I posted about selling my iphone on craigslist and someone text me about buying it but how do i know if the payment would be fraudulent or not? She wants my paypal email so she can send me the money for it now.
    03-14-12 06:10 PM
    I posted about selling my iphone on craigslist and someone text me about buying it but how do i know if the payment would be fraudulent or not? She wants my paypal email so she can send me the money for it now.
    If you don't trust PayPal, use www.escrow.com - they have even more safety features to make everybody happy.
    03-14-12 10:13 PM
    Everybody?

Morten likes this.
    03-14-12 11:01 PM
    When using Craigslist, unless you say you will be shipping an item, it is understood to be
    LOCAL only.

If someone wants to send you money using western Union, Paypal, Check or Money Order, especially if they are in another city or country, you just need to inform them that it is LOCAL and cash only.

03-14-12 11:35 PM
    PayPal has a ton of safety features, including one where they can hold the money until you send the phone.

There's a slim chance it's going to be fraudulent on PP, in my opinion anyway.
    03-15-12 05:05 AM
    Using Paypal is a common scam on craigslist. Paypal itself is relatively secure but a fraudulent buyer will ask for your Paypal address then generate an official looking email, that appears to be from Paypal, assuring you that the funds have been transferred to your account, but that you won't be able to see them until the product has shipped.

Of course, Paypal doesn't operate that way, and once you ship something there's not much chance of getting it back after you find out.
    03-15-12 09:35 AM
    They will pay you via PayPal, you will ship the item, then they will report the item as 'defective' to PayPal, which in turn will have your funds held by PayPal for resolution. In most cases, the seller (scammer) will say hat they returned the item back to you when it was never shipped. After 30 days, PayPal will release the held funds back to the original buyer (scammer).

You will be out of a device, as well as your money. LOCAL ONLY and IN PERSON, when dealing through CraigsList.
    03-15-12 11:58 AM
    i wouldnt do it either.. if you're going to use paypal.. u might as well try to ebay your phone.. craigslist is meant for local and cash
    03-15-12 04:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD