I know this may be a left turn at a red light, and I'm not sure if this idea has come up yet, but here goes:

To preface this, I had the Storm1 since day one and I loved it. The problem I had was dust under the screen made me have to clean it out. I ended up scratching the thing. It still works, but the screen looks so weird. So I got a Tour off of EBay and I love having a keyboard again.

The problem is, every now and again, I try to click my Tour screen and come close to accidentally breaking it. I also miss the flick scrolling and other touch screen based workings and I hate the trackball. After having flick scrolling on my Storm, and now having a trackball, to get to the top/bottom/middle of something I have to scroll... and scroll... and scroll... and scroll...

I am hoping to upgrade to the Storm2 in about a week, but will definitely miss the keyboard. I love the shortcuts, speed dialing, and lack of typing lag. The thing I WILL NOT MISS will be that trackball. If, on my Storm, I misspell a word but keep on typing, I just have to select it with my finger and change it. On the Tour, I have to scroll... and scroll... and scroll... and scroll...

Now to my point:
    If RIM could just make some sort of hybrid, such as a Tour or Bold with a Surepress touchscreen but keyboard still on the bottom, I would buy that up in a heartbeat. That way, we can have the best of both worlds.

The main gripe from the Storm1/2 community is the fact that the virtual keyboard is inaccurate and so different. It is just so slow that it is almost painful. Having the original BB keyboard at the bottom would solve this issue.

The main gripe from the Tour community (and me) is the trackball. People complaining about the thing failing and getting messed up. With a touchscreen at the top, you wouldn't even need a trackball (although one could still be incorporated).

The Surepress touchscreen could be used like the Storm, but still have that nice keyboard and all of those great shortcuts. If this were a reality, I would scarf that up like Goldilocks on a hungry day.

What do all of you think about this? Would this be something anyone else would be interested in if it were a reality or am I the only one?

::end rant::
    11-27-09 10:10 PM
    Look at the proposed Magnum/Pluto.

It's exactly what you're talking about, I have been researching it for about 6-8 months or so now lol.
    11-27-09 10:33 PM
    Really? Seriously, that would be exactly what I would be looking for. I swap back and forth between my Storm and Tour. I use my Tour until I get tired of the trackball and lack of flick scrolling, and I swap to my Storm. Then I swap back after I get tired of having to hit the BB button for the shortcuts a simple button on the keyboard could accomplish.

When is this supposedly going to be a reality. I have never heard of this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-09 10:38 PM
    is the proposed Magnum/Pluto real? most of the pictures i found look photoshoped or edited?
    11-28-09 02:54 AM
    I hope so. Again, I would buy something like this up. I could only imagine it as being the best BB EVER!!!
    11-28-09 12:43 PM
    You can always go with the S2, and something such as this:

WAPers do it With A Passion

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-09 09:55 PM
    Yeah, I'm with you on this and have been thinking the same for quite a while now. They could make the screen longer and remove the physical buttons of talk/end/menu/back/trackpad and leave the keyboard. That would make a decent screen size.

Add a new web browser and you'll have the ultimate phone!
    11-30-09 01:56 PM
    WHOA!

How hard did you press on that screen?!?!
    11-30-09 04:13 PM
    as for the scrolling on the tour, you can hit the letter "T" to get to the top of the page, and "B" to get to the bottom. space bar pages down and shift+spacebar pages up.
    11-30-09 05:11 PM
    WHOA!

How hard did you press on that screen?!?!
    You don't need to press hard. You know how LCD screens color up when you drag your finger on them? Well, it's a little like that. The coloring goes weird and, me being the pessimist I am, I expect it to break. As long as I'm expecting it, when it happens, I can't get pissed because I knew it was going to happen.

as for the scrolling on the tour, you can hit the letter "T" to get to the top of the page, and "B" to get to the bottom. space bar pages down and shift+spacebar pages up.
    I know those shortcuts. The thing is, when you're typing an E-mail and miss something (not at the top or bottom, but somewhere in the middle) there is no shortcut for that. The Storm allowed you to just place your finger where you wanted the cursor and it instantly jumped there. There was no scrolling up then over to get to where you wanted to go.

Maybe you want to re-word a sentence a few paragraphs back. You will have to scroll up and up and up and up and then scroll over and over and over and over and over until you get the cursor where you want it to be.

The Storm's touchscreen allowed you to just point and click and you can jump everything on the screen. You could even flick-scroll to a different paragraph if you wanted to.

Perfect example would be a spreadsheet. Have you ever worked with one on a BB? To get to the cell you want you have to scroll from column A to column BB, then from row 1 to row 213. Pain in the a**. The touchscreen allowed you to flick once to the are the desired cell was in and ::CLICK:: you were where you wanted to be.

That's all I'm saying here. For business use like this, it is impractical to have a trackball when you can be rid of it and have a touchscreen instead, making the screen bigger in the process.
    11-30-09 09:03 PM
    You don't need to press hard. You know how LCD screens color up when you drag your finger on them? Well, it's a little like that. The coloring goes weird and, me being the pessimist I am, I expect it to break. As long as I'm expecting it, when it happens, I can't get pissed because I knew it was going to happen.

I know those shortcuts. The thing is, when you're typing an E-mail and miss something (not at the top or bottom, but somewhere in the middle) there is no shortcut for that. The Storm allowed you to just place your finger where you wanted the cursor and it instantly jumped there. There was no scrolling up then over to get to where you wanted to go.

Maybe you want to re-word a sentence a few paragraphs back. You will have to scroll up and up and up and up and then scroll over and over and over and over and over until you get the cursor where you want it to be.

The Storm's touchscreen allowed you to just point and click and you can jump everything on the screen. You could even flick-scroll to a different paragraph if you wanted to.

Perfect example would be a spreadsheet. Have you ever worked with one on a BB? To get to the cell you want you have to scroll from column A to column BB, then from row 1 to row 213. Pain in the a**. The touchscreen allowed you to flick once to the are the desired cell was in and ::CLICK:: you were where you wanted to be.

That's all I'm saying here. For business use like this, it is impractical to have a trackball when you can be rid of it and have a touchscreen instead, making the screen bigger in the process.
    i get ya completely. it is slightly annoying, especially in docs.
    12-01-09 12:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD