Unless I've misunderstood the intent of the OP, they're trained at some level to use some type of firearm whether it be handgun or assault rifle. Otherwise they probably would not have mentioned being part of the NRA since age 12.

There's nothing tactical about an improvised sawed off 12gauge shotgun with #10 shot. The scenario I gave intended on the "victim" being able to see the "intruder" before being see, thus having the element of first contact/first action/suprise.
    You're correct - i'm sure they handle plenty of handguns/rifles/shotguns. but most people are not trained in CQC esp. with a weapon the size of a shotgun.

I have a good friend of mine name Chris and my cousin Sam who have both been in/serve in the USMC, and a friend named Mike who is a active duty police officer. Who i've asked for some pointers on handling my 20 gauge effectively and efficiently and how to engage in CQC, not to say I'm perfect at it. but i know from going through level one and level two handgun NRA training you're not going to pick up a shotgun and know how to handle it properly in CQC - without having any type of training.

and having the first shot or the element of surprise is always a GOOD thing, but once you've made your self known you no longer have the element of surprise, and you need to know how to protect yourself using CQC either involving firearms or not involving firearms.

Don't get me wrong i keep my 20inch 20 gauge locked and loaded for just a case where i might need it, but i've practiced getting around my house with it (emptied and with the trigger removed of course) making sure i know where to take cover and where i can see what at what angle, but most people don't take the time to educate themselves about their house should a need arise. that is my whole point against shotguns in the house. if you've taken time to train and "practice" then fine use them, but using a 3ft long weapon in CQ is alot harder than a 4inch pistol.
    Last edited by mjneid; 06-04-09 at 01:24 PM.
    06-04-09 01:17 PM
    my work vehicle is an 07 Aveo...handguns only in that one; my play vehicle is an 03 Pathfinder...plenty of room under a carefully modified backseat for a shotgun or rifle to be safely clamped in place and readily accessible...flip the seatbottom up; remove one rubber strap and bingo...shotgun in hand.
    most pickups and suvs have room under or behind seats.
    plenty of people in AZ still sporting window mounted gun racks.
    you know someone that is decent with a blade will have taken you out by the time you get your shot gun out of the window and ready to fire...... just food for thought, the Taurus Judge is the best of both worlds, shoots 45 long colt and/or .410 shot shell.
    06-04-09 01:17 PM
    but i've practiced getting around my house with it (emptied and with the trigger removed of course)
    Yes, that would stink to blow a hole in through the kitchen wall.

I agree with you, and like your two friends in the Marines, i'm in the Army, I've done time in Iraq and have been for the lack of better terms, educated on MOUT and CQC. Perhaps my example was too vauge for the situation at hand. If it was, my apologies for the confusion.
    06-04-09 02:57 PM
    you know someone that is decent with a blade will have taken you out by the time you get your shot gun out of the window and ready to fire...... just food for thought, the Taurus Judge is the best of both worlds, shoots 45 long colt and/or .410 shot shell.
    right...I'd be all over the gas pedal and away first...then I'd have my pistol out and in use before I went digging for the long gun...I was just saying that I carry my long guns this way, and answering the question about what size cars I drive.
    I'm going gun store for some shopping soon and will definitely look into the Taurus you speak of; ammo is inexpensive...and I've heard good stuff about Taurus although I've never owned one...thanks for the info.
    06-04-09 03:04 PM
    Are you intending on using a Surefire High Intensity flash light? If so, you could, just blind stun them long enough to get close enough to use the tail of your weapon of choice to knock them out cold, no shots fired there! Fine example of leathal with non deadly force if you ask me.

I guess my reason for choosing a 12 gauge over a handgun is based on unknowns. I don't know if he/she is armed, I don't know how many there are, and I don't know what they're intending on doing. My personal experiences leads me to believe that given the previously stated situation, my shotgun just has to be pointed in the general direction whereas my handgun would require me to sight in specifically even with both eyes open. The time it takes for me to put my hand gun center mass on a closing target is less time I have to react should I miss due to whatever reason. Yes, I could still miss with a shotgun, however, because of the spread pattern, i'm not going to miss a full load shot by much. The intruder is still going to get hit unless they're faster than the speeding bullets.

NO, I don't ever want to have to unload a volley of shot gun rounds in my house. But significantly, I weigh in things such as who outside or next door can hear a handgun vs a shotgun from a basement room and call 911 for me. Is the sound of a .44 going to stop additional intruders dead in their tracks vs the sound of a shotgun followed up by the pump reloading sound.
    I agree with you that the the sound of a pump shotgun reloading a round would be enough to scare off many a would be intruder...
    06-04-09 03:10 PM
    right...I'd be all over the gas pedal and away first...then I'd have my pistol out and in use before I went digging for the long gun...I was just saying that I carry my long guns this way, and answering the question about what size cars I drive.
    I'm going gun store for some shopping soon and will definitely look into the Taurus you speak of; ammo is inexpensive...and I've heard good stuff about Taurus although I've never owned one...thanks for the info.

Shoots .410 ShotGun Ammo and shoots .45Colt Long.
    Judge Video .
    06-04-09 03:10 PM
    I agree with you that the the sound of a pump shotgun reloading a round would be enough to scare off many a would be intruder...
    believe it or not my parents have a .22 pistol loaded with bird shot and my kid sister pepper'd their wall with bird shot on accident.
    06-04-09 03:17 PM
    I work in a military aviation facility and all the people I work with, are gun owners. One of which is a registered dealer. When posed with the same question except openeded on the type of handgun, they recommended the Sig 227/229? I don't own hand guns, just a shotgun and many many usable swords and knives.
    06-04-09 03:30 PM
    I work in a military aviation facility and all the people I work with, are gun owners. One of which is a registered dealer. When posed with the same question except openeded on the type of handgun, they recommended the Sig 227/229? I don't own hand guns, just a shotgun and many many usable swords and knives.
    Sig's are a really nice service pistol - similar to the German made Glock.
    06-04-09 03:32 PM

I still think the O.P. had the best idea for home defense. A revolver. Low maintenance. No levers or safeties to worry about. More than enough to get the job done.
    Blkbear likes this.
    06-04-09 04:08 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD