I read the ajc every single day. I was checking the latest news today and in the upper corner of the page it said Breaking News: CDC confirms its first Swine Flu case in Georgia. I am terrified of getting that Flu or having to be around people in general right about now. Yea I may seem paranoid, but I cannot help it.

I will have a huge bottle of hand sanitizer. No one will drink after me nor will I drink after other people...not even my own mother. I will not give any high fives or shake anyone hands. If someone wants to touch something of mine or borrow it they MUST use hand sanitizer first and when it comes back it will get lysoled down. No more touching my face and this will be my main reason to stop biting my nails again!

Sorry I had to put a vent out there on this subject. Am I am the only scared about this?

EDIT///

Not totally scared anymore its airborn and if I get it then I go to the doc and get better! At first I was very scared, but I just opened my eyes and I'm fine now!
    Last edited by thinkamp; 05-06-09 at 07:56 AM. Reason: **** swine!
    04-30-09 10:43 AM
    I'm concerned, mostly for my elderly grandparents, and old people in general. There have been 5 confirmed cases in the UK now I believe.

I'll be carrying my hand sanitiser round from now on, altho I firmly believe if I'm going to get it I'm going to get it. At least most sufferers are responding well to treatment.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-09 10:53 AM
    wow now thats what you call taking PRECAUTION...
    04-30-09 10:54 AM
    there is now 7 suspected cases in NJ. but i dont want to live my life in fear of that occurance. yes there is an outbreak, but when you put it into perspective of how many people there are in the world, the number is so minimal, esp with only one death...
    04-30-09 10:56 AM
    I firmly believe if I'm going to get it I'm going to get it.

i believe that... ill do what i can to stay sanitized but i wont isolate myself from the general population..
    04-30-09 10:58 AM
    i still cannot help but be scared. i might not wear the mask until they have confirmed at least 5 -10 swine flu out breaks in GA. i am a rather healthy young lady and i plan to keep it that way. ohh and i am also going to by and bottle of vitamin c.
    04-30-09 11:00 AM
    I would not worry to that extent. I have the flu right now and it sucks but from what I see on the news is that if you take normal precautions you won't get sick.

Don't kiss people with the sniffles...
    Wash your hands...
    Don't over react �
    Use caution when you think someone is sick.

04-30-09 11:02 AM
    Okay maybe I should calm down a bit.
    But I will have a bottle of lysol on deck along with my hand sanitizer!
    04-30-09 11:04 AM
    Okay maybe I should calm down a bit.
    But I will have a bottle of lysol on deck along with my hand sanitizer!
    hahahhahah
    04-30-09 11:12 AM
    Don't feel bad Amp. I'm kind of freaked out about it as well.

But if you compare the total amount of people that have come down with or died from this to the regular flu it isn't that huge.

Regular flu has killed thousands since January - CNN.com

there is now 7 suspected cases in NJ. but i dont want to live my life in fear of that occurance. yes there is an outbreak, but when you put it into perspective of how many people there are in the world, the number is so minimal, esp with only one death...
    There has been more then one death from it. The difference is there has only been one death so far in the US.

04-30-09 11:41 AM
    Howdy thinkamp,

Nope I am no more worried about this flu than any other flu. When the swine flu was going around in the 80's it didn't cause a painic in the streets, but it was slashed all over the news, just like all versions of the flu have been over the years. The only thing that makes it "special" is that it is coming on at the tail end of our normal flu season.

Thousands of people in the US die every single year from unnamed flu. But it's mainly the very young (infant to 5 years old) and folks 65 and older than have the most deaths. Yes peple of all ages can and do die from the flu and related problems that come with it. Most people that die have either weakened immune systems, or delay getting medical treatment because they can't afford it or just don't think their that sick. And once a secondary infect crops up like pneumonia, which if it goes unchecked, can really do a number on an already sick and weakened person.

And with the very young, it is often hard to tell when they are really sick, if they do not show signs of being ill while awake. A lot of small children do not get high fevers when they are first getting sick, same for the elderly. And both will tend to show signs of being pretty sick in the evenings, when everything is closed, and no one wants to make that trip to the ER at midnight.

So like many others have said, during flu season or when something is going around, stay home if possible, wash your hands, and cover your coughs and sneezes. Avoid crowds in closed spaces when possible. If you are at the movies with 200 of your closest friends that are hacking up a lung, might be time to get a Netflix account.
    04-30-09 12:14 PM
    Im concerned for older people and babies becuase they can't fight off the flu strain very easily, but if people see their doctor when they have symptoms im sure this thing will be under control...just like the bird flu...

04-30-09 12:27 PM
    My gf is in her last teach week for college with a bunch of second graders and im just waiting any day now for her to come home with it. They are saying it has actually had a worse affect on 16-25 years olds. oddly enough
    04-30-09 01:05 PM
    NO. I am not worried. As the previous poster said, thousands of people die each yr. from the flu. Just Google it. The meda is selling ads, and the government is looking for you to depend on it more. It's called CONTROL.

04-30-09 01:29 PM
    Avian flu was so 2007, it's coming up on May sweeps whoever scares the most viewers into watching wins! It's like rich white girl syndrome in broadcast tv coverage of abducted children. If you put the cute white girl on screen it attracts more viewers equals more advertising.

04-30-09 01:36 PM
    This is freaking me out. Bad.

I want to break out one of those lil' masks...

But I don't want to look like Michael Jackson while wearing one-

Dilemmas, Dilemmas.

04-30-09 02:08 PM
    Glad I am not the ONLY one freaking out. I have calmed down a little, but I am still really scared not only for myself but the little kids and the grandparents. It's in God's hands and what is meant to happen will happen.
    04-30-09 02:22 PM
    What if it's all man made... like a way to thin the population?

I have heard all these conspiracy theories tying HIV/AIDs to the government...

What if this is just another government ploy?

Makes you think-

But the rationalist in me is trying to put things into perspective and hope 99%of this is all useless media hype.

Meanwhile, the reptilian aspect of my brain is in a state of fear, more or less.

Darn you brain! And your polarized method of thinking!

04-30-09 02:27 PM
    What if it's all man made... like a way to thin the population?

I have heard all these conspiracy theories tying HIV/AIDs to the government...

What if this is just another government ploy?

Makes you think-
    Just think if you're right for a second... Now the new and improved, government funded and controlled vaccine comes out in a few months. Who is first in line? Over 50, the sick and infirm, the high-risk groups... man, what a way to thin the ranks so the new health care would be able to fund everything else.
    04-30-09 02:59 PM
    My advice is to not stress out about it. It has been scientifically proven that undue stress can have adverse affects on a human's immune system, thus making you more vulnerable.

So, remain calm or it's, "hasta la vista, baby."
    04-30-09 03:31 PM
    Oh no... I'm a fighter... If I were to get it...

I would definitely kick that Flu in the rear and be done with it.

Vitamin C, Bach Flower Remedies, Visualization-

I just don't want to get it!
    04-30-09 03:33 PM
    I know this may seem quite cavalier but this thing isn't even
    on my radar. I've always practiced good hygiene. I am not
    changing anything.
    04-30-09 03:46 PM
    Oh no... I'm a fighter... If I were to get it...

I would definitely kick that Flu in the rear and be done with it.

Vitamin C, Bach Flower Remedies, Visualization-

I just don't want to get it!
    One of the troubling characteristics of "Swine Flu" is that Cytokine Storm is the main factor of fatalities from Swine Flu (reportedly).

This is why it has been (again, reportedly) hurting people in the "prime" of their lives (age 18-45) with strong immune systems along with those with weak ones (very young and very old).
    04-30-09 03:48 PM
    So with all this being said, and seeing my first civilian wearing a mask...

Who will be the first one on CB sporting on these baby's?

04-30-09 03:50 PM
    NOPE NOT SCARED A BIT. . .
    (and yes i had a post deleted)
    04-30-09 04:00 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD