My wife was the first smartphone owner in our house w/ the purchase of a Blackberry 7XXXX 4 years ago. Basically, because of her, I got into the smartphone game myself after seeing all the things her phone could do. Well, several blackberries later (including a Motorola Q) we both found ourselves w/ the Blackberry Storm which we were fairly satisfied with - actually she was much more satisfied with it than I was.

Well, along comes the Motorola Droid. After the clever marketing and the glowing user experiences I had to have one. My only problem is that I wasn't due for an early upgrade until March 2010.......but my wife was due just after the release of the Droid. I knew she was happy w/ the Storm, so I talked her into letting me have her early upgrade. She wanted to know what phone I was getting, and I told her the Moto Droid. After a few weeks w/ the Droid she wanted to know how it differed from the Blackberry Storm - and this is where the problem comes in........I TOTALLY AND INTENTIONALLY PLAYED DOWN THE CAPABILITIES OF THE DROID. I told her that it was only "so-so" and that I wasn't sure I would keep it (knowing full well that I loved it and it was a keeper). I also sweetened everything by telling her to wait for the iPhone on Verizon around the summer of 2010.

If I didn't do that she would've seen all the things the DROID can do and assumed that I tricked her and would've demanded her early upgrade back for herself. Well, 2 mornings ago I awoke to her playing w/ my Droid (no pun intended) and now she is no longer satisfied w/ the Storm and wants her upgrade back - or to give her MY Droid and me wait for my upgrade in March. She said that I deceived her and she wants the phone or the upgrade NOW. I feel that she legitimately gave me the upgrade and that she should wait until March. Who's right?
    Last edited by kalexan9; 12-06-09 at 12:33 AM.
    12-06-09 12:31 AM
    You're married? Sounds like some kids arguing to me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-09 12:36 AM
    lol, well she is the wife, so she is always right.

Don't know, you can always pay retail for a new one.
    12-06-09 12:36 AM
    GIVE UP THE PHONE! Or its gonna be couch time for you...lol!
    12-06-09 12:44 AM
    lol, well she is the wife, so she is always right.
    Don't know, you can always pay retail for a new one.
    GIVE UP THE PHONE! Or its gonna be couch time for you...lol!
    Tomorrow, I will offer to pay half of the cost of the March upgrade when it rolls around. Or, maybe by then the rumored Passion will be availiable.
    12-06-09 12:49 AM
    You know you have to give it up or you'll have to give up something else...
    12-06-09 01:04 AM
    Just give it up or you know the price you will pay in the long run
    12-06-09 01:08 AM
    Dude....you're screwed. Never mess with the wifey. I would like to say stick to your guns....but....nahh. It's either you give it up. Or you deal with her being a grump b.utt. Funny story though. I enjoyed reading it. Thanks.

12-06-09 01:55 AM
    Give it up!

You will lose in the long run.

I think Verizon will let you upgrade early for a small fee. Try talking to them first.

No phone is worth an argument with your wife.
    12-06-09 02:23 AM
    Go to DROID counseling.....................
    12-06-09 02:34 AM
    Another example of why honesty is so important in a relationship. Call VZW and see what they can do to get you an early upgrade. That's what l did. I didn't pay full retail. Also got 100.00 rebate.

12-06-09 04:43 AM
    Is she hot? Pics?

(Someone had to)

12-06-09 05:12 AM
    You need to make a choice.

What's more important, keeping your wife happy or having the coolest phone?

(obviously having the coolest phone)
    12-06-09 07:22 AM
    Maybe share this story with a VZW Rep and get an early upgrade... just a thought.
    12-06-09 08:50 AM
    There is an old saying that applies to married couples: "one can be right or one can be happy, but not both." so what do YOU want to be? I am married and happy!
    Last edited by ejc1214; 12-06-09 at 09:06 AM.
    12-06-09 09:03 AM
    I just got about $200 for my Storm 1 on eBay, then with the $100 rebate, the Droid will basically be free for me. Even if you end up paying full price for a Droid, based on the math, you'd still only be paying about $200 for your own Droid at full price. Of course, I don't know what condition your Storm is in or what you'd be offering to sell with accessories.
    12-06-09 09:07 AM
    That is funny...I hope it is not taken to seriously though....maybe playing down the droid was NOT the thing to do..lol.
    12-06-09 09:44 AM
    Here's an alternative way to finish the deal ...

Let her know that the HTC Passion and/or the 8.0 MP Droid is coming in Q1 2010. Then, give her the choice:

1) either SHE can wait until Q1 2010 and get the newer device and use your upgrade at that time, and you keep the DROID today

or ...

2) she keeps the DROID today, and then, she has to painfully watch you play with a better phone in a few months !!!

Try this out buddy, hope it works for ya

PS... I am married too. When I first saw your posting, I thought that you were in Tiger Woods kinda trouble. This isn't too bad, no prenuptial agreement re-write required here
    Last edited by sonni_kuba; 12-06-09 at 10:17 AM.
    12-06-09 10:14 AM
    You need to ask who is right? I think you know the answer to that, but not exactly what you want to hear.
    12-06-09 10:18 AM
    There is an old saying that applies to married couples: "one can be right or one can be happy, but not both." so what do YOU want to be? I am married and happy!
    And always wrong
    12-06-09 10:23 AM
    hahah you should call VZW and explain your story and hopefully someone will give you a break! Hopefully you get a male who'd be more understanding.

The idea above about playing up the Passion could help you out though!!

Sounds like your wife knows what she's talking about and for that fact alone you were setting yourself up to get in trouble.
    12-06-09 10:43 AM
    Here's an alternative way to finish the deal ...

Let her know that the HTC Passion and/or the 8.0 MP Droid is coming in Q1 2010. Then, give her the choice:

1) either SHE can wait until Q1 2010 and get the newer device and use your upgrade at that time, and you keep the DROID today

or ...

2) she keeps the DROID today, and then, she has to painfully watch you play with a better phone in a few months !!!

Try this out buddy, hope it works for ya

PS... I am married too. When I first saw your posting, I thought that you were in Tiger Woods kinda trouble. This isn't too bad, no prenuptial agreement re-write required here
    Ok, it looks like I can keep the Droid for myself, but like Tiger Woods, it's gonna cost me. She wants me to pay for her upgrade price in Feb/Mar in exchange for me keeping the Droid. I also fessed up and showed her everything I like about the Droid, and now, the Storm has become radioactive and toxic to her. I'm checking into eBaying it for her now.
    12-06-09 11:00 AM
    Divorce her.

Pretty simple.
    12-06-09 11:05 AM
    sad to say but an unhappy woman will make for an unhappy home,I have ignored this saying for years but have recently began to believe it and trust me you need to keep the broad happy,just buy another.
    12-06-09 11:18 AM
    Divorce her.

Pretty simple.
    Wouldn't you end up paying more by divorcing? Through all the support you'd be paying monthly lol
    12-06-09 11:25 AM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD