Having dabbled with MDM I am guessing that some of these devices were just issued out in "supervised mode" and had an apple policy put in place on the device.

It's a shame the story isnt more detailed, would like to know if any decent MDM had even been used.

Students Are 'Hacking' Their School-Issued iPads: Good for Them - Audrey Watters - The Atlantic
    10-09-13 11:11 AM
    I'm not surprised at this at all. Students these days are very, very smart when it comes to Tech, and if there is a way, they will find it.
    10-09-13 11:47 AM
    This is a major reason why school districts DO NOT want to invest money in an ipad for every student. No way to keep them in working (ie un-screwed up) format. Also, schools get money to purchase these items under grants and those grants specify the use of a filter for internet sites and the like. (or no money for devices)

So there are two sides to every story.
    10-09-13 12:01 PM
    Psh, we would hack our school's laptops, PCs, Ipads, and pretty much anything with Internet access! There was even a group of kids who were your "go to" people in case you wanted to access blocked sites. Lol. Everyone loved them. Haha

"If you can't soar with the eagles, then don't fly with the flock!" (BBM#18)
    10-10-13 08:29 AM
    Psh, we would hack our school's laptops, PCs, Ipads, and pretty much anything with Internet access! There was even a group of kids who were your "go to" people in case you wanted to access blocked sites. Lol. Everyone loved them. Haha

The wi-fi at school is no closed to all but MAC addresses in the table. There were so many devices hogging the bandwidth that we couldn't get anything done!
    10-10-13 08:57 AM

Also, use of the internet in our district requires the students sign an AUP which gives them guidelines as to what they can and can't do. Working their way around a blocked site earns them kicked off the internet for a set period and their password revoked. They can't use the internet unless they sign the policy.
    10-10-13 08:58 AM
    Also, use of the internet in our district requires the students sign an AUP which gives them guidelines as to what they can and can't do. Working their way around a blocked site earns them kicked off the internet for a set period and their password revoked. They can't use the internet unless they sign the policy.
    Incoming old man 'hey you kids, get off my lawn' type rant...

Maybe it's just me but we were plenty productive in school without access to the internet.. The only good that really came of getting internet access in our highschool was the ad revanue from selling add space on the screen savers, log in screens and desktops on the library computers...

How about we try teaching kids how to do simple things like read and write and once they've mastered that they can move on to learning how to use computers... There are FAR too many young people out there who can neither read nor write cursive writing. Am I the only one who is seriously concerned by this? I would be the first person in line lobbying against an ipad or laptop for every kid in my children's school. Teach the kids the fundamentals. There is lots of time to learn how to use computers and even more time for old goats like myself to shake my head at store clerks who are mysteriously lose the ability to make change when their register goes down.. /rant

I'm gonna go gum on some creamed corn and mutter quietly to myself about how things were better in my day (and apologize for going off topic and the not so minor threadjacking...)
    bradu1, jaydee5799 and J Morehouse like this.
    10-10-13 01:03 PM

Maybe it's just me but we were plenty productive in school without access to the internet.. The only good that really came of getting internet access in our highschool was the ad revanue from selling add space on the screen savers, log in screens and desktops on the library computers...

How about we try teaching kids how to do simple things like read and write and once they've mastered that they can move on to learning how to use computers... There are FAR too many young people out there who can neither read nor write cursive writing. Am I the only one who is seriously concerned by this? I would be the first person in line lobbying against an ipad or laptop for every kid in my children's school. Teach the kids the fundamentals. There is lots of time to learn how to use computers and even more time for old goats like myself to shake my head at store clerks who are mysteriously lose the ability to make change when their register goes down.. /rant

I'm gonna go gum on some creamed corn and mutter quietly to myself about how things were better in my day (and apologize for going off topic and the not so minor threadjacking...)
    The skills are provided at school. But kids just choose not to accept it. They're horrible. Maybe they could do hand out these electronics on a rewards basis?

10-10-13 01:05 PM
    There is loopholes though. For example I got my account banned on many an occasion. But since I had a several classes where all work was done through computer, the tech people were forced to unblock it for me to be able to do my work

jaydee5799 likes this.
    10-10-13 01:07 PM
    Does anyone think that all the people that were posting to rogers social media accounts were actual customers?

Posted via my better half ZED (BBM#42)
    10-10-13 07:27 PM

No. I understand what you are saying. Too many of them cannot do the simple common sense things we expect a well-rounded adult to do. It is a shame. And the dependence on the computer as a time-waster just furthers this. I get what you are saying. But there are some great purposes served by technology too. We can't deny that.
    10-10-13 08:14 PM
    Seriously, the technology at my high school is so bad. Half the time the internet doesn't work, none of the programs are updated (browsing is impossible to do with an Internet Explorer that needs to be updated), the school website always crashes, almost all of the websites are blocked. Also, the new computers our library purchased are slower than the old ones.

The only way to get decent internet access is to wait until you catch wind of the password to the teacher's Wifi.

Schools should stay away from technology because they can't make it work. Ever.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    10-10-13 11:35 PM
    Does anyone think that all the people that were posting to rogers social media accounts were actual customers?

Posted via my better half ZED (BBM#42)
    A bit off topic but probably. Haha. I don't know why a person who wasn't a customer would bother to complain. Lol

10-10-13 11:37 PM
    No. I understand what you are saying. Too many of them cannot do the simple common sense things we expect a well-rounded adult to do. It is a shame. And the dependence on the computer as a time-waster just furthers this. I get what you are saying. But there are some great purposes served by technology too. We can't deny that.
    Very true.
    I will never forget my grade 10 math teacher though who would refuse to let us use our calculators until we could prove to him that it wasn't just a magical black box, that we had at least an understanding of what the answer should be so that if we keyed something into the calculator incorrectly and got an answer that made absolutely no sense we would look for the error, not just put down the wrong answer and move on.

I guess I can be happy that at least my daughter is so excited to finally be able to learn and use 'fancy writing'.. hopefully some of that will rub off on my son who even in senior kindergarten sees any and all printing as a waste of time unless he's printing a secret note to someone.
    10-11-13 08:57 AM