I was looking around online at prices for the 360, and came across walmart selling a refurbished 360 20gb , comes with two controllers and other stuff as well. My question is well not so much a question but thinking should I get a refurbished one, its selling for $199 with the same warranty that a new one comes with. I knew when you use insurance on phones they send you refrubs, but were not talking about a phone.

So just looking for thoughts.

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-10 10:47 PM
    My personal experience with Xbox and Microsoft has been AWFUL so I'm a little biased here.

I bought my 360 on 11/22/2005 (launch day). That was obviously my first mistake.

Came with a 90 day warranty, it literally stopped working on day 92.

Got my replacement 3 weeks later, same thing. I don't remember how long it worked but I think it was about 4 months this time.

Got ANOTHER replacement after that, only worked for about 2 weeks.

Got my 4th unit, also quit working. This one did last a little longer than the others but I lost track of the time...

Got my last Xbox 360 around the middle of 2007, worked for a while and quit again. This time Microsoft decided to stop giving me free units and tried to charge me to have it fixed. Needless to say, I declined their offer politely (/sarcasm) and sold it and my ~25 games, 3 wireless controllers and a bunch of other accessories for ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY BUCKS. By far the worst investment I've ever made.

I spent over $1,000 on a piece of sh!t paperweight, I strongly advise you don't make the same mistake.

I don't highly recommend the PS3 either because it's not a whole lot better but I haven't ever had to replace it in the year I've owned it. Pretty sad I have to judge the quality of a product by whether or not it works at all.
    Last edited by KillYouWithMyMind; 01-13-10 at 09:48 AM.
    01-13-10 09:46 AM
    On the other hand i've had no problem with my 360 or my ps3, the biggest enemy of these units are heat. i know it sounds like way over kill but i hav seperate computer fans running from a seperate power source blowing cool air on the units while i have them on. Another thing that will help ATON is if you load the games onto the HDD drive v. playing them off of the CD because you do not have the CD-ROM driver fired up and running.

01-13-10 09:57 AM
    I'd buy new, the chipsets and reliability have improved greatly since the 20GB model anyway.

01-17-10 11:34 AM
    Yeah I would definitely say buy new. Refurb isnt always the best to go with on these type of products.
    01-17-10 01:07 PM
    On the other hand i've had no problem with my 360 or my ps3, the biggest enemy of these units are heat. i know it sounds like way over kill but i hav seperate computer fans running from a seperate power source blowing cool air on the units while i have them on. Another thing that will help ATON is if you load the games onto the HDD drive v. playing them off of the CD because you do not have the CD-ROM driver fired up and running.

HDD drive huh? Never thought abot that (don't have one either) might be a wise investment.

I have had to send mine in once because of the red ring of death. No problems since then though.
    01-17-10 07:22 PM
    As others have said, stay away from the refurb, not worth the risk. You can buy a brand new arcade model for the same price, just one controller, then add a refurb hard drive you can get for about $20.00 off ebay (20gb). Thats how i got started with my 360. A brand new xbox 360 will give you a three year warranty against the 'red ring of death'' and a year for all other failures. I have just recently started playing online and it's really a lot of fun. If you can, make sure you hook it up to a hi def tv, the graphics are just amazing.
    01-17-10 07:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD