For those of you that don't know the consulting term "road warrior", this is someone who is on the road every week for their job - fly out Monday to client site, fly back Thursday. Weekends home with family.

I did this for a while, before my son was born. I was laid off from that company and haven't traveled for work since.

well I'm not happy with my current gig and am looking for a new one, and have a couple of possibilities that would require mucho travel again. I'm mostly ok with it, and my wife says she is too, but I'm worried about how my son is going to take it. He's 3 and VERY attached to his Daddy. It would be hard for my wife too, especially when my son gets sick during the week and we can't find a babysitter, but I think she'd manage.

So --- are there any road warriors out there with families/young children? How do you handle the goodbyes every week? How do you handle the reunions every week? Am I nuts to think about doing this again?

BTW I'm in healthcare consulting, for frame of reference.
    05-28-09 12:43 PM
    LDubs, I'll be pretty straight up about it.

If it ever gets easy, you have a problem.

I have been a real Road Warrior for nearly 17 years. Not one time has it ever been easy, and some of my work keeps me out 2 weeks at a time, once in a while, 3, once in a while.

Do what is necessary, but make the best of it. Make sure you are BOTH on board, not just maybe.

Make the routine as normal as possible, don't go through huge emotional swings when you leave and return. And NEVER promise something you can't back up.

I've helped my kids to understand that a lot of other people need my help, too. Give your little one something that will make them feel a part of what you do.

Send pictures. They love that. Make it a game.

I could add more. But this is a good start, I hope.

Oh, reunions? Every one of them, priceless. Imagine, I have a 14 y/o son who isn't afraid to give me a hug in front of his friends. How many dads can honestly say that?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 05-28-09 at 02:27 PM.
    05-28-09 02:23 PM
    I'll be honest, I wouldn't do it. My pops was a truck driver, gone for months at a time and he missed out on a lot... And so did my bros and I. While he's young I wouldn't do it... That's the best time for you and your lil bud! He was never there when we needed him to be, Mom took good care of us. But it was hard on her too. It may be easier for you with just one kid though.
    Good luck with your decision.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-09 08:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD