I have had 5gb, now 4.5gb under their new plan model, through T-Mobile for a long while now...we are talking years. I never have been throttled or even come that close to it before...at least not that I can remember...

But somehow this month I blew through all my data and now I'm left with 6 days of throttled speeds. Oh, the horror! I figured I'd make a learning experience out of it and share some interesting observations about the process with you all:

Q1. Do you get tossed to GPRS/EDGE?

No. You stay connected to whatever protocol/network standard is available and optimal, as always. I presume this is implemented thusly to avoid gaps in coverage, though lack of 2G service but availability of 3G or 4G service is unlikely.

Q2. What is the speed?

It may vary a bit, but for me it seems about like EDGE.

Q3. How did you know the throttling started?

First, I got a free Tmo text message letting me know I had only 500mb to go. Then, about 600mb later, (yes, 600,) I got another free Tmo text message telling me the throttling started.

You can also see a yellow triangle with an "!" inside it, like a caution wet floor sign, by your line on My T-Mobile's mobile site. It will explain to you there, if you expand your line by clicking the "+", that you are being throttled.

Q4. Do they ever use the word "throttling"?

No. I just like that word. And it is commonly used by smartphone junkies such as myself, so that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

It is faster to say "I'm being throttled" than "my carrier is reducing my speed for the rest of the billing cycle." :-)

Q5. Are you okay?

No. I am not. I want to wipe that smug look after John Legere's face.

I'm kidding. I like him. And I am quite fond of T-Mobile. I chose to not use their truly unlimited plan because I make use of tethering...well...more mobile hotspot than tethering now. You get the point.

Have you ever been throttled? What was your experience like? If you are on a different carrier, was it a comparable experience in terms of being notified that you are being throttled? (To be honest, I heard Verizon charges you for data overages still. Ouch!) Sound off in the replies.

Yep, I'm still playing CB editor. It is a dream job of mine.

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.4780 TMO US
    10-06-13 03:03 PM
    That's why I use wifi at any chance, even though I'm on an unlimited data plan and have yet to ever be throttled.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 03:21 PM
    I don't get throttled often (never heard it used in this context before! ) and only have 2 GB of data. But then whenever I want to download anything at all, I so my best to use wfi.

When I do get throttled it's a pain in the b hole! So damn slow I feel like smashing my phone against the wall!

"If you can't soar with the eagles, then don't fly with the flock!"
    10-06-13 03:24 PM