Well... Palms down another buck. Anyone else think RIM should jump on this and make a grab for that web os? If nothing else, they could get some great ideas

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-10 08:48 AM
    I think so. It'd be a great investment. I think Palm has potential and if RIM would buy, they'd have a ton of ideas and new resources to work from.
    03-19-10 09:12 AM
    They have a lot of great ideas that were late in the game. But rim has already started on there browser problem so I'd say no. Don't want another sprint/nextel..

03-19-10 09:17 AM
    Just because a stock price is lower today than it was in the past, does not make it cheap. Here is one analyst's opinion from this morning:

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Canaccord Adams technology analyst Peter Misek on Friday cut his price target on Palm /quotes/comstock/15*!palm/quotes/nls/palm (PALM 4.59, -1.06, -18.76%) shares from $4 to $0. "We believe Palm's troubles will only accelerate as carriers and suppliers increasingly question the company's solvency and withdraw their support," Misek said in a note to clients. "With what appears to be roughly 12 months of cash on hand, an accelerating burn rate, a complete lack of earnings visibility, and substantial debt and preferred equity, we no longer see any value in the company's common equity." He reiterated his sell rating on the stock.
    03-19-10 09:18 AM
    I think so. It'd be a great investment. I think Palm has potential and if RIM would buy, they'd have a ton of ideas and new resources to work from.
    That's exactly what I was thinking

03-19-10 09:27 AM
    Just because a stock price is lower today than it was in the past, does not make it cheap. Here is one analyst's opinion from this morning:

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Canaccord Adams technology analyst Peter Misek on Friday cut his price target on Palm /quotes/comstock/15*!palm/quotes/nls/palm (PALM 4.59, -1.06, -18.76%) shares from $4 to $0. "We believe Palm's troubles will only accelerate as carriers and suppliers increasingly question the company's solvency and withdraw their support," Misek said in a note to clients. "With what appears to be roughly 12 months of cash on hand, an accelerating burn rate, a complete lack of earnings visibility, and substantial debt and preferred equity, we no longer see any value in the company's common equity." He reiterated his sell rating on the stock.
    I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap. But jeez, they have over half a million units shelved and they have halted production of new units. Palm will not last as a stand alone company.

03-19-10 09:30 AM
    I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap. But jeez, they have over half a million units shelved and they have halted production of new units. Palm will not last as a stand alone company.

They may just disappear. If they have an inventory buildup, slumping sales, and large amounts of debt, those usually aren't recipes for a takeover. It would be cheaper to let them go bankrupt and pick and choose which pieces of a company you may or may not want instead of buying the whole company and inheriting their debt and reputation. Also if palm just disappeared as a company, then the other manufacturers will compete with each other for the customers when they want updated phones. I really don't see the upside in any company taking Palm over.
    03-19-10 09:36 AM
    Someone will buy them for the intellectual property if only to prevent a competitor from buying them.
    03-19-10 09:59 AM
    They may just disappear. If they have an inventory buildup, slumping sales, and large amounts of debt, those usually aren't recipes for a takeover. It would be cheaper to let them go bankrupt and pick and choose which pieces of a company you may or may not want instead of buying the whole company and inheriting their debt and reputation. Also if palm just disappeared as a company, then the other manufacturers will compete with each other for the customers when they want updated phones. I really don't see the upside in any company taking Palm over.
    That makes sense. But don't get me wrong, I don't want them to continue manufacturing devices. I just want rim to snag that web os

03-19-10 10:02 AM
    Someone will buy them for the intellectual property if only to prevent a competitor from buying them.
    Possible, but again, why do that and have to assume all of their debt, and take the whole company, when you could just let them go into bankruptcy and compete for whatever intellectual property or talent they have? that to me would be a lot cheaper. Or, PALM can go bankrupt, and restructure their debt, and continue to function and eventually emerge from bankruptcy. Sometimes that's the best option.
    03-19-10 10:11 AM
    Agreed, but that assumes that a purchaser acts rationally. Sometimes that's not the case when you are trying to prevent someone else from getting something.
    03-19-10 10:39 AM
    Agreed, but that assumes that a purchaser acts rationally. Sometimes that's not the case when you are trying to prevent someone else from getting something.
    That's a very good point

03-19-10 02:24 PM
    This is actually why I think RIM may buy them.

This is something that has been being talked about for about a year now and
    I don't see it dying anytime soon.
    03-19-10 04:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD