CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,210 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me for it. too make weird people added me when I posted it!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default question about starting a business

Hey all
    This is in no way related to blackberrys, but its in the right section of the forum, and I figured, who better to ask than my fellow crackberry members?
    I want to start a small online business. I live in the US. Do I have to get my tax ID and everything? Or can I just sell the items online? Every item I am selling I can get without a tax ID number.
    I just want to make a little extra money and I don't want to get screwed and lose all the money I make.

Thanks!
    Be the change you want to see.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    5,137 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AC9A2F5

You would definitely benefit from discussing this with your local Governmental agencies. I am sure they have all the information you need.
    Posted by my device of choice. Might be a BlackBerry, might not be. It is of no concern to you.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    PM me

You can operate as a sole proprietor(thus no need to get a tax ID and subsequently use your SSN) however doing so opens your personal assets to liability if a product you sell or service you provide goes south for some reason. Essentially without the corporate veil and/or insurance, if you get sued and lose, you will be forced to sell your personal assets to pay off the liabilities. IE. your house, your cars, your first born child, etc...
    Gun Control: For those willing to rest their life on the conscience of a criminal.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.*
    *Not valid in CA, HI, DC. May vary by location.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    PM me

If you are just selling a few things here and there not doing it as a legitimate business which you primarily use to survive on, I wouldn't worry about it too much. In your post you stated you are just looking to basically sell a few things here and there, not really necessary to get a tax ID/incorporate/insure. You may have to report the earnings on your taxes(actually required but I won't tell anyone if you don't...).

However if you start generating a serious cash flow or are selling large value items then some additional consideration would be warranted.
    Gun Control: For those willing to rest their life on the conscience of a criminal.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.*
    *Not valid in CA, HI, DC. May vary by location.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,210 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me for it. too make weird people added me when I posted it!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Thanks for your input everyone. I don't see myself getting sued with the products I am selling. I will be selling tshirts that I designed and printed. Once I start generating serious cashflow, I will get a tax I.D. So I can sell in local retail stores.
    Making shirts is a huge business where I live, there are 2 companies making good money with it, and I think some of my designs will appeal really well to the clientel I am trying to reach.
    Thanks again everyone, and keep counting down the days for bb10!
    Be the change you want to see.