Samsung users were notified that their stock "message hub" app (much like BlackBerry Hub) is being discontinued.

Samsung has collaborated with BlackBerry in the past, with Knox and other projects. Could we see BlackBerry's Hub as the new stock "message hub" app on Samsung devices?

This would definitely be a move well suited for BlackBerry's new licensing strategy.

Aside: I could also see BlackBerry Hub+ Services power the Edge panels on Samsung devices...
    08-25-16 07:27 PM
    That would be a real coup.

Ride or die:  PRIVelege-acy
    08-25-16 07:30 PM
    I thought that maybe Samsung was going to buy out BlackBerry a few years ago. When I got my Tab4 there was this thing called the Hub they had but I could never get it. It "disappeared". I had figured that BlackBerry had some patent leverage or something like that over Samsung.

Posted via CB App for Android on Tab4 (interim Playbook replacement)
    08-25-16 08:45 PM
    That's very possible that you will see the BB Hub+ services preinstalled on Samsung devices. But I would also expect it to be the same apps you can download and use now that will charge a monthly fee.
    08-26-16 09:55 AM
    What happened to the new Hub-like Focus app that was suppose to make it into the new Note? Doubt Samsung would put the Hub in, they like to do things in-house.
    08-26-16 10:54 AM
    What happened to the new Hub-like Focus app that was suppose to make it into the new Note? Doubt Samsung would put the Hub in, they like to do things in-house.
    Like flipboard?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-26-16 11:43 AM
    Like flipboard?

Flipboard is a core system app?

The reason Samsung isn't going to have the Hub is because does not give them any flexibility and ties them to an entity they do not control. If they cannot work around Blackberry patents on the Hub they may seek to license what they have to and then build around it ala Blackberry VKB with Swiftkey.
    08-26-16 12:02 PM
    08-26-16 02:55 PM
    Well it is KNOX powered by BlackBerry.

It could be [insert Samsung App name] powered by BlackBerry too for the Hub+ Services. You can license and repackage the software under your own brand. BlackBerry does that with hardware, I'm sure it's acceptable at a software level too.
    08-26-16 04:42 PM
    Well it is KNOX powered by BlackBerry.

It could be [insert Samsung App name] powered by BlackBerry too for the Hub+ Services. You can license and repackage the software under your own brand. BlackBerry does that with hardware, I'm sure it's acceptable at a software level too.
    what does that even mean 'powered by Blackberry'. Knox existed before Blackberry got involved and we still don't know what they had to do with subsequent versions just some nebulous media stories that Samsung and BB were working together with Knox and BES12. Guess Android is 'powered by Blackberry' too since Google and BB worked together to make Android for Work compatible with BES12.

Again the Samsung trend in the last few years is to develop core apps/functions in-house. They even developed a whole separate OS, Tizen in case the time came to separate from Google. There are huge problems with just licensing the Hub for Galaxy such as depending on BB to update features, determining what can get integrated and timelines. BB has similar issues with Android such as the notification system not being up to par with BB10, Nougat improves this but I'm sure it is a PITA to depend on Google for it.
    08-26-16 07:07 PM
    Samsung's stock Keyboard on Galaxy phones is built / licensed by Swiftkey.

Pretty sure a universal inbox could be licensed if there's no better alternative on the market (or internal Samsung development to beat BlackBerry's).

At the same time, Samsung could just do without a universal inbox... but that wouldn't suit their business phone strategy.

08-26-16 10:05 PM
    Or I'm just in over my head.

08-26-16 10:07 PM
    Samsung's stock Keyboard on Galaxy phones is built / licensed by Swiftkey.

Samsung's keyboard is like Blackberry's VKB. Swiftkey provides an SDK to incorporate their predictions into an app created by Samsung or Blackberry which is why when Samsung had an security issue with their keyboard it was Samsung's issue to patch not Swiftkey.
    08-27-16 01:38 AM
    Or I'm just in over my head.

Is being over your own head like an out of body experience? Sounds like fun to me.
    08-27-16 07:58 AM