I think it's been fairly well established in these forums that Berries are addictive. But why?

I've had smartphones and PDA phones before. It's not a new toy factor. So why do I have the need to check this thing and feel phantom hip vibratons unlike any other? Is it like sensory satisfaction with the combo of trackball, lights and vibration? Why so I like it so much more than all those other devices out there?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-07 04:29 PM
    I don't know what it is either, but I love it

12-27-07 04:35 PM
    Does it really matter? Crack Away!!!!!
    12-27-07 05:13 PM
    I agree, don't fight the urge just go with it.

12-27-07 05:47 PM
    It works, plain and simple.

12-27-07 05:56 PM
    I don't know either. When someone finds out, I'll pass it on to my wife (....as my wife walks by rolling her eyes). Seriously, I think it's because new technology and the fact that if you stick around this site long enough, you want to come back daily - for the positive communication. I still remember (way back when...) my bag phone(s) and my small "StarTac" phone were considered cutting edge.

12-27-07 06:46 PM
    I can positively say that since using my crackberry for the first time this past june, I will "never" go back to a plain mobile device. I am hopelessly addicted to my crackberry!!!!

12-27-07 11:54 PM
    i was wondering that myself
    12-28-07 09:29 PM
    This may be a bit on the negative side so take it with the knowledge that I am a fellow addict and love my berry AND this forum, but here is my theory.

I think we can all agree that the instructions included with the device, well, suck. As a non-computer user figuring out how to make the simplest things work, or the most basic changes happen was a trial at best. There were problems with the OS. The Verizon folks, and I'm assuming the other carriers are just as bad--I know the AT&T CS are useless in most cases, don't know jack.

I don't think the software is very intuitive either. And the "official" websites for the device are very lean in the useful info.

My point? If my experience is at all like others, you have found that you must find a group of folks, like here and pinstack, who can answer your questions and have gone through the learning curve of your device in order to be able to use it effectively.

Why is this an addictive quality? Because with each tiny victory you have--changing your theme, uploading a game after many attempts, figuring out how to load songs you paid for over many years onto the device, getting that light to stop/start blinking, etc, etc...you become more attached to your berry. Every time you make a problem go away, you are a little more pleased with your purchase, every time you slay a disappointment, find an answer to something that has confounded you, read tell of others who are able to do what you are dreaming of with their own same model/carrier version, you become a little more hopeful. AND all this time you are finding the device more and more useful, you can beginning to navigate it with ease, maybe you are even starting to see NEWER newbies than yourself going through the exact same pains you did a few weeks ago on the forums --the love grows.

Now you can take pics and send them in an email whenever you want. Find all of the plumbing supply stores within a mile of you. See if traffic is super effed up, or merely really effed up on the bay bridge. Look for a fish and chip take out place and call in your order with one hand. And so on. You can even lend a helping hand to those newer newbies and answer the questions that you yourself asked a couple months ago. The rain has turned to rainbows and you like the cleaner, fresher smell that storm left behind.

Or somethin'.

Eli
    Last edited by ong-gia; 12-28-07 at 10:22 PM.
    12-28-07 10:19 PM
    My 2 cents: its so easy to use and it just works.

12-28-07 10:25 PM
    My 2 cents: its so easy to use and it just works.

and this makes it addictive?
    12-29-07 01:20 AM
    I don't know either. When someone finds out, I'll pass it on to my wife (....as my wife walks by rolling her eyes). Seriously, I think it's because new technology and the fact that if you stick around this site long enough, you want to come back daily - for the positive communication. I still remember (way back when...) my bag phone(s) and my small "StarTac" phone were considered cutting edge.

HAHA!!! I remember getting my first "mobile" phone, you know, the Motorola "brick". I was so proud that I was part of the cutting edge and that my friends didn't own any type of mobile phone at all. Then my parents splurged and bought a StarTac for $500. I was jealous for months ...HAHA!!! Thanks for the memories!
    12-29-07 02:29 AM
    For me, it's addictive because I've never owned a smartphone, palm pilot, PDA -- whatever. There's still so much for me to learn and get adjusted to. It's a great tool, and I milk it for all it's worth. :]
    12-30-07 02:51 AM
    I can remember my Motorola V60i flip phone. I thought I was so cool! That thing didn't even have a color screen HAHA!!
    12-30-07 04:02 AM
    I am definately more addicted to my Pearl than I was to my Motorola Q. That might be because I usually looked at the Q with an equal mixture of loathing and wondering if it was going to crash if I touched it. I really like the green/red LED on the Berry, maybe I'm addicted to the flashing light! Lol.
    12-30-07 10:08 AM
    I tended to stay away from non-flip phones in the past...Boy was I missing out LOL!!!! So now I have my Crackberry and Flip!!!

Who knows why it's so addictive...I do wonder though if I will be this addicted 6mths from now. You know when things are new and exciting then after a while...bland. We shall see!!!
    01-05-08 12:00 AM
    I totally agree! Everything new is exciting! hopefully this addiction wont get boring...

This is my first Blackberry and so far I am very addicted (I've only had it for like a month). Can't seem to put it down! I still have a lot to learn tho!
    01-05-08 01:00 AM
    That's because they are "toys"... adult toys. Not the other kind...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/our-new-barbie-4960/
    01-05-08 01:50 AM
    I think it's addictive because it reflect the life we live today, and they are so complete with all stuffs and when you need emails, pins, MMS, or else you get it fast and instantly. Hope that ther won,t be any cure to be addictive to BB. What else to say, just enjoy it. See you...
    01-05-08 07:51 AM
    I was always envious of blackberry users when I wasn't one. It seemed like a cool elite in-crowd club to be in and if one wanted to be in the club you'd have to pay to play, but I was never willing to pay. So I had other pda/smartphones teetering on the edge of Blackberryville, but it wasn't until I called myself saving money and stepped down to a RaZr for about 6 months that I decided enough already!!!!!! I want a BB!

So I did it and I'm so amazed and in awe about everything I was missing......I'm so happy and I'm loving my new addiction. Now I will get the dirty looks from others! Here's a cup of haterade non-BB users!

01-05-08 09:18 AM
    It works. I would never have time to be online to research things or do email without it. I have a laptop, but I hardly ever bother turning it on, it's such a pain.

I have two jobs and a family, so every second counts. I can't survive without internets; maps and information, groups and help. With the berry, every second can be made useful.

I do get strange looks while my kid is loving dinosaur exhibits at the museum, and I'm cool to let him linger because I can still get work done.

01-07-08 03:32 PM
    I was always envious of blackberry users when I wasn't one. It seemed like a cool elite in-crowd club to be in and if one wanted to be in the club you'd have to pay to play, but I was never willing to pay. So I had other pda/smartphones teetering on the edge of Blackberryville, but it wasn't until I called myself saving money and stepped down to a RaZr for about 6 months that I decided enough already!!!!!! I want a BB!

So I did it and I'm so amazed and in awe about everything I was missing......I'm so happy and I'm loving my new addiction. Now I will get the dirty looks from others! Here's a cup of haterade non-BB users!

Haha...Haterade to the losers!!!!
    01-07-08 03:37 PM
    I think it's addictive because it reflect the life we live today, and they are so complete with all stuffs and when you need emails, pins, MMS, or else you get it fast and instantly. Hope that ther won,t be any cure to be addictive to BB. What else to say, just enjoy it. See you...
    I agree Yogi!!!!!
    01-07-08 03:38 PM
    One of the biggest things I love is waking up and its the first thing I grab and check for messages and my mail lol... Please tell me I'm not the only one lol
    01-07-08 11:32 PM
    I think it's the combination of the Blackberry and the Crackberry...
    01-10-08 07:29 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD