it (saying the right thing to someone when most needed), we just didn't notice\know it.
    Anyway, we should enjoy what we 'have', no?
    BergerKing, richardat and X0LARIUM like this.
    03-08-13 12:44 PM
    In a way I feel where you're coming from, albeit, it only lasts for a few days.

I do wish I could 'do something worthwhile', but sometimes we've already done it (saying the right thing to someone when most needed), we just didn't notice\know it.
    Anyway, we should enjoy what we 'have', no?
    Absolutely. One of the laws of Philosophy. "Be content."

03-08-13 01:24 PM
    Thanks man...
    I don't hate advertising actually. I hate the way MY agency functions... Tons of Bull S*it flying around..so many people to please...so many people try to pull u down...arrggh..its just ...I don't know..making me hate This profession. Plus..its lying if u ask me..

I hear that, I run little "ad" website, all the agencies PR people send me their campaigns to share on the site and whoa are there ever some enormous heads.

But, isn't this unfortunately much the same with almost any business....

Crazy thought, why not start your own agency.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 02:08 PM
    I seriously need a break. In fact, I am done with advertising. I just want to sit back and relax for a while. Then start penning a book/novel. I also want to pursue further studies in my subject, philosophy, as I realize, my life currently has absolutely no meaning and no direction. I am just earning money. Good money I might add. But that's about it. Especially after studying Philo. for 4 years, all this feels very bad. Just wanted to share...was also looking at alternative carrier options, but don't know if I am good at anything else. I am 28, married and my father is about to retire. All this makes my chances of quitting, very bleak. One wrong move and I might be gone for good.

IF only...I could do something worthwhile with my life.
    Sigh...
    I hear you. Nothing's better doing some that you like for a living. I hope you find something you are passionate about.

Since we are on the topic of finding job and career, my wife just graduated with a Master degree in Economics and is looking for a job in San Diego area. She has done interships at Beacon Hill Institute in Boston, Oregon Business Development Dept in Portland, and Port of Portland. If anybody knows of any opening for data/economic analyst, or any positions that fits her major, please let me know.
    Thanks.
    X0LARIUM likes this.
    03-08-13 02:23 PM
    I hear a lot of people say that, "Start your own X...". I work in I.T. and if I did, I'd be scared to my wits end. I think I'd rather have someone else 'worry' about running the business, and I just get on with work day-to-day. At least when I get home, and can 'separate' from work, maybe play some Tomb Raider 2013, blowup stuff, and be okay
    03-08-13 02:26 PM
    Every time I get such feelings, I head out to an old age home close to my place. I spend some time there, a couple of hours, and come back feeling much better. I'm not saying this is 'the' way to go, but often similar situations create a feeling inside us, which helps to cheer up.
    X0LARIUM likes this.
    03-08-13 02:30 PM
    Wah.............
    03-08-13 03:18 PM
    Thanks man...

It is or gets that way in all jobs unless you're truly doing what you love. Even then I'm sure it sucks at times. They all have BS they all have their crap.
    03-08-13 03:24 PM
    I'm blessed to be doing a job I've done for twenty years. To some, it is a stress-filled job wrought with hazards and many downers. I have time to be philosophical, I serve people, I help people, and I see the purpose of life daily. I am content. I don't have to look for meaning;I live it.

I've had people tell me that I could be doing so much more, that I'm wasting my talents. I disagree. I do not live for others' dreams. I live for mine.
    ubizmo, X0LARIUM, ezrunner and 1 others like this.
    03-08-13 03:37 PM
    Iceborg, I've been teaching philosophy for 30 years, and I'm fortunate to have such a job. Its not big bucks but it's not a burnout either.

If you want to talk philosophy, start a thread...
    X0LARIUM and BergerKing like this.
    03-08-13 04:42 PM
    Every time I get such feelings, I head out to an old age home close to my place. I spend some time there, a couple of hours, and come back feeling much better. I'm not saying this is 'the' way to go, but often similar situations create a feeling inside us, which helps to cheer up.
    I often find something similar in talking to seniors. Many of them have a certain resigned peacefulness to them, and they certainly have experiences and accumulated wisdom. Of course, just like with younger people, the quality of the advice varies, but often, they have a big-picture perspective....they've seen it all, and been through it all - and often, what they've been through is so much more extreme than we see today.....having talked to people who lived through the world wars, the depression....your "problems" suddenly seem woefully underwhelming ;-)
    BergerKing and Cesare21 like this.
    03-08-13 10:48 PM
    I'm in my mid 30s. Change jobs and careers entirely every 2-3 years.

Every job I leave, the next one pays better .

The reality is, you need to enjoy your work, be good at it to survive. The myth we are all fed as kids (you must find that one magic love in your life, you must find that career) its all just a distraction.

Work is work, they pay you to be there. But don't be afraid to try something new.

And love is grand when you meet the right person. But you learn so many lessons from the wrong ones.

I dunno, if you want to quit - quit. If you want to be something else, just go do it. Your not in mortal danger, so any fear of change is self generated.

via Tapatalk
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-08-13 10:56 PM
    I hear a lot of people say that, "Start your own X...". I work in I.T. and if I did, I'd be scared to my wits end. I think I'd rather have someone else 'worry' about running the business, and I just get on with work day-to-day. At least when I get home, and can 'separate' from work, maybe play some Tomb Raider 2013, blowup stuff, and be okay
    Exactly my idea. I was never business minded. I hate money TBH. Or at least the complications involved with it. I really believe (and fear) we have given money such a high position in life, it has started to become the root of all troubles.

Well that's a beautiful thing to do. I wonder if I can do something similar. I am surely gonna give this one a try.

Iceborg, I've been teaching philosophy for 30 years, and I'm fortunate to have such a job. Its not big bucks but it's not a burnout either.

If you want to talk philosophy, start a thread...
    I'm game! Let's do that. I think it's one of the best things to have happened to me. My perspective towards the world has changed.

I often find something similar in talking to seniors. Many of them have a certain resigned peacefulness to them, and they certainly have experiences and accumulated wisdom. Of course, just like with younger people, the quality of the advice varies, but often, they have a big-picture perspective....they've seen it all, and been through it all - and often, what they've been through is so much more extreme than we see today.....having talked to people who lived through the world wars, the depression....your "problems" suddenly seem woefully underwhelming ;-)
    One day, I'm gonna be one..

I'm in my mid 30s. Change jobs and careers entirely every 2-3 years.

Every job I leave, the next one pays better .

The reality is, you need to enjoy your work, be good at it to survive. The myth we are all fed as kids (you must find that one magic love in your life, you must find that career) its all just a distraction.

Work is work, they pay you to be there. But don't be afraid to try something new.

And love is grand when you meet the right person. But you learn so many lessons from the wrong ones.

I dunno, if you want to quit - quit. If you want to be something else, just go do it. Your not in mortal danger, so any fear of change is self generated.

via Tapatalk
    Unfortunately, here in India, its not that simple. It takes a lifetime to get settled. And God forbid if something happens to u, your family is in for trouble...I will have to watch the tides before I start sailing..

Thank u all for your wonderful replies. I really feel at home here. Thanks again.

PS: I lost my other phone last night. I was so disoriented, tired and overworked, I don't remember where I kept it. Today morning I discovered its not with me. I tried calling, as expected, its switched off.

BergerKing likes this.
    03-09-13 12:15 AM
    Isn't the basic tenant of philosophy "Life's a and then you die"?

But seriously......
    I've never been one to fixate on money. Do what you enjoy, do it well, and if you can't make enough to survive, find something else you're passionate about. You do have responsibilities though, so there's no opportunity to say screw it, and take a year off to write that next great Indie novel.

You'll find your path young Jedi, just give it time. Till then, be content you're properly supporting your family, have time to share with them, and take solace that no matter what job you have, or level you're at, there's always going to be BS to deal with.
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-09-13 07:25 AM
    Life is what happens while we are making other plans.
    Shanerredflag and X0LARIUM like this.
    03-09-13 11:13 AM