Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes on prop 8

16 24.62%
  • No on prop 8

45 69.23%
  • undecided

4 6.15%
    With all the political issues surrounding us, there's one that is really sensitive. Prop. 8. How do you feel about it and why?
    10-29-08 02:00 PM
    Number 1 I can't even believe its an issue that needs to be voted on.

Listen the bottom line is that it should not matter to anyone if two men or 2 women want to get married. That's their business and it doesn't affect us at all. Doesn't matter if one thinks homosexuality is wrong or disagrees with it.

These bible thumpers and others need to get over it real fast because its none of their business what 2 adults decide what's right for them. I personally think religion is a joke but do I tell people they can't practice it..no I don't. Somebody elses lifestyle or beliefs in no way effect me at all so I could care less.

Let them get married if that's their choice. We need to stay out of it. Unreal we have come to this in this country.

Might as well have another proposition that keeps whites with whites blacks with blacks and hispanics with hispanics while we are at it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-08 02:53 PM
    This initiative would actually take await rights that people now enjoy. Can't remember that ever happening.
    10-29-08 02:58 PM
    First of all, let me say that I don't think anyone has the right to say who can be with who. I do believe that it's an issue that needs attention. Not for those who choose to live a certain way or not but for the effects it will have on others. It is said that if this prop doesn't pass, schools will teach our kids things we all don't agree on. I do not want my sons learning about certain lifestyles other than from me, when I feel they're ready. For that reason, I choose to vote yes. This issue is just as important as who will be our Pres. IMO. We should treat it accordingly.
    10-29-08 03:55 PM
    Yea that's how the Roman Empire started to fall. So I guess with what is going on in this election same sex marriage is just the way things will go.
    I also don't give a crap if a person wants to be with the same sex, but DO NOT push this crap on my kids and into their schools.
    How about a vote or a law for not allowing teachers to teach alternative life styles? Then just allow adults do what they want. What people do not understand is this is the start of NAMBLA to get their way down the road. So let the whole dam world screw who they want. Just stop taking my rights away to replace them with yours.
    My right to own guns, say merry christmas instead of happy holidays. Say the pledge of allegiance at ball games or allow my kids to salute the flag. How bout telling me I can't have Transfats. Making me eat crap for my health. How about it? It does not concern anyone but me right?
    Why do you all have to decide that your rights are more important then mine, and I should accept such things has same sex marriage if you refuse to allow me to do what I want.

10-29-08 05:26 PM
    It is said that if this prop doesn't pass, schools will teach our kids things we all don't agree on. .
    your watching too many tv ads. Thats what they want you to beleive. Can you imagine. "Hey Johnny what class you got next?" "I have my gay studies class Jimmy and we have a huge exam."

What can they teach in a gay studies class? Lets see...the obvious, homosexuals engage in sexual relations with the same sex. What else? Nothing that I can think of. Maybe Im missing something?

They share the same traits as anyone else, partake in the same activities as anyone else, are homo sapiens, they come in all races, colors and creeds, they wear the same clothes, work the same jobs, eat the same foods, hold many different positions in society.

The list goes on and on and on.

I'm not a parent and I'm straight. But if I had kids I could care less if they learned about homosexuality in class or wherever. It's a fact of life. It's not going to turn them gay for cryin out loud. Again, It's not going to be taught in school BUT lets say it was. What are parents so worried about? If you don't want your kids taking the "normal" sex ed classes in school I understand. My question is, if you dont have a problem with them taking sex ed in school why do you have a problem with them learning about homosexuality in school?
    10-29-08 07:48 PM
    What people do not understand is this is the start of NAMBLA to get their way down the road.

please explain this.
    10-29-08 07:52 PM
    your watching too many tv ads. Thats what they want you to beleive. Can you imagine. "Hey Johnny what class you got next?" "I have my gay studies class Jimmy and we have a huge exam."

What can they teach in a gay studies class? Lets see...the obvious, homosexuals engage in sexual relations with the same sex. What else? Nothing that I can think of. Maybe Im missing something?

They share the same traits as anyone else, partake in the same activities as anyone else, are homo sapiens, they come in all races, colors and creeds, they wear the same clothes, work the same jobs, eat the same foods, hold many different positions in society.

The list goes on and on and on.

I'm not a parent and I'm straight. But if I had kids I could care less if they learned about homosexuality in class or wherever. It's a fact of life. It's not going to turn them gay for cryin out loud. Again, It's not going to be taught in school BUT lets say it was. What are parents so worried about? If you don't want your kids taking the "normal" sex ed classes in school I understand. My question is, if you dont have a problem with them taking sex ed in school why do you have a problem with them learning about homosexuality in school?
    You are right in that they would teach the obvious but also right in the question "what else". That's just it. We don't know what else and that is the issue at hand. The fact you are not a parent speaks volumes of your position. Maybe you wouldn't care if they taught your kids about gay rights or sexuality but many do. I for one care quite a bit what my kids do and don't need to know. What are parents so worried about, you ask. Maybe one day when you're a parent yourself, you'll worry then.
    10-29-08 08:29 PM
    Again, I do not care how one CHOOSES to live one's life. That does not mean I don't value my CHOICE of governing what goes into my kids ears.
    10-29-08 08:36 PM
    You are right in that they would teach the obvious but also right in the question "what else". That's just it. We don't know what else and that is the issue at hand. The fact you are not a parent speaks volumes of your position. Maybe you wouldn't care if they taught your kids about gay rights or sexuality but many do. I for one care quite a bit what my kids do and don't need to know. What are parents so worried about, you ask. Maybe one day when you're a parent yourself, you'll worry then.
    you obviously didn't read my post. You simply skimmed right through it. They ARE NOT GOING TO BE TEACHING anything like that in schools. They don't even teach "regular" marriage in school. I was trying to show you how absurd the notion of such a class. Your being lied to don't you see that?

Anyway you still haven't answered the question what are you worried about IF there was such a class (again you are being lied to they will not be forced to learn gay rights)

Your dodging the question. You afraid it will make them gay? What I ask.

10-29-08 10:57 PM
    Yea that's how the Roman Empire started to fall. So I guess with what is going on in this election same sex marriage is just the way things will go.
    I also don't give a crap if a person wants to be with the same sex, but DO NOT push this crap on my kids and into their schools.
    How about a vote or a law for not allowing teachers to teach alternative life styles? Then just allow adults do what they want. What people do not understand is this is the start of NAMBLA to get their way down the road. So let the whole dam world screw who they want. Just stop taking my rights away to replace them with yours.
    My right to own guns, say merry christmas instead of happy holidays. Say the pledge of allegiance at ball games or allow my kids to salute the flag. How bout telling me I can't have Transfats. Making me eat crap for my health. How about it? It does not concern anyone but me right?
    Why do you all have to decide that your rights are more important then mine, and I should accept such things has same sex marriage if you refuse to allow me to do what I want.

Two questions for you? If teachers were teaching lifestyles, why wouldn't they teach all of them? That would be.....sexism, maybe? I personally don't think any "lifestyles" should be taught in schools. SexEd is fine. Insert Tab P into slot V and 9 months later a baby pops out. That's fine. But I don't want a school telling my daughter that it's OK for two men or two women to be together anymore than I want a school telling her it's right for a man and a women to be together. That's my business to teach my daughter and her choice in life.

Secondly, what rights of yours are being taken away here? And why are your rights more important than others? I'm not saying your rights are right or wrong, but don't deny someone else something because you lost something.
    10-30-08 04:21 AM
    There you go my rights are not has important I guess. After all I don't stick a gun barrel up someones a$$ for pleasure.
    You say teaching alternative styles will not turn your kid gay.
    Maybe not but make it ok and let them see it is ok in a class then experimentation starts. Who says your kid ain't going to try it. Now in San Fran they took a class on a trip. It was to watch and participate on a alternative wedding. You see kids being taken to a regular wedding?
    You want to teach alternative styles. Then you got to teach Beasteality,sex torture that sodomy is ok and any alternative. After all why Denied someone their right if you gain yours?

Again I have no problem with alternative life styles. I have it in my own family in relatives. I love them very much and will do anything for them.
    I have witnessed what teaching does to a young mind. You want to teach in collage no problem.
    It is up to parents to explain the different styles to life.
    There is enough on TV to make kids ask already. No one ever taught Sex Ed when I went to school. Seems that my Generation came out ok. Even with Hippies and Free Love. Our worry was Penicillin if we messed up.
    Now it is a little more of a concern. What I want to know is why in this alternative class no mention of protection and what certain things you do can might give you.
    I saw what they want to teach in my district. When I asked I was told it was not a priority and they do not want to stereotype a lifestyle with a disease.

10-30-08 08:16 AM
    After reading your reply, I'm going to assume that it was directed to Balloon Knot... If that was heading my way, let me know.
    10-30-08 08:24 AM
    Sorry for any typo's can't find my glasses when I woke up.
    Just one other thing. Why do you feel it is necessary to teach this? Is it not the parents job to bring kids up.
    I have no problem with sex education being taught. I have no problem if in that class alternative life styles are talked about. I do have a problem for a single class teaching alternative styles. After all how much could you say on it

What I would like to see is a class taught on tolerance for other people. That all life is precious. That the 10 Commandants and Religion have played a part in making mankind.
    Why are so many people afraid to have a class for that.
    Why must Alternative life be more important then teaching about Religion including , Hinduism, Buddism and others.
    After all is there some{thing dirty about it?
    I am not a bible thumper or very religious. I do believe in a higher power. All I know is certain things need to be taught by parents. I do understand some kids have no families and a role model.
    It is a hard decision for society in general to make. It is like the abortion issue. Every women or man has the right to decide what they should do. If a grown woman feels Abortion is the way to go then let them.
    Me I think they have a choice of adoption but I do not think it is my call what they should do.
    Yet a young girl needs to see alternatives. That is what Planed Parenthood is for. You going to teach this in school also?
    Put physical education back into the schools. Let kids play volley ball and tag or touch football. Yet people think these are to violent and are not to be tolerated. So they are taken out. Off topic maybe but it goes to show how this world is starting to become so fked up.

10-30-08 08:49 AM
    First of all, let me say that I don't think anyone has the right to say who can be with who. I do believe that it's an issue that needs attention. Not for those who choose to live a certain way or not but for the effects it will have on others. It is said that if this prop doesn't pass, schools will teach our kids things we all don't agree on. I do not want my sons learning about certain lifestyles other than from me, when I feel they're ready. For that reason, I choose to vote yes. This issue is just as important as who will be our Pres. IMO. We should treat it accordingly.
    Do you currently agree with everything that is taught to your children in school?
    10-30-08 09:12 AM
    Well, I agree with much of what you said there, but I still think you have to take religion out of schools, and I think you need to let the kids play games such as tag and volleyball and stuff. Let some kids lose, and let some win. No more of this "we are all winners" crud...
    10-30-08 09:17 AM
    I know this is a hot topic, but this is reminiscent (to me anyway) of slavery and desegration in schools. "Let miniorites live where they want, till they want to move to my neighboorhood"!!! I know this may seem extreme to some, but that is what it reminds me of!!!!

I am a parent and understand that some want to teach their kids about lifestyle choices. I am also a teacher and know that if taught in schools, it would not be we support one or the other, it is simply giving information (information learned on any playground, bus ride home or lunchroom). As with sex ed., if you truly disagree OPT OUT for your kid!!!!! I do not believe the government should be involved in this in any way shape or form-----you should be free to marry, date etc. whomever you choose, this is America right?
    10-30-08 09:21 AM
    Well, it is where I'm sitting...

As long as a *alternative life-style male human being* isn't trying to move into my BEDROOM, I don't care what they do...

Stupid censors....
    10-30-08 09:28 AM
    Raven I do not think it is neccesary to teach this. I don't know where you got that from.

It is not neccesary and I do agree with you on the idea if they teach an alternative lifestyle they should be teaching all lifestyles. But these things simply will not happen.

You did answer my question though. Your afraid the kids will start experimenting. I don't know about your background but when I learned about Hitler I didn't run out of class and look for Jewish kids to pound on.

10-30-08 10:07 AM
    Interesting analogy about Hitler. Funny thing is where I grew up a lot of people did do that they didn't need to know about Hitler their parents taught them to hate Jews and people of color.
    Showing the atrocities just made them want to do it more.
    What it comes down to is what you has a person is taught in the home, by the people you hang with and by how strong of a person you are.
    Like I tell my son your either a leader or a follower. In either case weigh the consequences and what your inner gut tells you.
    I am almost 59 in a interracial marriage for almost 20yrs and have 2 kids.
    I fought against the Vietnam war, but when my # came up I went.
    I have voted both Democratic and GOP in my lifetime. I have no allegiance to one side. Only what I feel is best for my Country and my children.
    I have spent almost 30yrs in the service to this country or the state and city I live or lived in.
    I have been a teacher on the College and Private level, Automotive designer working in Flint Michigan and have owned a gas station in Skokie IL at one time with a partner. Lost it to the gas crisis back in the late 70's
    I have been rich and have been poor living in a shelter for 3 months. I am now retired on a disability pension thanks to Osama Bin Laden.
    I tell you this because I have a reason to be what some call a fear monger. The things people shrug off has not important to ones character is what is important to me.
    Now screw all the spin and the media. I watch all news and read all papers. I use the net has much has possible to check things out have friends in places that are in the loop in a matter of speaking.
    My fears do not come from the sky is falling syndrome. I really like this topic and the replies. It is going to be a very dangerous 4 or 8yrs. No matter which party is in office. What makes this election so important is what is going to be set for maybe another 25 to 40yrs. This is like I said before who the SCOTUS is going to be. How a one party system will be. That's if everything goes Democratic. Not only National but State and City levels.
    Will there be a check and balance system in place?
    Remember they say the pendulum swings in both directions.
    Someone mentioned about life style in Europe. The reality is if it was not for America there would not be a European Life Style has it is now.
    The world hates America but it is the first country they turn to in times of trouble. Europe is having their problems and you might not hear about Bankruptcy but there is. Unless your in Europe check out the standard of living and how their Medical system is.
    Lots of people have died waiting for a diagnostic test. Waiting for an operation and waiting to get drugs that are abundant in the USA. So if you want a European Lifestyle no disrespect move to Europe.

10-30-08 12:13 PM
    No one is saying they cant be together...

hope this helps

10-30-08 12:25 PM
    This is what happens when you insist that the government take care of you. It comes back to bite you in the ***.

Kick the government out of the business of regulating marriages (********** and heterosexual) and privatize schools. Problem solved.
    10-30-08 12:27 PM
    Do you currently agree with everything that is taught to your children in school?
    I believe that our school systems have the children's best interests at heart. To say that I agree with "everything" they teach would be just ignorant of me. I realize the schools are not perfect. However, this issue is one I will be willing to pull my kids out of a school over. San Francisco was mentioned earlier and is a prime example of what can happen if anything goes in schools. This, in my opinion, cannot be allowed to happen everywhere else. That's why we are voting on it. Because it's important enough to be on the voting table. If our kids are exposed to something all the time, they become curious and venture into trying it out. Right or wrong, they feel the need to see for themselves. I want to prevent this from being presented at all to my kids.
    10-30-08 07:38 PM
    I believe that our school systems have the children's best interests at heart. To say that I agree with "everything" they teach would be just ignorant of me. I realize the schools are not perfect. However, this issue is one I will be willing to pull my kids out of a school over. San Francisco was mentioned earlier and is a prime example of what can happen if anything goes in schools. This, in my opinion, cannot be allowed to happen everywhere else. That's why we are voting on it. Because it's important enough to be on the voting table. If our kids are exposed to something all the time, they become curious and venture into trying it out. Right or wrong, they feel the need to see for themselves. I want to prevent this from being presented at all to my kids.
    Are you saying that if kids are exposed to alternative lifestyles in school they will try it themselves. If so, I respectfully say that is based on ignorance. Homosexuality is NOT A CHOICE, you are born that way. Also, it is thinking like that made desegregation so difficult. Simply because it is on the voting table does not mean it is important---it just means someone somewhere is ignorant as well and had the power to place it on a ballot. Your kids your choice.
    10-30-08 07:46 PM
    No one is saying they cant be together...

hope this helps
    Thanks Vinnie. I was simply stating that so everyone would know my position on the subject overall.
    10-30-08 07:49 PM
353 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD