I pulled this from a Bloomberg article on Russians using FireChat to communicate. In this case, the iphone 6 is having issues.
    -------
    But technology can only get you so far in Moscow at night, where winter temperatures are below freezing. "iPhone 6 cannot handle -18c (0 degrees Fahrenheit), keeps switching off,� wrote Ilya Mouzykantskii, a freelance journalist covering the protests, on Twitter. �It�s really really cold.�
    ---------

Most phones list a 0 to 35 or 40 deg C range. Basically freezing to about 100 deg F. I've used my Z10 at an unpleasant 23 deg F (-5 deg C) to 112 deg F (44 deg C). I've been in hotter environments, but had no coverage. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    12-31-14 05:13 AM
    I pulled this from a Bloomberg article on Russians using FireChat to communicate. In this case, the iphone 6 is having issues.
    -------
    But technology can only get you so far in Moscow at night, where winter temperatures are below freezing. "iPhone 6 cannot handle -18c (0 degrees Fahrenheit), keeps switching off,” wrote Ilya Mouzykantskii, a freelance journalist covering the protests, on Twitter. “It’s really really cold.”
    ---------

Most phones list a 0 to 35 or 40 deg C range. Basically freezing to about 100 deg F. I've used my Z10 at an unpleasant 23 deg F (-5 deg C) to 112 deg F (44 deg C). I've been in hotter environments, but had no coverage. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    The iPhone probably has a profile set up so when temps fall out of range it shuts down to protect itself. Our blackberry's don't... Not sure if that's worrying. But my device (Z10) even though it was near meltdown it continued to work happily.
    12-31-14 05:31 AM
    I use my Z10 at minus -25 Celsius and it works fine

Z10
    12-31-14 05:35 AM
    Cold shouldn't be an issue except for battery life.

I suppose the iphone could shut down based on temperature sensing, but why? I would sure hate to be stranded somewhere and the phone turns itself off.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-14 12:11 PM
    I'm not too worried about my phone working in extreme cold temps. That's because I don't work in extreme temps.
    sam81 likes this.
    12-31-14 12:51 PM
    Cold shouldn't be an issue except for battery life.

I suppose the iphone could shut down based on temperature sensing, but why? I would sure hate to be stranded somewhere and the phone turns itself off.

Posted via CB10
    But would you keep a device on which contains a LCD which is also liquid... Im sure it has its limits on operation.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-01-15 01:44 PM
    But would you keep a device on which contains a LCD which is also liquid... Im sure it has its limits on operation.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Yes the LCD crystals don't work well in very low temperatures.
    “The material in the LCD is liquid crystals and in the cold weather it reacts as well,” he said. “Right now the crystals they form together, they align together, to give you an image. When the cold affects it, they clump or aggregate, so it creates bubbles.”
    An company in Finland did a cold weather test in 2012 and found that Apple 4S does not do well in cold but the Samsung II did down to -30C probably because Samsung phones use AMOLED.
    01-01-15 01:58 PM
    That was an interesting article. The Samsung LCD phones did work a bit below freezing. The backlight and CPU heat should keep the LCD above ambient a bit.

The LIon battery does seem to be the culprit. You run into the same problem with modern DSLRs.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 03:26 PM
    Again -30 with no screen or keyboard issues! Wtg BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 06:38 PM
    Yikes. Minus 30 Fahrenheit I hope.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 07:02 PM
    Temperatures no problem here. :-)

Always between +10 (extreme cold snap at night in "winter") and +36C (hot November or January day),
    Doesn't get any hotter here in the wet tropics due to the humidity. In the tropical highlands where they grow coffee, avocados and potatoes and currently experiment with olives they get minus every now and then. Worst cold snap was -8, a lot of tropical fruit treed died... :-(

I can't put the phone on the dashboard, due to intense solar rays it heats up a lot within a very short time. That's really bad for the battery...

Out west in the desert things are different, they get their forties easily, and inside a car it can be even hotter (parked, no AC). Haven't tried my 'berries there, unless you are exploring or working in the mines, why would you venture there ...?

�   A berry good start and God's blessing to all in 2015 ...   �
    01-03-15 06:52 PM
    I used to clean up snow last year here in St Paul Mn. Temperatures never got above 5 Fahrenheit or -15 Celsius. Never got a problem with my z30. I do hate it that if it gets wet the screen becomes unresponsive requiring a restart.

Supporting the people's struggle worldwide via my STA 100-5, Z30.
    01-04-15 11:38 AM
    I used to clean up snow last year here in St Paul Mn. Temperatures never got above 5 Fahrenheit or -15 Celsius. Never got a problem with my z30. I do hate it that if it gets wet the screen becomes unresponsive requiring a restart.

Supporting the people's struggle worldwide via my STA 100-5, Z30.
    You would probably need a glove with the capacitive finger or a stylus. I don't think any of these phones like a wet finger.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-15 06:30 PM
    Temperatures no problem here. :-)

Always between +10 (extreme cold snap at night in "winter") and +36C (hot November or January day),
    Doesn't get any hotter here in the wet tropics due to the humidity. In the tropical highlands where they grow coffee, avocados and potatoes and currently experiment with olives they get minus every now and then. Worst cold snap was -8, a lot of tropical fruit treed died... :-(

I can't put the phone on the dashboard, due to intense solar rays it heats up a lot within a very short time. That's really bad for the battery...

Out west in the desert things are different, they get their forties easily, and inside a car it can be even hotter (parked, no AC). Haven't tried my 'berries there, unless you are exploring or working in the mines, why would you venture there ...?

I get the BlackBerry symbol in your signature file, but what is the other one?

I've run my Z10 in Las Vegas. It was 44 deg C. I had a notebook running in the SUV with no AC. The notebook ran, as did the fans. It was the first time I ever heard the fans.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-15 06:35 PM
    My iPhone stops working around -20. A screen with a thermometer comes up and says the phone is too hot actually. I always take my BlackBerry snowmobiling as it always works.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-15 06:40 PM
    I get the BlackBerry symbol in your signature file, but what is the other one?

I've run my Z10 in Las Vegas. It was 44 deg C. I had a notebook running in the SUV with no AC. The notebook ran, as did the fans. It was the first time I ever heard the fans.

Posted via CB10
    - It's the official logo,
    - and the "Connected to Blackberry" (NOC) symbol, which you can usually find near the 3G/H/4G antenna bars upper right corner
    -plus a simple dot (no single berry particle available, I guess)

:-)

01-04-15 11:14 PM
    I'm in Canada so temp is in Celsius. Coldest temp used phone in so far was -40 with wind. No issues with phone. Just awesome!

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 08:52 PM