Hi my name is Marlo and I would like to display it in chinese.

Can some one help me?
    01-17-10 11:58 AM
    I just used a few online translators and it does not appear the name translate
    into Chinese.
    01-17-10 12:10 PM
    01-17-10 12:11 PM
    Google translator gives this 馬羅 in traditional Chinese and 马罗 in simplified Chinese. I don't speak or read Chinese, so we'll have to see if folks who do know if the translations are correct.
    01-17-10 12:12 PM
    Closest hits I get for Marlo are

Marloes 马尔露斯 (Mǎ ěr L� sī)
    Marlon 马愣 (Mǎ l�ng)
    01-17-10 12:15 PM

My first name, pronounced Li� d�

I suspect it describes the tall grass like plants we call reeds.
    01-17-10 12:16 PM
    Thanks for pointing out google and the other site for me rmjones. I already googled and visited that site PRIOR to posting on CB!

The assumption that everyone posts without looking for themselves first is a little asinine.

And for the record my name is Marlo not Marlon which the site addy you provided gave the translation for.

But like I said, thanks.
    Last edited by Jedi_Blackberry; 01-17-10 at 12:25 PM. Reason: typo
    01-17-10 12:22 PM

Where did you get it Reed?
    01-17-10 12:23 PM
    The second link in 'Jone post #3.

The problem is, Names are proper nouns and not well suited to direct translation. Nobody in China names their children Reed or Marlo.

However, if in your culture, Marlo has a meaning or translation, that would likely translate.
    01-17-10 12:49 PM

I think it is just a phonetic representation, and they don't use "R" !
    01-17-10 01:45 PM
    Your name in Chinese is Marlo. Thers no fancy nutin about it. Unless you were around 35554484 years ago thers no symbol for you.
    01-17-10 02:34 PM
    Thanks for pointing out google and the other site for me rmjones. I already googled and visited that site PRIOR to posting on CB!

The assumption that everyone posts without looking for themselves first is a little asinine.
    Your original post implies it. Otherwise, you would have posted the chinese characters here and asked how to display it on your blackberry.

Perhaps you should post this in an off-topic forum to solicit help from chinese users who may be able to name you properly. Chinese characters aren't direct letter-to-letter translations. Instead, each character may mean a concept or idea, for example.
    01-17-10 03:11 PM
    Your original post implies it. Otherwise, you would have posted the chinese characters here and asked how to display it on your blackberry.

Perhaps you should post this in an off-topic forum to solicit help from chinese users who may be able to name you properly. Chinese characters aren't direct letter-to-letter translations. Instead, each character may mean a concept or idea, for example.
    How does my post imply anythng other than me asking for help?

Instead of some members in this forum being complete asses with their "use the search function or here let me google it for you" post, here is a suggestion...help or don't help!

I searched on CB first and I looked in the off topic..pin sharing. I even did a genearl search. And because everything that I saw didn't show a lot of activity I posted it in the discussion area.

I realize that there is no direct translation and I figured it would be easier to get a name translated rather than a concept or meaning/idea.

Since then I have used Google Translator and I am happy for the time being.
    01-17-10 04:25 PM

Grass indeed. (oldtimers will get this)

I'm Hand Javin' baby!
    WAPers do it With A Passion

If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-10 07:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD