I have a mole problem in my yard. I've used poison bait pellets and a shaker type repellant that you apply to the lawn and water it down. It soaks into the soil and they're not supposed to like it...these methods work temporarily and don't last long.

I know this is way OT, but I was hoping someone might know of a more effective way to get rid of these little tunnel-meisters!

This is what I found this morning. It's about 1-1/2 feet in radius (how do you spell radius...it's early) and I'm sitting out here watching this area around the mound of dirt, waiting for the ground to move so I can pummel him with a shovel.

I feel like Bill Murray in Caddy Shack...any tips?

Last edited by w00dy65; 10-03-08 at 08:25 AM.
    10-03-08 08:22 AM
    around here... and I'm not a native of the south, one solution I hear often is to find a couple of the holes and pour gasoline down them. Not gallons but a few ounces. They say the fumes will kill them alone but some like to toss the match in for added excitement. Like I said, we're in the south, lol.

What do you hear right before you dial 911?

"Hey Bubba, watch this"
    10-03-08 09:28 AM
    I'm Sure Dynamite would do the Trick too-

But then you'd have to deal with even bigger holes.

Groundhog vs Mole in a Deathmatch Extraordinaire!

10-03-08 10:38 AM
    I might try that gas suggestion...without the match. It seems the match would burn off the vapors...and the vapors are what's needed.

Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-08 10:44 AM
    I'm Sure Dynamite would do the Trick too-

But then you'd have to deal with even bigger holes.

Hah, Do you remember a few years back when a dead whale washed up on the Oregon coastline? I mean, this thing was huge... too big to bury. So... the brilliant minds of the local officials decided to blast the thing with dynamite. Yeah, that'll get rid of it once and for all! They proceeded to lay charges at all the appropriate points around said mammal and drew quite a crowd of onlookers, all anxiously awaiting the sight of a multi-ton whale disappearing into nothingness. All went well as they set the charge and the whale seemed to have mostly disappeared... until the thousands of chunks of now decompsed whale began raining down on everyone and everything. Some of the chunks weighed several hundred pounds and I think a few vehicles were destroyed. Nobody died, but the stench was apparently almost unbearable for days as they went around picking up pieces to go and bury properly.
    10-03-08 10:47 AM
    OMG Thats Horrible let Oddly Hilarious.

I wish that was on youtube!

Like a Trainwreck- it's horrible to watch but you cant keep your eyes off of it.
    10-03-08 01:22 PM
    To get rid of moles or voles from what I've been told you need to elimintate the insects they feed on, like grubs. Of course that means applying chemicals to the yard which you may not want to do,.

You could make a miniature claymore mine to put in the mole holes but I'm not sure about the legality. :-p

10-03-08 01:59 PM
    couldnt help myself
    10-03-08 02:04 PM
    That's a good point...eliminate the food source. I'm sure there's a few down there...I know we have earthworms.

I hate to lose the worms because I collect them when it rains and used them for fishing, but I'm willing to sacrifice that with chemicals.

Thanks!

10-03-08 02:07 PM
    Trucky, I just laughed so much there were tears running down my face. What goes up must come down
    10-03-08 02:30 PM
    There are a few things you can do. If you are patient, sit at the tunnel and wait for it to move then stab with a screw-driver.

Another option is putting a few pieces of chewed bubblegum down the hole. I've heard (though never tried it) that they can't digest it. But that's assuming they will eat it.

Go to tractor-supply or some place and buy a mole trap. It is a spring-loaded device that you stake in the ground over the tunnel. When the mole passes through, it trips the device and two spikes shoot down into the tunnel. That's really effective.
    10-03-08 02:39 PM
    I have a neighbor that has traps...I might borrow a couple.

10-03-08 03:21 PM
    I still stand by my Dynamite Idea.

Its Quick- Entertaining- and Not to Mention 100% garunteed to work.

10-03-08 03:30 PM
    I still stand by my Dynamite Idea.

Its Quick- Entertaining- and Not to Mention 100% garunteed to work.

LOL...well, I guess I wouldn't have to worry about mowing either!?!

10-03-08 03:38 PM
    There ya go!

Its a two for one deal!

LOL
    10-03-08 03:42 PM
    Here in Colorado, some companies use a humane method to get rid of prarie dogs -- they come out with a vacuum truck to suck the critters out of their holes. Other companies force propane into the holes and ignite it. The goal isn't burning, you just need enough to suffocate them, sorry peta.
    (Doesn't peta stand for "People Eating Tasty Animals"?)

10-03-08 06:43 PM
    That might be easier than gasoline. I bought some grub killer and another bag of repellant. And soaked it down real good...

I do like the idea of eliminating their food source...maybe they'll go somewhere else?

10-04-08 04:54 AM
    I GOT ONE!!!

After mowing the lawn and spraying for more worms/grubs...I saw another mound starting...lil' bass turds!... So I set up a chair and grabbed a shovel and waited!

Didn't take but a couple minutes before I had a target. BAMM!!! It was over...esta la vista varmint!!!

Check out the front paddles on this critter...definately made for digging. Sorry the pic isn't better quality...I do what I can do!

10-04-08 05:34 PM
    I prefer a 12 gauge instead of a shovel. Then again if you're in or near a city/town that might not be the best solution afterall.

10-04-08 05:53 PM
    But this way I definately KNOW that I got 'em! LOL

10-04-08 06:06 PM
    I GOT ONE!!!
    Was it one Whack or two?
    10-05-08 02:41 AM
    simple fix. burn the land.
    10-05-08 02:46 AM
    My grandpa swears by using bleach. He says that if you find a new tunnel, use your shovel and take the top off a spot, and pour a little bit of bleach on the floor of the tunnel. Supposedly it gets on their feet and they don't like it so they lick it off. If you try it let me know how it works.

10-05-08 10:29 AM
    OMFG That Thing Looks Freaky!

Do those things Bite?

It Looks Like it could Rip Your Face off!
    10-05-08 10:46 AM
    LMAO...too funny!!!

I'm sure they would bite if handled. And I try not to kiss them too much....unless they've washed their feet with bleach.

But I did get another one this morning...a bigger one.

10-05-08 12:51 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD