Plus. About theme builder 7, they sometimes aren't allowed to say anything. At least they tell you. Does apple confirm rumors from far behind release!?
    The least they can do is say that they're working on it, however from what I've been reading, they're actually not.
    03-15-12 01:33 PM
    The least they can do is say that they're working on it, however from what I've been reading, they're actually not.
    Alec Saunders has said many times its being worked on?
    03-15-12 01:35 PM
    Oh yeah?! You do a few searches on CB and then come back to this thread. You will be surprised.
    03-15-12 01:35 PM
    To OP. All this is IMHO and should be considered as-is.

Ok your phone is messed up ... so you have to restart from scratch.

My sequence would be :
    1/ Save all I can using the device mounted drive (when connecting to the PC/Mac)
    2/ Make a backup (for what it worse ... as said before, it backups ... all, problems included)
    3/ Sync my phone with my mail/calendar/contact desktop client
    -- There I have pretty much everything I wanna save ---
    4/ Uninstall the desktop manager (probably given by your carrier ?) that is "totaly lost due to shrink and multiple unsuccessful attempts". Empty everything like "temp files". Restart the Desktop
    5/ Install a brand new copy of DM (BlackBerry - Desktop Software for PC) and do a clean install (I'd target another install folder).
    6/ Wipe my phone, accept whatever OS DM prompts me (Should be OS 6)
    ---- and from there ----
    You can start again, dealing with whatever you want, including downgrading with the DM.

Actually you're just making a sandwich of abnormal OS + partial install + messed setup + missing service books + ... what else ?

P.S: and - oh ! - use regular load for your apps; connect to BB site and use the web installer or go to AppWorld ...
    03-15-12 01:36 PM
    The executives at RIM on twitter are not there to answer every question from disgrunted customers.
    Fact is, you are on a 2.5 year old device, that amazingly still works perfectly. You play around with the OS's and alter them and then are upset when you run into a problem.
    I get it, I was frustrated too when I recently attempted an OS 5 downgrade on my 9700, the BB ID was causing havoc with allowing me to use app world and set everything up. But its not RIMs fault, I altered the OS and didn't have access to wifi to fix the problems I needed to fix. Ultimately I went back to the latest os 6, shrunk it and was happy again. I shrink OS 6 so low I start with 130 mb of memory, and it works perfectly. I refurbished my phone as I bought a damaged one a long time ago and it works perfectly, but if I run into a problem, I can't blame RIM because I take it apart, swap parts and make it work.
    The 9700 is one of the best phones EVER made.
    2 good OS choices, great display, KB, amazing battery life, replacible batt, excellent at handling media, plenty of good apps, decent camera, charging contacts, 2 conv keys and durable as . You can throw this thing and it will get up and ask for more. Its also easy to self repair.

Let me know how many 2-4 year old android devices you see that work like new. I know my friends and collegues get new ones every 6-12 months and still complain about basic issues, like ty auto correct, random reboots, battery life. But hot dammmn if they can't watch netflix.

Give RIM some credit. They deserve it.

-From the 9700
    03-15-12 01:45 PM
    The executives at RIM on twitter are not there to answer every question from disgrunted customers.
    Fact is, you are on a 2.5 year old device, that amazingly still works perfectly. You play around with the OS's and alter them and then are upset when you run into a problem.
    I get it, I was frustrated too when I recently attempted an OS 5 downgrade on my 9700, the BB ID was causing havoc with allowing me to use app world and set everything up. But its not RIMs fault, I altered the OS and didn't have access to wifi to fix the problems I needed to fix. Ultimately I went back to the latest os 6, shrunk it and was happy again. I shrink OS 6 so low I start with 130 mb of memory, and it works perfectly. I refurbished my phone as I bought a damaged one a long time ago and it works perfectly, but if I run into a problem, I can't blame RIM because I take it apart, swap parts and make it work.
    2 good OS choices, great display, KB, amazing battery life, replacible batt, excellent at handling media, plenty of good apps, decent camera, charging contacts, 2 conv keys and durable as . You can throw this thing and it will get up and ask for more. Its also easy to self repair.

Let me know how many 2-4 year old android devices you see that work like new. I know my friends and collegues get new ones every 6-12 months and still complain about basic issues, like ty auto correct, random reboots, battery life. But hot dammmn if they can't watch netflix.

-From the 9700
    Wow. I have to admit that I haven't seen a post as good as that

Thumbs up.
    03-15-12 01:48 PM
    Alec Saunders has said many times its being worked on?
    Oh yeah?! You do a few searches on CB and then come back to this thread. You will be surprised.
    You guys are right, I just found Kevin's article on CB with Sanders' quote giving an estimated arrival of mid 2012. I guess I was a bit stuck on a thread that's been going around on BlackBerry Support forums where there seems to be a bit less info :-)

EDIT: However, I also noticed that there haven't been any updates since November on the topic, and knowing how RIM likes to delay things, it really makes me wonder if that'll be the case for this as well :-(

To OP. All this is IMHO and should be considered as-is.

Ok your phone is messed up ... so you have to restart from scratch.

My sequence would be :
    1/ Save all I can using the device mounted drive (when connecting to the PC/Mac)
    2/ Make a backup (for what it worse ... as said before, it backups ... all, problems included)
    3/ Sync my phone with my mail/calendar/contact desktop client
    -- There I have pretty much everything I wanna save ---
    4/ Uninstall the desktop manager (probably given by your carrier ?) that is "totaly lost due to shrink and multiple unsuccessful attempts". Empty everything like "temp files". Restart the Desktop
    5/ Install a brand new copy of DM (BlackBerry - Desktop Software for PC) and do a clean install (I'd target another install folder).
    6/ Wipe my phone, accept whatever OS DM prompts me (Should be OS 6)
    ---- and from there ----
    You can start again, dealing with whatever you want, including downgrading with the DM.

Actually you're just making a sandwich of abnormal OS + partial install + messed setup + missing service books + ... what else ?

P.S: and - oh ! - use regular load for your apps; connect to BB site and use the web installer or go to AppWorld ...
    I do appreciate the walk-through, however I've done the steps you've mentioned more than once in the past, and I've already fixed my phone.

Again, I am by no means complaining about my phone being messed up, I know how to fix it. My issue has been with the lack of at OTA download of BB maps that seems to be set up but not functional on blackberry.com/maps .
    Last edited by Sashko; 03-15-12 at 02:03 PM.
    03-15-12 01:49 PM

-From the 9700
    While I agree with just about everything mentioned here, I don't quite understand why so many people are assuming that I have a problem with the results of my shrink or the status my phone has been in after modding it, as that's not at all the case. Once again, the prob is with the BB maps OTA not working (among a few other issues I've come across along the way). And mostly so, I was just trying to vent a little.

As for RIM having better devices than the others, well for the most part, I'd say that that's a matter of what you need. For myself, I'd personally agree that that's the case which is why I've stuck around with BlackBerrys for so long. As for random reboots, I get that on my BlackBerry every once in a while with my non-modified OS (OK, maybe not random, but when starting voice dial mostly, and my GPS will stop working requiring a reboot every once in a while). But I wasn't even complaining about those issues.

Anyhow, I've been giving RIM a ton of credit since I started using their devices, however I'm starting to get more and more frustrated lately with the way things have been going with them. I'm still a huge fan of theirs, but I'm hoping that they start improving the things that have been making them fall apart lately.
    03-15-12 01:56 PM
    http://mobileapps.blackberry.com/dev...y.do?code=maps

This link does not work ?
    Then you may consider re-install the Device Manager ... lucky you, it's on this exact same page ... ;-). Note: you must use Internet Explorer > 5 ...
    03-15-12 01:59 PM

Then you may consider re-install the Device Manager ... lucky you, it's on this exact same page ... ;-). Note: you must use Internet Explorer > 5 ...
    You beat me to it to post this link. I hate you now
    03-15-12 02:03 PM

Sends me to the same "BlackBerrry Maps Installer" that blackberry.com/send/maps sends me to :-( Regardless, I've re-installed my OS as well as BB maps using the computer already. I do appreciate the attempt to help though :-)

EDIT: Wait a sec, I need to use IE on my BlackBerry, wuh? That doesn't sound very "OTA" to me :-/
    03-15-12 02:05 PM
    You beat me to it to post this link. I hate you now
    mouhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
    BTW, my 9900 isn't supported. I bookmarked this some time ago ... so could work for ancient OS ?
    03-15-12 02:06 PM
    Sends me to the same "BlackBerrry Maps Installer" that blackberry.com/send/maps sends me to :-( Regardless, I've re-installed my OS as well as BB maps using the computer already. I do appreciate the attempt to help though :-)

EDIT: Wait a sec, I need to use IE on my BlackBerry, wuh? That doesn't very very "OTA" to me :-/
    Connect your BB to your DESKTOP, browse the address (or another if this one isn't ok) with I.E on your desktop ... and follow instructions

EDIT : ok, bummer, you want absolutely an OTA ... have you reached rroyy.com pages ?
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 03-15-12 at 02:09 PM.
    03-15-12 02:07 PM
    mouhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
    BTW, my 9900 isn't supported. I bookmarked this some time ago ... so could work for ancient OS ?
    Making using the computer, but definitely not OTA.

Connect your BB to your DESKTOP, browse the address (or another if this one isn't ok) with I.E on your desktop ... and follow instructions
    Yes, my concern has been with installing it OTA, which this does note take care of. And in fact, that link makes it seem like it would work OTA when opening it through the BB, but offers me the download of the installer again as mentioned above.
    03-15-12 02:10 PM
    EDIT : ok, bummer, you want absolutely an OTA ... have you reached rroyy.com pages ?
    rroyy.com seems pretty cool, but it doesn't have Maps on there. I'll definitely keep that site in mind for future purposes however, I appreciate it :-)
    03-15-12 02:11 PM
    Well, when I feel I can't help ... I browse ... crackberry.com ... and finally find a ...
    "It's CORE app, there is NO OTA" ... Shrink disease ?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/storm-3...a-link-180661/
    03-15-12 02:14 PM
    rroyy.com seems pretty cool, but it doesn't have Maps on there. I'll definitely keep that site in mind for future purposes however, I appreciate it :-)
    You're welcome.
    If you can't find it on rroyy.com ... well, you can stop searching + ^^
    03-15-12 02:15 PM
    How many more RIM downturns can we take?

Seven. Exactly seven. I've used some pretty intense calculations to come up with this number but trust me. Seven is the ABSOULTE maximum number of more downturns we can take. Anything after that? Man, you don't even want to know.
    03-15-12 03:33 PM
    How many more RIM downturns can we take?

Seven. Exactly seven. I've used some pretty intense calculations to come up with this number but trust me. Seven is the ABSOULTE maximum number of more downturns we can take. Anything after that? Man, you don't even want to know.
    what if someone comes out with 6 minute abs?

03-15-12 04:12 PM
    If you think you have issues with RIM... Go visit an Apple or Android forum and have a look at what they are up against... Companies make products... Some products do the job for most and all have issues... I have never seen a technology that has not had issues... I can assure you the RIM is not out to get you.... As with all companies out there they look to the future as is means their survival.....
    03-15-12 05:56 PM
    Well, when I feel I can't help ... I browse ... crackberry.com ... and finally find a ...
    "It's CORE app, there is NO OTA" ... Shrink disease ?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/storm-3...a-link-180661/
    That thread, as well as all of the posts within it, are all from 3 years ago, not to mention that it was related to the Storm which is an entirely different beast altogether. Hence why after doing my usual search on CB on the topic, I created my own thread. On there general consensus seems to be that there's no way to install it OTA, however RIM makes it seem like you can when you visit blackberry.com/maps , hence my frustration leading me to creating this thread.
    The thread in question I've created prior to starting this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...os-5-a-708823/

If you think you have issues with RIM... Go visit an Apple or Android forum and have a look at what they are up against... Companies make products... Some products do the job for most and all have issues... I have never seen a technology that has not had issues... I can assure you the RIM is not out to get you.... As with all companies out there they look to the future as is means their survival.....
    I'm not saying that I'm expecting anyone to be perfect, far from it. I know that every product has its positives and negatives, and that no product is perfect for everyone. What I'm getting at is that there are a few things that have been frustrating me related to my BlackBerry lately, and I thought that I would take the opportunity to vent. I am however starting to see that this might not have been the best place to do so :-(
    03-16-12 01:10 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD