I recently got a virus on my laptop. I'm fairly in the know about computers and spent a good deal of time trying to clean it but no luck. Time for a wipe and reload of XP. This is where the fun begins...

My laptop cdrom doesn't work. I have a us CD-ROM that doesn't boot since its USB. My plan was to start an install in windows then that loads the setup files to the HD and install that way. I've done it this way many times but it won't let me start like this because of the virus.

So I get a buddies laptop, take it his HD and put mine in. Then install windows on it from the cd then within that windows install start a new install. When it goes to restart the computer I turn it off and put the HD back into my computer and turn it on. Setup starts, copies files then restarts and before it gets to the setup GUI I get BSOD. It will boot to gui in safe mode but then I get the "setup can't continue in safe mode" and a reboot.

How can I install xp in a laptop that has no CD-ROM? Like I said I have another laptop I can use to pre the HD I just need setup to finish in my computer. HELP!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-09 02:26 AM
    well I know it's under off-topic discussions, but this is a BLACKBERRY site, not necessarily a PC site. You should try a computer forum.

That being said, the best way is to use a external HD. Open the install disc as either an .iso or just a plain setup.exe file. there's a bunch of freeware apps for opening .iso's in Windows like MagicISO and others. the PC won't know the difference, just make sure you run the disk image on internal hard drive.
    06-08-09 02:45 AM
    I got it actually to work. Thanks tho!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-09 02:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD