Did anyone watch? The thing that pissed me off the most was when McCain said was talking about education. He said he would give those who serve in the military the opportunity to go right into teaching when they leave the military. I saw that as a DIRECT smack in the fact to the work we put in to get certified to teach and it said "anyone can teach" which is NOTthe case!!!!!!! for those who don't know---I am a teacher, a master's degree certificated (elementary and special education, instructional technology and principal/supervisory certified) teacher!!!!!!!

Thoughts!!!!!
    10-15-08 10:21 PM
    I clearly understand were your coming from, I did not understand what he meant by that remark or statement.
    I do know that more teachers are needed and better wages for teachers is in need.
    10-15-08 10:28 PM
    yeah that whole military teachers thing was kinda weird...

his reactions, body language, and facial expressions really annoyed me... it's hard to vote for someone with such an attitude, let alone just like them as a person.
    10-15-08 10:35 PM
    I clearly understand were your coming from, I did not understand what he meant by that remark or statement.
    I do know that more teachers are needed and better wages for teachers is in need.
    I can speak directly for PA, but I knwo other states are similiar. To teach in PA, having a degree is education is not all you need. You also have to take and pass SEVERAL states tests for EVERY subject you want to teach. If you don;t pass the test you cannot teach. now I dont agree with the testing be the end all and be all but he alluded to the ex military getting a free pass!!!!
    10-15-08 10:36 PM
    yeah that whole military teachers thing was kinda weird...

his reactions, body language, and facial expressions really annoyed me... it's hard to vote for someone with such an attitude, let alone just like them as a person.
    He seems angry and cocky at the same time to me. I practically jumped out my seat when he said that!!!!!
    10-15-08 10:39 PM
    Towards the end, he had this expression on his face like, a Baby when taking a dump in its diapers.
    10-15-08 10:45 PM
    not to offend any military person(s) but a free pass just like that ...... I would have to say no to that. not like they wont do a good job and all, but damn make all other teachers go through testing and they go straight in like that is not fair to the people(s) got to school and prepping to become a teacher
    10-15-08 10:46 PM
    McCain always seems to be saying, oh yeah, well I'm gonna... And every other sentence was a personal attack. I wish sometimes Obama would jump down in the gutter with him and hammer him for the Keating Five and all the affairs McCain had, but that would make him just like McCain.
    I've been arguing politics for months it seems. I'm really getting burned out. I just sent in my ballot today. I wish it was over.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-08 11:00 PM
    My wife is a teacher with a Master's degree here in Iowa, and she about went through the roof with that comment of McCain's...not to mention the voucher issue. (She also teaches at a poor school that just got state recognition for improvement by keeping funding, not lowering enrollment)

Those teachers get feisty!!

-neil

10-15-08 11:01 PM
    I have all the respect in the world for teachers, but let's be reasonable here, you don't exactly have to be smart to teach fifth graders math.

10-15-08 11:01 PM
    yes, but the respect has to be given to those to who further the education system regardless to where you fall within that system...brooklyn or downtownusa
    10-15-08 11:09 PM
    Right on jrusset, but that doesn't change the fact that most teachers aren't exactly "smart".

10-15-08 11:11 PM
    I have all the respect in the world for teachers, but let's be reasonable here, you don't exactly have to be smart to teach fifth graders math.
    Yeah, actually you do. And it is thinking like that that accounts for the fact
    that the US lags far behind other nations in math and science.

Better (read, smarter) teachers equals smarter students,
    which in turn leads to smarter and more productive adults.
    10-15-08 11:15 PM
    You do have to be "smart". Childhood psychology, early childhood development, are just a few things.

10-15-08 11:16 PM
    Being a high school teacher won't attract the best and the brightest because private sector pay is so much better. People go where the money is...

That you need to study

Vinne there is sooo much more to teaching than subject knowledge. Along with the knowledge you have to know hiw to present it in a way that they will retain and be able ti apply what you have presented. Then you have to determine what to do for slow learners who don't get it the first time and those who get it 5 min into the lesson. You also need to know how to handle socail, emotional and behavioral problems as well. I can go on if you would like I think I have sgoiwn it takes way more than simple subject knowledge tio teach 5th grade math. I can also guarantee you there a plenty of people in the world who can't do 5th grade math let alone teach it.

10-15-08 11:17 PM
    Being a high school teacher won't attract the best and the brightest because private sector pay is so much better. People go where the money is...
    You really have no idea what you are talking about and your suppositions are
    irrelevant. There are tens of thousands of teachers who go where the money
    isn't for a variety of very noble reasons.

Money may be important in your world, but don't try transferring that to the
    rest of society. And especially a segment of society you are not a part of and
    have basically no knowledge of.
    10-15-08 11:20 PM
    Right on jrusset, but that doesn't change the fact that most teachers aren't exactly "smart".

There are all kinds of intelligences. You may not necessarily need to be a genius to teach but you sure better be a genious in pedigogy the art of teaching, understandings kids and how they learn, and let's not talk about dealing with parents. All in how u define smart.

10-15-08 11:26 PM
    Please excuse my typos. I am in the dark and tired which makes this keyboard even smaller!b!!!!!!Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

10-15-08 11:29 PM
    Vinnie didn't you just come back from banishment?

You're inflammatory by nature aren't you? It is one thing to tell it like it is. But there is something to be said about couth or in your case uncouth!

Teachers rock!!! They should be paid more just because they are teachers and the fact that they have to put up with children that have the misfortune of not having any home training.

Teachers are to be commended not slammed!!! Vinnie!!!
    10-15-08 11:34 PM

That is not 100 percent true. The numbers are skewed somewhat for the simple fact that here in the US we educate everyone and in most of the high achieving countries, we are being compared to their best and brightest.

10-15-08 11:37 PM

Word to Big Bird!!!!
    10-15-08 11:39 PM
    Take the computer industry for example, the best and brightest don't work for the government, they work private sector. I'm glad you mentioned child pyschology, because I'm pretty sure the best and brightest aren't working at your local high school...

10-15-08 11:42 PM
    So the original poster bashes the men and women that die for our country and I say you don't have to be smart to be a teacher and I catch the heat, oh brother...

Sometimes I wonder why I even care

10-15-08 11:46 PM
92 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD