Lately I've been getting very tired once I start to drive. I was probably tired before, but it just hit me once I start to drive...

It's been my fear for a while now that I'd nod off, and have an accident. Well, yesterday at 16:45'ish, it happened! Thank God he was watching me. I hit someone in a Sequoia!. Traffic was heavy, and I must have nodded for a split second.

Hitting her with my Escape, dead on did not cause that much damage. It seems to be mainly bumper damage, same with mine. I think had I been more alert and tried to turn or something then it would have been much worst...

Anyway, after all that, my question is besides:

1. having the windows open...
    2. playing music, loud if necessary...
    3. eating something...

...what are other way of staying wake?
    05-05-07 09:16 AM
    Every year I take my family to Florida for x-mas so my wife can see her mom. I do the 26hr drive straight. Cafine is my best friend during that drive, as well as taking stops and walking around for 15-20 minutes. Also talking, when the rest of my family is sleeping, I'll talk to the radio or something. Keeps me awake and going.
    05-05-07 09:27 AM
    Glad all is ok, Navilyn!!!

I wish I could say use your Blackberry - I know that would keep you awake

If music isn't doing it, how about a book on CD or something like that -might keep you more awake.....

Lately I've been getting very tired once I start to drive. I was probably tired before, but it just hit me once I start to drive...

It's been my fear for a while now that I'd nod off, and have an accident. Well, yesterday at 16:45'ish, it happened! Thank God he was watching me. I hit someone in a Sequoia!. Traffic was heavy, and I must have nodded for a split second.

Hitting her with my Escape, dead on did not cause that much damage. It seems to be mainly bumper damage, same with mine. I think had I been more alert and tried to turn or something then it would have been much worst...

Anyway, after all that, my question is besides:

1. having the windows open...
    2. playing music, loud if necessary...
    3. eating something...

...what are other way of staying wake?
    05-05-07 11:42 AM
    Glad you are ok....i would offer my chatting but *cough cough* think its illegal.....

I think having enough rest is the only thing.... i know its hard with a young'un
    05-05-07 02:44 PM
    Glad you're ok navilyn - that's scary stuff.

I have a couple of tricks...

First: if the ride is a few hours in length (let's say 4 or less), drink a TON of water. I mean a TON. It's impossible to fall asleep when your bladder is full to the brim and all you can think about is hitting the washroom. You'll for sure stay awake. Hold it too long though and you may blow something (i believe that happened to Grandpa Simpson one episode). You tend to speed a lot over the limit with this approach though, as you're always rushing to hit the next gas station and/or destination.

Second: Sing! Random song after song is kind of tough though - time kills slow. I used to drive back and forth to Minneapolis a lot from Winnipeg, and found listening to musicals did the trick. Each musical is like a movie...so everytime you go through one it's an hour and a half of time killed. Not really into that stuff...borrowed a bunch from a friend. Now I feel ohh soo cultured - know most of Broadway off by heart. I tried Audio books and educational stuff first, but that puts me to sleep faster than silence. Need something with rhythm and a beat.
    05-05-07 02:57 PM
    Kevin those are some great ideas... but I have found a triple expresso from Starbucks to help also
    05-05-07 04:05 PM
    Thanks for all the replies! It looks like I'll be getting a cafe' mocha grande, daily, on my way home.

Sitting in traffic for over an hour, is just tiring...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-07 04:37 PM

Have your mechanic check your car as maybe you're getting some carbon monoxide from the exhaust leaking into the cabin.

05-06-07 11:19 AM
    I like to randomly drive around at night. This can cause a problem because I tend to become sleepy. Pulling over and stretching helps a lot. Like somone else said musicals are a great way to pass the time.
    05-06-07 12:14 PM
    Baggman, Scary! Navilyn, I hope this isn't your issue

Kevin, great ideas - SO uncomfortable with the full bladder Starbucks also a winner, Kasper.

Navilyn, let me know if you want some musical suggestions!
    05-06-07 05:15 PM
    i'm glad i'm not the only one!! i tend to get extremely sleepy driving at night...especially after a really full meal, and it totally doesn't help when the other people in the car are all passed out...lol. so over the years, i've come up with a few trickst

cheungsta's "Stay-Awake Tricks":
    1. talk on the phone - start calling people, and make them talk to you
    2. blast the AC - even if the other people in the car start shivering, this works pretty well
    3. open the windows - see #2
    4. blast the music - even if there are other people passed out in the car, they usually are too passed out to hear the music
    5. shift around in your seat - promotes blood flow and will wake you up (for a short while)
    6. slap yourself in the face (a few times is most effective) - my all time favorite

i'm still working on adding to the list, but one thing that DOES NOT work, is having someone give you a massage while driving...i found that out yesterday...it kept putting me TO sleep...lol.
    05-07-07 08:44 AM
    Slap yourself in the face - will have to add that to the list :-)

05-07-07 10:17 AM
    6. slap yourself in the face (a few times is most effective) - my all time favorite
    Been there, done that too many times.. and it works... just might have a red face when you get to where you are going
    05-07-07 10:19 AM
    A safe and powerful method for staying awake is to use Modafini. Modafini was originally developed for the treatment of narcolepsy. It is also a memory-improving and mood-brightening psycho-stimulant. It's a second generation amphetamine which means, basically, it has all the benefits of amphetamines with little or none of their traditional side effects such as jitteriness or anxiety. This is powerful prescription medication, but it works, and helping to keep oneself awake at the wheel would be an appropriate use of this valuable medication. I've written a longer article about my own experiences with this drug this that contains some useful information -- it's one place you can start if you're interested in investigating further: helium.com/tm/315050/great-question-essential-skill.
    05-13-07 12:21 AM
    Was it better this week, Navilyn?
    05-13-07 01:23 PM
    A safe and powerful method for staying awake is to use Modafini. Modafini was originally developed for the treatment of narcolepsy. It is also a memory-improving and mood-brightening psycho-stimulant. It's a second generation amphetamine which means, basically, it has all the benefits of amphetamines with little or none of their traditional side effects such as jitteriness or anxiety. This is powerful prescription medication, but it works, and helping to keep oneself awake at the wheel would be an appropriate use of this valuable medication. I've written a longer article about my own experiences with this drug this that contains some useful information -- it's one place you can start if you're interested in investigating further: helium.com/tm/315050/great-question-essential-skill.

I'd be hesitant driving while taking amphetamines, even if they were prescribed. In most states you can still be arrested for DWI or DUI for things other than alcohol, and this most certainly causes me concern.
    05-13-07 05:55 PM
    Unless you're actually diagnosed with a medical condition, Navilyn which requires the use of a drug like this, I would also say stick to slapping your face, loud music, windows open, Starbucks and sadly no emailing/texting . IMHO --

Be safe!!!
    05-13-07 06:11 PM
    Thanks for checking in. It was slightly better, but got a long way to go. I'm still taking my vitamines (two BIG pills!). Am sure after this week, it will really kick in...

Was it better this week, Navilyn?
    05-13-07 09:03 PM
    I keep trying to stay on vitamins. Not all that great at it. - let me know when they start working and what type. Sounds like a plan is in place

Thanks for checking in. It was slightly better, but got a long way to go. I'm still taking my vitamines (two BIG pills!). Am sure after this week, it will really kick in...
    05-14-07 10:17 AM
    OMG Navilyn, you have to be more careful. If you're out of commission the Mod squad would be incomplete. Try cappachino, coffee, chocolate, anything with caffeine. I work 52miles from my house and sometimes it takes me an 1 1/2 to get to work, so I'm exhausted by the end of the day. Texting and using bb msgr usually helps me out also. Hope this helps

08-08-07 09:47 PM
    Try to fall asleep. It seems like I can never sleep when I try to.

j/k, don't try that.
    08-08-07 09:58 PM
    i drive for a living everyday all day and night 11 hrs a day of driving and the best thing to do when tired is pull off the road coffee, music cold air none of that works a 15 min cat nap works wonders i been driving a truck for 11 yrs and i tried everything a short nap is the best thing to do. be safe and since you are in atl 285 75 85 you gotta be at 100% on that crazy area
    08-08-07 11:14 PM
    Wow Nav, glad everything is ok. Wicked and RENT are my favourite musicals to sing along with. Except at stoplights when there are people next to me. I roll the windows up lol.
    08-08-07 11:23 PM
    ...Except at stoplights when there are people next to me. I roll the windows up lol.
    Just look at em and keep singing. Tell them you're singing to keep awake. I am sure they will appreciate the gesture of not being run of the road by a sleeping driver.
    08-09-07 07:54 AM
    Definitely check out what Baggman said, especially if this is a sudden phenomenon.

I sometimes have that same problem on my commute home. I can usually tell when it's a blood-sugar issue. Are you perchance diabetic or hypoglycemic? I was diagnosed diabetic several years ago, but I am non-medicated. If I were to be diagnosed today, I would probably be classified "pre-diabetic," a term that wasn't around when I was originally diagnosed.

Try to moderate your lunchtime carb intake. Make sure you take some protein with your carbs, as this helps your body moderate the blood-sugar spikes from eating. (This is for everyone, even non-diabetics. If I have to much bread and/or sugar at lunch, I will be a total zombie on the way home. Keep a few pieces of hard candy in your car, or a snack like a granola bar or something to stave off the blood sugar dip during the ride.

If none of the above applies, as I hope it doesn't, try upbeat music that you MUST sing to, cold cold cold A/C, and this:

+

Seriously, though glad you're ok! Be safe!
    08-09-07 08:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD