I just sold an unlocked Storm 2 by Verizon that I won from an auction site last 2 weeks. The problem is, I think the buyer might be trying to scam me by asking for a refund for product defect. (He had only 1 feedback on eBay before the transaction with me).

First, he complained that the green button (call button) on the phone doesn't work, he went to Verizon to activate the phone but Verizon peeps said no go as there's no simcard in it, and the imei/pin etc. details on the side of the box has been torn up.

I told him that I tested every single thing on the phone before I sent it to him (put in my sim card and made a call). There's no need for him to go to Verizon to activate it as it's already unlocked (unless he wants a phone line from Verizon). And I told him I have pictures of the box being in great shape when I send it to him.

He then replied the ON button doesn't work. He said that Verizon peeps couldn't activate the phone as they couldn't turn on the phone, but they also found out there's already two phone numbers saved in the phone. (Is there even any way to check the contact list without turning on the phone?)

What do you guys think is going on here? He paid me through Paypal and I already received the money in my bank. I'm just concerned if he might reverse charge it. I do have pictures of the box (with the phone details such as IMEI, pin etc) and also the phone. However, I do not have a video recording that the phone works. Is there any way I could request from RIM/Verizon or whoever to check if the PIN is currently being used?

p/s: On a side note, I sent it using UPS Ground insured for $400.
    03-02-10 03:27 AM
    Smells like a scam to me. If it worked when you sent it, then he prbly messed it up.
    03-02-10 03:50 AM
    Look out for low activity scammers on eBay. He will definitely file a 'not as advertised' claim with PayPal and try to get his money back through PayPal from you. Several scammers use this tactic, get their money back, claim that they shipped your 'defective device' back to you, and they get to keep everything!
    03-02-10 12:28 PM
    Smells like a scam. I would ask the buyer to return you the phone and refund his money. Make sure he returns the same phone you sent him. Good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-10 12:57 PM
    Is there any way I could avoid him from reversing the Paypal charge? I know I could remove my bank and credit card details from Paypal, but would that work? I know I shouldn't be worried if I'm on the right side, but I'm just too lazy to get through all the hassle of him maybe creating a dispute through Paypal or for me to get the phone back and try to resell it on eBay.
    03-02-10 03:21 PM
    If he opens a dispute, paypal will contact you. They won't just take your money. Try contacting him and tell him to send you the phone back and you'll give him his refund.

03-02-10 03:23 PM
    If he opens a dispute, paypal will contact you. They won't just take your money. Try contacting him and tell him to send you the phone back and you'll give him his refund.

Make sure you clean up your paypal account, they could freeze your account during the investigation
    03-03-10 10:06 AM
    Make sure you clean up your paypal account, they could freeze your account during the investigation
    Yeah, what he said...clean up your Paypal and bail...for future reference - ALWAYS add a disclaimer to your postings stating that all sales are final and that you are shipping the product in the above described condition - it's up to the seller to purchase insurance, bla bla bla.

Good luck...I hope the dude goes away.
    03-14-10 12:09 AM
    Man, for sure sounds like a scam.

Reason why I don't like paypal. I have been had for the same type of incident years ago and they sided with the buyer and they got everything. Never used paypal again...

Hope you don't have my luck.
    03-14-10 12:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD