Folks,

Last night, my girlfriend's dog Buddy, died in his sleep. He has been sick for about a month, and on Friday she brought him to the vet and they kept him for the weekend. He had a problem with his blood platelets, his white cell count apparently went too low for his system to handle and his passed in his sleep. Needless to say we are all deeply saddened. I'm sure other pet owners can understand this. I'm glad he died rather than having her face that horrible choice of having the vet end his life, or try some expensive risky proceedure.

Sorry to bum folks out but I wanted to share this sad news and get some support for the folks here at CB who have become like a family to me. Thanks gang!
    04-05-09 11:42 AM
    That blows. You could always take the ron white approach and buy her a new puppy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-09 12:31 PM
    Oh no...so sorry to hear the news. Yes, this is definitely a tough time and I have gone through it with one of my yorkies. He was nine and was acting a little strange, so I thought he just had a cold. Two days later, I took him to the vet and found out something was wrong with his pancreas. It was going to be thousands of dollars to get him well, but we were willing to pay any price to get him better. When I left him with the vet, she said she'd only call if something was wrong. About an hour later, I got a call saying he'd collapsed and they tried to bring him back without any luck. Definitely one of the worst days of my life.

It is very sad to lose a pet. Hopefully the vet gave you a copy of the rainbow bridge poem. <Rainbow Bridge>

I know for days after my dogs death, I thought I still heard his collar jingle. I totally sympathize with you and your girlfriend and know that having a pet is having another family member with four legs.

Best of luck to you, you will get through this!
    04-05-09 01:09 PM
    From one dog owner to another....you have my condolences.
    It's never easy to see a pet go, they become family and it's like losing a member of your family.

At least he went in his sleep.
    04-05-09 01:09 PM
    I'm very sorry to hear that. I just recently had to make the decision to have my dog put down and it was the hardest decision I've ever had to make. But keep in mind that they're no longer suffering. My condolences.

04-05-09 01:29 PM
    Always a tough time in life. Send my condolonces to your girlfriend.

Vinnie

04-05-09 01:29 PM
    Thanks for the kind words folks! And yes WJRB, I will buy her a new puppy in a few weeks.
    04-05-09 03:55 PM
    We had to put our black lab sam down to stop his suffering from cancer. That was like 12 years ago and I still miss him.

04-05-09 04:22 PM
    sorry to hear that
    04-05-09 05:45 PM
    Pets are like family members, it's never easy when one goes. I'm sure Buddy gave her lots of fond memories to remember him by. In time she will be ready for a new puppy that will help ease the pain. My condolences go out to your friends lost of man's best friend...RIP Buddy.
    04-05-09 07:15 PM
    pk I'm very sorry to hear about the pet you guys have lost. I too am a big owner/lover of a small in size dog (shih tzu) with a tremendously large part in my life. I have lost pets in the past and I know it's hard now but time heals all wounds. Once again my condolences to you and your family...
    04-05-09 07:22 PM
    Damn PK, I'm so sorry to hear that man. Had a dobie/shepard mix for 15 years I put down 2 years ago. It broke my heart to have to do it! G_d bless you both, she's probably going to need a lot of comforting.
    04-05-09 07:26 PM
    So sorry about your gf's dog. I feel bad...I know how you must feel.
    04-05-09 09:03 PM
    Here his picture I think (first time trying itookthiswithmyphone)

Last edited by pkcable; 04-06-09 at 07:41 AM.
    04-06-09 12:21 AM
    Our condolences in your loss. May you be blessed to find another to add a new chapter to your life.
    Time heals the wound, and warm memories are to be cherished.

04-06-09 01:40 AM
    Sorry to hear about Buddy.

Id die if my little baby died

Hope everything is okay.
    04-06-09 05:12 AM
    I am sorry for you and your girlfriends loss. I lost pets when I was a child and "thought" I was broken hearted.

To have a loyal companion when you are old enough to appreciate and nurture that bond is priceless. They seem to have a way of "knowing" when you need them and sneaking their way into your heart very quickly.

It is a loss to the family when a pet passes on. It hurts like he!!, but will ease with time. After a while you can think of Buddy and smile instead of feeling overwhelmingly sad.

I hope that time comes sooner rather than later for you both.

Again, I am sorry for your loss.

04-06-09 06:34 AM
    Sorry to read of your loss; it's a tough tough thing to go thru. Please give your gf my condolences.
    04-06-09 01:23 PM
    Hey PK-im very sorry to hear about Buddy...ive lost 2 dogs in the past (separate times) and its never the easiest thing to deal with. They are a part of the family-thats just the way it is. At least he went peacefully and pain-free in his sleep, with both of my dogs, Frankie(black lab was 9-just old age) and Nikko(black pug was 3-3/4/liver disease) my hub and i had the decision to make of putting them down so they wouldnt suffer anymore. It is the hardest thing to deal with when you loose them......My condolenses to you and your gf.
    04-06-09 01:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD