I am having problems with my home computer and have a question hopefully someone can enlighten me.

PC will power on, but the screen light stay yellow. It keeps a total black screen, when the monitor cord is unplugged it will come on and show Cord Unplugged or something along those lines.

I have taken advise from a co-worker and purchased a new power supply and new video card, these have both been installed but with no success.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    01-06-10 07:46 PM
    My guess, the capacitors on your motherboard are either leaking, or bad. I've attached a picture of what you are looking for.
    01-06-10 08:06 PM
    Capacitors are leaking? Seriously!?

Just to rule out the monitor have you tried hooking up another monitor that you know for sure works? I had a monitor go bad before but it would still do what you described above.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-10 09:25 PM
    Capacitors are leaking? Seriously!?
    Yes. Leaking caps are a very common problem on late PIII, and almost all P4, Athlon, and X2 based boards.

Symptoms usually start with the PC hard locking for no reason, and will eventually end up with the symptoms above. Its a 5 second check to see. That's why I suggested it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-10 09:43 PM
    I have tried using the monitor on another pc, and the monitor does pick up so the monitor isnt the problem.

I will check the capacitors. Could a faulty stick of RAM memory cause this? I only have one stick installed currently though.
    01-07-10 04:15 AM
    I can see the new video card and PSU, so since I bow to Kris, I'll have to agree with him on the capacitor issue, especially if you tested the monitor.

I know it happens. A lot. I didn't know that those symptoms could be caused.
    01-07-10 04:25 AM
    The motherboard is Gigabyte model ga-8ie533. I didn't see any sign of leakage or anything from capicators.
    01-07-10 05:29 PM
    Can you take a high res pic of it and post it here? That's an old board. Check the caps for buldging too. The tops of all of them should be flat.
    01-07-10 08:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD