Okay seriously this is crazy. I went to Telus (I am in Canada) yesterday and I asked to buy a phone at the flat rate no contract price. And they said no! Apparently too many people were returning the phones. I am at a loss. I had plans to purchase a Q10 and stick on my current phone contract. And now I don't even know what to do.

Anyone know a phone company still selling phones outright?

(BestBuy mobile is a no go for selling at flat rate also)
    03-23-13 08:53 AM
    Interesting.

I thought it was only AT&T that was doing that. Last night they wouldn't let me buy a Z10 outright.
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-23-13 09:03 AM
    Interesting.

I thought it was only AT&T that was doing that. Last night they wouldn't let me buy a Z10 outright.
    No apparently it is everyone. Which really bothers me. I was so excited for the Q10 and now I might not be able to get it at all.
    03-23-13 09:17 AM
    Maybe the carriers are trying to make everyone lock into a contract. So maybe thats why there tell you that.
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-23-13 09:29 AM
    You really think it is because people are returning them? Why would you buy with no contract then return the phone?
    03-23-13 09:30 AM
    You really think it is because people are returning them? Why would you buy with no contract then return the phone?
    And if you were on contract can't you still return it?
    BergerKing and lorax1284 like this.
    03-23-13 09:33 AM
    Maybe the carriers are trying to make everyone lock into a contract. So maybe thats why there tell you that.
    That's what I would think; otherwise why would they advertise an off contract price at all. Weird isht.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-23-13 09:40 AM
    If they are trying to lock customers in contracts, then the best thing to do is look for a phone in places like Amazon.com. I'm getting one for my friend that way.
    dphjeff likes this.
    03-23-13 09:44 AM
    From what I have read in Canada there contracts are for three year. So having a customer on the hook for three years would make sure of a lot of revenue for the carriers.
    03-23-13 09:49 AM
    Yep, sounds like lies.
    dphjeff likes this.
    03-23-13 09:52 AM
    There may be some confusion.

It is normal for retailers not to sell them outright for the first 4-6 weeks in Canada.

Future Shop said they would sell me the Z10 when it launched as long as they activated it. So if you were and existing Telus customer they would activate it on your Telus account and take $35 from you for that.

On Telus subsidiary Koodo you can buy the Z10 AFAIK.
    03-23-13 10:08 AM
    Call customer service They will deal with it
    03-23-13 10:15 AM
    Certain places that are 3rd party sellers that work on behalf of the big networks might sell it out right. Try wireless wave. The telephone booth. Walmart, best buy etc.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-13 10:16 AM
    Okay seriously this is crazy. I went to Telus (I am in Canada) yesterday and I asked to buy a phone at the flat rate no contract price. And they said no! Apparently too many people were returning the phones. I am at a loss. I had plans to purchase a Q10 and stick on my current phone contract. And now I don't even know what to do.

Anyone know a phone company still selling phones outright?

(BestBuy mobile is a no go for selling at flat rate also)
    Here you go. Best Buy. Outright for $649.99
    Telus BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone - Black - Reserve & Pick Up In-Store Only - Activation Required
    Model #: NLBBSTL1003BK Web Code: 10237701
    Telus BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone - Black - Reserve & Pick Up In-Store Only - Activation Required : Telus BlackBerry - Best Buy Canada

But why would you ask to buy a phone outright yesterday . . . . . . when the Q10 won't be available until sometime in April?
    03-23-13 10:22 AM
    I think that we are going to see major changes in carrier billing in the next 6 month to a year. With customer data usage going up and the carrier data plans decreasing in size. There going to squeeze every dime out of there customers.
    03-23-13 10:52 AM
    Let me just add the info I provided was said from the sales rep in Telus. Also it's not just three year contracts in Canada there are one and two years as well -.-

And we'll ill just have to wait until till the release of the Q10 and try my luck at places
    03-23-13 11:19 AM
    T-Mobile is actually going subsidy-less soon. And I can't wait. They've had no-subsidy options for quite awhile, and I've been on a plan like that since I purchased the 9700 (I've gone through...let's see...5 phones since then). They launch their "uncarrier" plans the same day they launch the Z10 (March 26th), AND they launch LTE in my area. It's like the trifecta of awesomeness for me .

Here are T-Mo's new plans:

(Update) Breaking Down T-Mobile's New Uncarrier, No-Contract, One Rate Plan Fits All Approach | TmoNewsTmoNews
    bunky1971, bungaboy and dphjeff like this.
    03-23-13 11:30 AM
    Cant wait till Tuesday to get the T-Mobile Z10!!!!
    03-23-13 11:42 AM
    Cant wait till Tuesday to get the T-Mobile Z10!!!!
    Nice that you're excited and all but this is really off my main topic of this thread
    03-23-13 01:55 PM
    Nice that you're excited and all but this is really off my main topic of this thread
    I think bunny was responding to my post regarding the fact that you can still buy phones outright from T-Mobile. In fact, that's a stipulation of their new plans.
    03-23-13 03:16 PM
    Try buying it online from Best Buy. They have an option to "Replace device without contract extension."
    03-23-13 05:21 PM
    I think bunny was responding to my post regarding the fact that you can still buy phones outright from T-Mobile. In fact, that's a stipulation of their new plans.
    Fair enough
    03-23-13 10:23 PM
    Try buying it online from Best Buy. They have an option to "Replace device without contract extension."
    And I did go to BestBuy Mobile. And they don't sell phones outright.
    03-23-13 10:24 PM
    And I did go to BestBuy Mobile. And they don't sell phones outright.
    I was able to put it in my cart. Best Buy not your friend.
    03-23-13 11:52 PM
    I came around some forums and got the same questions in some site they mentioned that the phone which is purchased after january 26-2013 , will coming with contract only and cant get the phone without contract
    04-02-13 05:52 AM