I would like to know the following:

Do you consider your white, black, latino, asian friends as white friends, black friends, latino friends, and asian friends or do you think of them as simply your friends?

Please explain why would you would feel the need to bring their ethnicity into it? My friends are just friends, not classified by skin color and ethnnicity.

I am suggesting that until you see people as people instead of (description based on ethnicity) people, I submit that I believe it is racist whether it effects them directly or not.

For example, I am suggesting that until we can have a candidate run against another candidate without the need to point out the ethnicity of either candidate, racism is still alive and well.

When we get to tthe point where people finally stop mentally classifying people, we'll know because people will no longer even think to consider the ethnicity or color of the candidates.

My theory is that the simple act of mentally segregating people by ethnicity can be racist.

What say you all?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-08 12:37 AM
    i dont see color or ethnicity, i just see people. i dotn say look at my black friend, hes just my friend.
    11-06-08 12:43 AM

For example, I am suggesting that until we can have a candidate run against another candidate without the need to point out the ethnicity of either candidate, racism is still alive and well.

When we get to the point where people finally stop mentally classifying people, we'll know because people will no longer even think to consider the ethnicity or color of the candidates.

Most logical thinking I have read all day.
    11-06-08 12:45 AM
    I would not refer to my friends who are black, latino, asian etc etc as that. I would refer to them as my friend and by their name.
    You are bringing up the election that just happened and its been proven that 95% of blacks voted for obama and over 60% of latinos voted for obama. So you can't even tell me race didn't play a part in the election. Racism works both ways not just toward minorities. To say it doesn't exist is just someone who is disillusioned. Just because we have a black president does not mean racism is gone. We are all different, and there will always be racism. Sad but true.

11-06-08 12:45 AM
    Good Topic!!!!

Its starts in the home is all I gotta say.

I refer to my friends as friends, not by what their skin looks like.

But racism is alive and its sad. People in my family are racist brought up to date within my race, I quickly became educated and broke free of that thinking. I could no longer take such insults as your dating a black girl or a white girl why? I didn't want to be limited to my own race and why should I, but that's a whole nother topic.

I hope this threads stays on the positive because this has the potential to be a great one.

11-06-08 12:46 AM
    Exactly my thoughts Greg, et al.

So why do some people seem to want to say hey, look at my new black President rather than hey look at my new President?

Until race references disappear, we're doomed to racism at least by some people.

11-06-08 12:46 AM
    I hope this threads stays on the positive because this has the potential to be a great one.

More logical thinking.
    11-06-08 12:48 AM
    I only look at people for who they are on the inside, if I did look at people and call them by the color of there skin I would have to say hi this is my my half white half mexican daughter Bianca and my half white half mexican son Naithan. Now how stupid would th�t be. Lol o and let's not forget this is my mexican fiance Juan. Haha
    But it is sad cuz there is people who do that.

11-06-08 01:43 AM
    Exactly my thoughts Greg, et al.

So why do some people seem to want to say hey, look at my new black President rather than hey look at my new President?

Until race references disappear, we're doomed to racism at least by some people.

Imho I would not think its racism if someone said "hey looks its the new black president" because well its true he is black and the president. However there may be more appropriate ways to say it.

11-06-08 01:56 AM
    I am in the same political party. The fact that we are of similar background was nice. I would have voted for the person running in my parties ticket whom I thought could win. Race was not a factor. If Hillary had won the nomination I would be equally as proud of her as our new president elect! It was not going to be 4 more years of republican rule regardless of who was running. I am the product of several mixes so I identified with the candidate but as I stated it wasn't going to be another republican.
    11-06-08 03:23 AM
    Hi. My name's Jef, and I'm a racist.

I completely agree that racism is alive and well in this country, but I think it's getting better. I don't think that the "white guy" or "black friend" is ever going to go away, as it's similar to my "fat friend" or "stupid friend". I don't see that as racist, nor do I see calling Obama a "black president" as racist.

I know that my dad and my grandpa are pretty racist, and it's a bad thing. I'm much less racist than them, if at all. I'll give you an example and let you decide (I don't think it is). Let's say I go out for a cigarette break, and there's two benches open. There's a white dude sitting at one and a black dude sitting at another. All things created equal, I'd probably go sit with the white guy.

That's one thing I love about BBM. Race isn't a issue when you first meet someone.
    11-06-08 04:26 AM
    I would not refer to my friends who are black, latino, asian etc etc as that. I would refer to them as my friend and by their name.
    You are bringing up the election that just happened and its been proven that 95% of blacks voted for obama and over 60% of latinos voted for obama. So you can't even tell me race didn't play a part in the election. Racism works both ways not just toward minorities. To say it doesn't exist is just someone who is disillusioned. Just because we have a black president does not mean racism is gone. We are all different, and there will always be racism. Sad but true.

And let's not forget about Iowa, which is (according to ABC news) 91% white, 2% black and the other 7% made up of hispanic, asian and other. They voted for Obama as well.

Racism is still there. It may be less noticeable than in the past, but it�s still there�

Example:

I have three true friends that I have grown up with. Together, we are two blacks and two whites. We�re so close; we consider each other as brothers so I never say my white friends, they�re just my friends.

Recently, my wife and I walked into a furniture store, accompanied by my �white friend� (so you can understand the story) He entered the business about 3 steps or so behind us. We entered and started looking around. As he entered, a sales person asked him if he needed help, which he stated no and advised he was with us and we were the ones that needed help. Over the course of about 15 minutes, he had been approached at least 3 times for help, which he kept explaining he was with us and we needed help.
    I wasn�t aware of him being approached until the 3rd time when he went ballistic and demanded to see a manager because we were apparently being ignored. Of course, we left the business without purchasing any of their merchandise. As we got out of the store, my wife and I laughed so hard and gave him a big hug to calm him down. God Bless him, he understood first hand.

It happened a few years ago with my �other white friend� as well. We were meeting him and his wife for dinner. They were there and seated, waiting on us. As we arrived, I was advising the waiter we were meeting my friends and was pointing toward their table. The waiter still tried to seat us in the back of the restaurant. My friend had to get up and tell the waiter, we were with them. (That business was later in the news for being filed on for racial discrimination)

It hasn�t gone anywhere; it�s just not a prominent as in the past.

As for Obama, yes it is something the black race is going to shout about and be proud of for it was the one thing, we were told would never happen. It�s the same for any other race or women. The possibility for any gender, race or creed to be president is now seen to be obtainable.
    Last edited by CJH315; 11-06-08 at 05:39 AM.
    11-06-08 05:30 AM
    I avoid friends all together, I don't look at color any more than I look at glasses or face jewlery. I grew up in housing project as a kid and learned early there are good and bad in all races. As for a black president, come on do you really think it will benifit any one race over another ? I'm white, I lived my entire life with white presidents and it hasn't made me better than anyone else. How about will the man do a good job? Not will he go in to help his race. He will be our countries president, get over it people.

11-06-08 05:40 AM
    Since you have your "white friend" and your "other white friend," can I be "that stupid white guy from the forums that never has anything intelligent to say?"

I didn't vote for Obama, I didn't want Obama to win, but I'm happy that we finally have a "non old-white-guy" for president. I still don't think that it should be based on color or sex, but rather on the person's abilities. I do find it hard to believe that there hasn't been a serious black or female presidential candidate before now. That's just sad.
    11-06-08 05:40 AM
    No prob Jef, your part of my BB family. LOL

And philb, it's a given no matter who obtaines the job of president, we all want him or her to do whats best for the country.
    11-06-08 05:50 AM
    YAY!!!

*happy dance*

(using humor to keep things civil in here)
    11-06-08 05:56 AM
    black people play the race card way more often then white people do... and even voted accordingly in the election.

it wasnt about who was running or what he stood for. but he was black.
    Last edited by CapOrDie; 11-06-08 at 05:58 AM.
    11-06-08 05:56 AM
    black people play the race card way more often then white people do... and even voted accordingly in the election.

it wasnt about who was running or what he stood for. but he was black.
    I wouldn't go that far. I'm sure some voted for Obama or McCain because of race, which is unfortunate, yet a sign of racism holding on tightly in some of each ethnicity.

A lot more people voted for Obama because they felt he was the best candidate for the job of President regardless of his skin color. The ones who did that are not racist, nor are the ones who voted for McCain because they thought his ideology was what the country needed.

All I'm saying is I feel that the apparent need of the media (and others) to continually comment on the ethnicity or color of a persons skin still indicates we've got a long road ahead until racism dies, and nothing will have truly changed until we can have two candidates and nobody needs to comment on skin color.

Just for the record I'll restate I don't even care what President Elect Obama's ethnic background is. I don't like his politics or the fact he's a Democrat, but the Presidency is a huge accomplishment and honor for anyone. I respect him for his accomplishments as a human being, not as part of one race or another, because its irrelevant, or would be if racism were actually gone.

Last edited by the_sandman_454; 11-06-08 at 07:01 AM.
    11-06-08 06:57 AM
    I would like to know the following:

Do you consider your white, black, latino, asian friends as white friends, black friends, latino friends, and asian friends or do you think of them as simply your friends?

Please explain why would you would feel the need to bring their ethnicity into it? My friends are just friends, not classified by skin color and ethnnicity.

I am suggesting that until you see people as people instead of (description based on ethnicity) people, I submit that I believe it is racist whether it effects them directly or not.

When we get to tthe point where people finally stop mentally classifying people, we'll know because people will no longer even think to consider the ethnicity or color of the candidates.

My theory is that the simple act of mentally segregating people by ethnicity can be racist.

What say you all?

I will offer this (I have not read other posts so I apologize if I repeat something that has been said already). The notion of ignoring race is quiet appealing, however there is a difference between acknowledging race and discrimination.

Acknowledging your black friend as a black man/woman is simply acknowledging who they are and what makes them who they are. Whether you agree or not, there are things in the history of the United States that have shaped who we as black people are. To ignore that i.e. not see your friends as black you are ignoring a part of who they are and why they may react to certain things a certain way.

Consider this example: You and your diverse friends are planning an evening out. You are making the arrangements to go to a bar for the night in a certain part of town. You choose a bar that no one has been to. You are not seeing your friends as black, etc... You get to the bar and low and behold this bar is not welcoming to black, mexican, etc people... This could end up very bad. Had you thought of your friends as a WHOLE this could have potentially been avoided.

I am nit suggesting that you only see them as such, what I am suggesting is that NOT seeing as black, asian whatever else, you NOT seeing the whole of who they are.
    11-06-08 08:00 AM
    A person's ethnicity doesn't determine his/her personality. That is what matters and a person can make it as big or little part of his/her personality as he/she chooses.

With the bar example, obviously you're not going to stay in that establishment once you realize what the deal is. Make sure to let them know why you're all leaving and they won't be getting any of your money.

I don't see how not categorizing them by race detracts from who they are. We're all humans and everyone has unique experiences anyway. Don't ignore that, just don't go around looking at the world as different colors when its not necessary. Someday humans will either figure it out or wipe ourselves out by clinging to petty differences until things blow up.

11-06-08 08:28 AM
    The media remains the biggest culprit which is funny (tragic?) cause they are the ones that will tell you that they are without prejudice which of course is not true. We have all seen the articles in the main stream media about how black Obama is or is not. I found that disgusting but than I again I think all journalism majors must get a lobotomy as a requirement for graduation.
    Sorry about my rant this morning. Please have a great day everone.

PS: I voted for the old white guy and the sexy lady. :>)
    11-06-08 08:37 AM
    Imho I would not think its racism if someone said "hey looks its the new black president" because well its true he is black and the president. However there may be more appropriate ways to say it.

I agree, everyone has been wasting their time making all these stupid forwards and talking bad about Obama, but really and truely race should have NOTHING to do with it. I believe that most people are racist because thats how they were raised at home, and to me, thats just plain stupid. But I can't control what people think.

But to answer the question I don't refer to my friends as black, white or asain. I just refer them to friends. And I don't choose friends according to race either. If someone asks what they are, then of course I tell them.
    11-06-08 08:37 AM
    what would happen though if you were describing one of your friends to another friend who might not happen to know them so well. would you ever say, "ya, you know, the jon i know that's asian?" ??
    11-06-08 09:03 AM
    Yes, I would. It's a fact. I don't find that negative, just like if my friends was describing me and another Jeff.... They could call me the fat one. It's a way to differentiate. I know like 3 Jims, so there's only so much you can do with Jim / James / Jimmy. It could be white Jim / black Jim / tall Jim. Doesn't mean anything bad...
    11-06-08 09:09 AM
    A person's ethnicity doesn't determine his/her personality. That is what matters and a person can make it as big or little part of his/her personality as he/she chooses.

With the bar example, obviously you're not going to stay in that establishment once you realize what the deal is. Make sure to let them know why you're all leaving and they won't be getting any of your money.

I don't see how not categorizing them by race detracts from who they are. We're all humans and everyone has unique experiences anyway. Don't ignore that, just don't go around looking at the world as different colors when its not necessary. Someday humans will either figure it out or wipe ourselves out by clinging to petty differences until things blow up.

First and foremost race and ethnicity are two totally different things. Race is the social meaning assigned to skin color. Ethnicity defines cultural markers: language, religion, food etc.

I would venture to say that if you do not see your friends as black and as people, then subconsciously that is saying your blackness does not matter and therefore should be integrated into white culture and society. For additonal reading on that I can suggest several articles that discuss white privelege. Part of understanding race, is understanding what it means to be white in America and how that differs from being any other race in America. Ignoring race will not make racisim go away-----the only thing that will lead to that is truly understand race and to truly understand race, one needs to understand their own race (specifically white people) and what role race plays in their daily lives. You talk about looking at differences, it is an undrestaing and acknowledgement of those difference that will lead to similiarites and understanding.
    11-06-08 09:17 AM
109 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD