So I think back in the day reflectors use to be pretty popular on the road ways. Anyhow I'm from Cleveland,Oh and I've only seen 1 set and that's off a highway exit. Anybody realizes these have been disappearing? (That along w/pay phones)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-09 11:16 PM
    Pay phones disappearing has been happening for the last 6-7 years. When folks have cell phones, who wants the hassle of finding a pay phone, or the maintainance associated with owning them any more?

09-04-09 11:19 PM
    I was joking about the payphone... I just don't notice Them anymore. Yeah for almost a $1 a day you have a cell where as pay phone rates were going up to like anywhere from 35cent to 75cent a call...

This thread was more about the reflectors

09-04-09 11:23 PM
    I'm in Akron/Canton area and I was told the reflectors were gone because some people had them pop out of the road and fly through their windshield. Supposedly it's killed a few people.

I was just talking about this with my mother last weekend while we were in PA because they have reflectors in the road. Well, their reflectors are kind of thin flexible rubber things that are stuck in the tar. Not attached to any metals or hard plastics like the old ones.

Interesting to find a post about this after having the convo.

09-05-09 06:29 AM
    I think its an old technology that was a good idea for it's time. But the snowplows would shave them right off of the road.
    09-07-09 10:38 AM
    Reflectors are considered a technology? I still see reflectors in use; as they do serve just as much a purpose as the rivets on the side of the road (you know; the one's where if you accidentally drive too much onto the shoulder of the road; it makes a loud noise when your tires hit the rivets...basically reminding one's a** that you're about to hit a guard rail or go over a cliff or something :-)).

I guess it depends on the geographical location of where the reflectors are used; I can see how in snow heavy regions they'd be more of a hassle for up-keep purposes...with salt/snow/ice/plows/etc degrading their intended purposes.

09-07-09 11:28 AM
    It's Cleveland.. don't the orange barrels every 4 feet have enough reflection for ya?
    09-07-09 01:05 PM
    LoL the Orange Barrels how do ppl know this?

Anyhow I'm in South Florida I see a few more down here but I've also noticed more street lights r up on darker roads, and they are using reflective tape/paint for street lines. They neeed these on major traveled highways during pitch black nights like on I77S and in the PA mountains.

09-07-09 02:46 PM
    Around here as they paint lines on the roads there is a truck following them with a bucket of sand. It is some kind of special highly reflective sand and they put some on top of the wet paint. Very effective, no more reflectors around here either.
    09-07-09 02:59 PM
    Wow Radius that's unique where r u from?
    I would like to see that. Like I said they need em throught out mountains roads.

09-07-09 03:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD