I've had Norton for years but they're starting to **** me off. My subscription has expired but I notice when I click on renew it takes me to their website and a renewal costs $39.99. But if I simply do a search for antivirus programs, I can download the entire new 2009 Norton antivirus for ten bucks less. Why are these people trying to gouge existing customers and not new customers? It ****es me off. It's just enough for me to never use Norton again.

So what antivirus do you use and why?
    06-04-09 01:26 AM
    AVG it's free.
    06-04-09 01:30 AM
    I use avast, i have been using it for years and i have never had a problem, its free as well!!
    06-04-09 03:41 AM
    Avira, it's free. Malwarebytes for spywares and free too. For free online scanners, check out bitdefender, karspersky and esetnod.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-09 06:43 AM
    Symantec Corporate Edition, it's free to me since i'm military and far exceeds the capabilities of it's counterpart Norton or any of the free ones. Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D 1.6.2, all included in my tweaks and system performance steps listed on my website in my link.

Now, before I get flamed, yes I know people atest and stand by Avira, Avast and AVG free editions, I not saying there's anything wrong with those commitments. I specifically stating that in MY field trials and tests, they don't stand up to corporate edition anti-virus software, period. But each person has their favorite for whatever reason.
    06-04-09 07:32 AM
    Avast all the way, never have any problems
    06-04-09 09:11 AM
    Nod32

10AV scans
    06-04-09 09:18 AM
    I use Mcafee. I misread the thread title...I thought it said what kind of protection do you use LOL

06-04-09 10:18 AM
    I use avast, i have been using it for years and i have never had a problem, its free as well!!
    Ditto , i have tried avg and had many issues though
    06-04-09 10:20 AM
    Antivir is what I use
    06-04-09 10:21 AM
    AVG here, too. There's no need paying when there's perfectly good free stuff out there. I also suggest using Spybot and Adware. Both, also free.

06-04-09 10:56 AM
    I prefer Trojans as my anti-virus........Oh....wait. You meant my computer?
    06-04-09 01:43 PM
    I prefer Trojans as my anti-virus........Oh....wait. You meant my computer?
    Bwahahahaha!
    06-04-09 10:14 PM
    ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4
    06-05-09 12:10 AM
    Comodo - also free
    06-05-09 12:17 PM
    I currently use, Sophos on my work PC, McAfee on my home PC, Norton on my Spouse's PC.
    I've heard great things about Avast.
    I also like installing Ad-Aware on all my Windows PC's.
    In my experience most virus software works fine, if you keep it up-to-date, and you use some common sense when browsing and opening attachments.
    06-05-09 01:49 PM
    Lifestyles, sometimes....oh!

Sorry, wrong hard drive.

06-05-09 02:42 PM
    no virus protection because im running on a mac
    06-07-09 09:40 AM
    None! I have a Mac!
    06-07-09 09:45 AM
    I use Macafee because I got it free. It's the full version from their site, not a pirated copy
    06-10-09 07:59 PM
    Currently, I using KasperSky Anti-Virus from 2 years and i have no any problem with KasperSky. If you looking for new antivrus; i suggest to try KasperSky.
    06-11-09 09:06 AM
    Here's what I posted on a different site where someone asked the similar based question, it's lengthy but I hope you see light in what I state. I won't disclose the website specifically because my username is my R/L name and it pertains to locksmiths/locksmithing/Non-destructive Entry and other things considered criminal and immoral without the proper education.

A bit late on the chime in but nevertheless.....

As far as A/V software goes, for the home user, NORTON, NOT Symantec, will absolutely destroy or lock you out of your computer if you don't know what the **** you're doing with it, especially with the introduction of Endpoint Protection. Symantec, on the the other hand which is the corporate level/grade/series whatever you want to call it, runs lean and mean.

Stay away from products that provide AIO services. I've ran a significant amount of tests on "this product name with a/v protection and spyware protection and this that and the other thing built in" and what i've conclusively found across 3000 computers, is they're purely JUNK software written for the masses. Nothing but resource hogs that bog your system down. Sure they might catch something every now and then but the problem is when one part of the program gets corrupted, the rest of it is soon to follow. This again, is my own test field, take it for what it's worth to you.

I personally like either corporate edition of McAfee or Symantec. Out of my trials, these two caught better than 98% of all viri (plural for virus) infections and their variants. The next best runner up was NOD32 and then bringing up the rear with just as many false positives as actual catches were Kapersky and Avast! and Antivir. Again, take my stats from across 3000+ machines for what it's worth.

Malware, you're going to get it unless you have strict policies in place or you have a really beefed up HOSTS file that already has 25k+ entries to block. Sure you can do it all manually if you don't have anything better to do, or you can download a free program that modifies and preloads your hosts file to auto block sites that are already known to cause malware issues.

My personal aresenal is Spybot S&D 1.6.2 and Malwarebytes, that coupled with a solid hardware based firewall set up with port forwarding/triggering so I can control who's snooping what and where, and WPA2. WPA2 can still be cracked as it was previously stated, however, WPA/WPA2 don't carry the overhead that WEP does, thus leading to few signal drops/disconnects. That coupled with a couple of little scripts that run during boot up to clean the crap out before I even start computing every morning. I don't really have any issues and I surf the net like I stole it.

Also, i'd suggest downloading the MS Baseline Security Analyzer tool which will scan your system and compare it to known MS databases to show you where you might have a patch issue. Can't complain about not being as secure as you can be if you're not patching on a regular basis.

If you want to get crazy insane secure, run your entire computer off a shell model with dummy storage pointers. ****, run a VM machine, then if and when it gets hacked and crashed, just restore it and you're back up and running in no time with no damage to your physical box.

There's a lot of different ways to skin a cat, the biggest thing in mind to consider is what specifically are you looking for and what works for you, not what works for everyone else.

I've posted it before, but here's my website, Helljack6.com with other tips and tricks about going crazy with your computer. Hope this all helps.

Forgot, Backups.........you can't do them enough. I back everything I have up to a separate stand alone file server weekly as well as creating a ghost image of the system for rapid restoring in the even I crash. I generally keep about 10 ghost images and backups on the server at one time, archived backups are burned to disk and then filed away, ghost backups are generally kept until they hit the last sequence in my 10 and then are over written but I maintain the original initial image that got me there so it's really easy to go back to start if I had/decided to as well.
    06-11-09 10:53 AM
    Avira personal. Hardware spi firewall, at router level on my linksys wrt54g running dd-wrt. Seperated to 5 wireless access points, split to allow certain connection times and people. Use limited user accounts not admin.

06-11-09 03:23 PM
    I have used most probably like a few, quite a lot .

Norton..can't stand it..traced a trojan back to them..used live help they wanted remote access and to charge me $69.99 to remove what they had allowed in.. subs time they got canned

macafee..dunno it just feels like it's not doing anything and I have no confidence in it

kaspersky so far has been on the button

as to free items.... I have used with no complaints.. avg, adaware, zone alarm independent firewall, spybot, malaware bytes and reva uninstaller and all have done what was expected from them
    06-11-09 04:22 PM
    Avast all the way, never have any problems
    ^^^ Truth. I only use Avast now
    06-11-09 04:58 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD