I thought I'd begin this thread and listen to people's insights on how they cope with living their life with cancer. Today I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. I have had a rollercoaster of emotions all day. Sadness. Defiance. Denial. Will to fight.....At first I was thinking about not telling anyone but then I told my wife I have nothing to be ashamed of....while I don't intend to broadcast it...I will tell my friends, family and continue life as normal as possible. Don't want anyone to feel sorry for me or pity me. I will find out in 2 weeks if it's considered "low risk, medium, or high" and then decide on my options at that point. So this is where you, my CB friends come in.......your input will be taken into consideration.....my wife says not to tell my 13 year old son "yet".......not to worry him.....so when would be the "right" time to tell him? I think he has a right to know like my mother and everyone else.....what do you think?
    sam81 and middbrew like this.
    06-26-15 04:22 PM
    Once you find out the whole story, discuss with him

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.798
    sam81 likes this.
    06-26-15 04:25 PM
    Once you find out the whole story, discuss with him

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.798
    "The whole story"as far as what risk I'm in and what decision I'll take ?
    sam81 likes this.
    06-26-15 04:30 PM
    Prostate cancer is very curable.

Think positive.

Don't hide it from your child. His strength is your strength, along with your wife and friends.

Via my Z30 on the Telus network
    06-26-15 04:35 PM
    I think I'm taking it better than my wife actually. Some of you who know me know that my wife is battling lupus.....so it has been a roller coaster for her. She lost her dad to cancer the day after New Years (which was also his bday)....so she's a nervous wreck.
    sam81 likes this.
    06-26-15 04:40 PM
    My mom had cancer and beat it. She hummed and hawed about telling me but she settled on saying something soon after. In my opinion, 13 year old kids are stronger than we give them credit for. I'd say sit him down and have a solid grown up conversation about it. No sugar coating, just the facts. Let him know that you are still waiting on the final diagnosis and that this is a very common form of cancer that is treatable and often beat.

On a side note.... I found out, after my dad recently passed, that he had had a few "spells" and was taken to emerg. I had no idea and my initial reaction was anger as to why I wasn't told. Now this was years before he passed and they turned out to be nothing to be alarmed about but still, not knowing he was in distress hurt.

Back ot.... your child will want to know what is happening in your life, good or bad, happy or sad. It won't be an easy time for him but it will be better when the final diagnosis comes in. Either a) he'll be prepared for the worst already, or b) he'll be relieved at the positive position you are in.

Either way, it's going to suck.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-15 05:28 PM
    MB64,

Sorry to hear, I can't imagine the feelings you are going through, but do not think the worst. My father in law has prostate cancer and has been in remission if you will for many, many years. There are many treatments for this, and you will know the path to take when you know more.
    As for your son, I would tell him and let him know so he can be with you every step of the way.

Chin up my friend, we are all here for you
    bungaboy and sam81 like this.
    06-26-15 05:44 PM
    Aloha!

First, you need to realize that Prostate Cancer has a VERY high cure rate. My Father had Prostate Cancer and it was easily treated and cured. He lived a very full, healthy and happy life beyond his diagnosis. I will most likely have it within 10 years or so as it's very prevalent in my family. I live with that concern daily but it's treatable and I'm happy for that. I keep a positive outlook.

The MIND is a VERY powerful tool in your arsenal. You have to be positive and relaxed and let your body heal now, during and after your treatment. Don't let your mind dwell on negative. Control your stress as best you can. Stress lowers your immune system as you know. Keep positive. Keep active. Do something fun every day and exercise regularly. Eat well. No more candy/alcohol/tobacco or junk food if you use any of these items. They all lower the immune systems ability to fight disease.

Keep the faith!
    sam81 likes this.
    06-26-15 05:45 PM
    I thought I'd begin this thread and listen to people's insights on how they cope with living their life with cancer. Today I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. I have had a rollercoaster of emotions all day. Sadness. Defiance. Denial. Will to fight.....At first I was thinking about not telling anyone but then I told my wife I have nothing to be ashamed of....while I don't intend to broadcast it...I will tell my friends, family and continue life as normal as possible. Don't want anyone to feel sorry for me or pity me. I will find out in 2 weeks if it's considered "low risk, medium, or high" and then decide on my options at that point. So this is where you, my CB friends come in.......your input will be taken into consideration.....my wife says not to tell my 13 year old son "yet".......not to worry him.....so when would be the "right" time to tell him? I think he has a right to know like my mother and everyone else.....what do you think?
    As another poster in this thread pointed out, prostate cancer is very curable. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2008 and will celebrate my 7th year of being cancer free in September. There are a lot of treatment options and my advice is to do your research and consult with more than one doctor.

I know it is a personal choice on how to talk about this with loved ones and I will only tell you how I handled it. I was upfront with my children, who at the time ranged from early 20s to freshman in high school. I told them soon after the diagnosis what was going on and answered all of their questions. I then continued to live life in the same way. I let everyone that I was close to know that I was not going to allow cancer to take one second of my life away. Almost 7 years later, it hasn't.

Best wishes. This is a battle you can and will win!
    sam81 likes this.
    06-26-15 06:04 PM
    I knew I could count on the CB nation to bring my spirits back up and enlighten me and give me some perspective from your experiences in and personal dealings with this disease. Much thanks to all of you.
    06-26-15 06:10 PM
    MB64,

Please keep faith in the higher power.
    Do message me even if you are an atheist. I can give you pointers to some spiritual discourses that is religion agnostic.

pin:2BEBAD78

Posted via CB10
    sam81 likes this.
    06-26-15 06:12 PM
    MB64,

Do message me even if you are an atheist. I can give you pointers to some spiritual discourses that is religion agnostic.

Posted via CB10
    I have a busy weekend coming up with my son playing baseball and yes I will go to his game and cheer him on...I will definitely hit you up later in the week....thank you.
    sam81 likes this.
    06-26-15 06:15 PM
    MB64,

Posted via CB10
    I sent u an invite before I forget. Just to keep u in my contacts for now.
    sam81 likes this.
    06-26-15 06:16 PM
    Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, got mine 5 years ago. It is a real shocker, cannot express all the different emotions, spent the first month taking it out on a golf ball every day, walking the course, not riding. Told the doctors to hurry up as I had selected brachytherapy (seeds) and didn't want to be laid up. One month after diagnosis had the seeds put in, about an hour procedure, home around noon, catheter over night. That was it, next day we went to the fair and rodeo that night, no recovery time or further treatments. Only problem was crossing the Canadian border 2 - 3 times a week for the next 3 1/2 months as I would set their alarms off. Had my yearly checkup yesterday, PSA is like .02 which they said is nonexistent, see you next year. Good luck, my thoughts are with you.
    06-26-15 06:37 PM
    My grandma is a breast cancer survivor... I remember I was 12 when my mother told us of her diagnoses... I remember crying and being scared at 1st, having a lot of questions... But I also remember attending family oriented support groups and visiting my grandmother (who is like my second mother to me) during her treatments and throughout her surgeries. She is now 15+years in remission... A survivor... Being included provided so much life experience for me. A support network composed of loved ones. Being able to share the feelings and emotions as a family, together was the best coping mechanism I think any of us had at that time... I wouldn't hide it or conceal it from your child, nor put it off... Include him... I understand where your wife is coming from, that urge to protect and shield, but he is 13 and probably has already begun to pick up on the signs and cues that something is amiss. The vibe. Children are exceptionally perceptive... The unknown ultimately tends to be more scary for them vs being given the reality in a forward manner... He will understand far more than you think he will once he absorbs what is told and realizes that the fight isn't over, but just beginning... And really, who better to have in your corner than him? I'm thinking he would want to be there from the beginning, as I know I did for my grandmother... Have that reminder of exactly what you're fighting for present and included throughout your journey back to total wellness...

My thoughts with you and your family. The hardest part of winning your battle is THIS moment... Telling those you love... Once you breach this hurdle, the finish line will appear closer than it seems now... You've got this

Posted via CB10
    Coachbulldog, sam81 and moody like this.
    06-26-15 08:21 PM
    MB, I'm so sorry to hear that. Stay strong. <3

Posted via CB10
    06-26-15 08:33 PM
    MB64.

"Touch wood" I am a survivor. I had a fairly high Gleason score. Underwent radiation therapy and was on hormones for 2 years or so.

Almost 4 years have passed now. Things will work out, today`s technology is amazing!

Stand Sure!
    sam81, Coachbulldog and moody like this.
    06-26-15 08:45 PM
    MB, I am sorry to hear about your situation. I have a history of prostate cancer in my family and have kept an eye on my raising PSA levels for a few yrs now. I suffer many symptoms you mentioned the other day in the other thread so my concerns will always be there also. It is very curable, especially if caught early enough. Many men also live with prostate cancer for yrs with little problems (exceptions being the peeing issues of course) so there is always hope for a good outcome. As far as your family, and I have thought about this before myself, I would wait until you know all there is to know your situation. Stage, treatment, etc so you can answer all the questions that will likely come at you when you tell them. I wish you all the best my friend.
    06-26-15 08:58 PM
    My wife and I have been reading all of your stories and have bought a sense of reassurance and hope to the both of us. Knowing that we are not alone in our battle and that there is hope and treatment out there. And as for my son....I will let him enjoy his baseball tournament this weekend and have a talk with him on Monday. You guys have truly made this a memorable evening for both of us.
    06-26-15 09:01 PM
    I'll keep you and your family in my prayers. As will I'm sure, the rest of your CB family.
    sam81 and Coachbulldog like this.
    06-26-15 09:09 PM
    Being diagnosed with the disease is the same as any other hard to treat heart illness for example. It may feel like a timed bomb to you, but if you find the right expert they'll be happy to unwire it for you.
    Point is, unwired or not, make sure you don't waste a second of your life feeling sorry for yourself. Fill it with love and good times with family and friends.
    Keep us updated.

Posted via CB10
    sam81 likes this.
    06-27-15 07:04 AM
    Being diagnosed with the disease is the same as any other hard to treat heart illness for example. It may feel like a timed bomb to you, but if you find the right expert they'll be happy to unwire it for you.
    Point is, unwired or not, make sure you don't waste a second of your life feeling sorry for yourself. Fill it with love and good times with family and friends.
    Keep us updated.

Posted via CB10
    I will definitely keep you all updated. That was the purpose of this thread. And once again, I want to thank you all for the outpouring you have shown since yesterday and those that have PM'd me as well. Today I am enjoying a hot and humid day with the family in Clearwater Florida at my sons baseball tournament. As stated, I will not ruin his weekend. But most likely on Monday I will have a talk with him and I may even let him read this thread.my wife has decided for me ( yes, she make my decisions) that I will NOT have surgery to have my prostrate removed as the 2 options so far given to me were either treatment or the removal of it. Too much to endure and contemplate while sitting in the doctors office. I guess also that the results of the "low, medium and high" risk" factor will come into play once I go in for those results in several weeks. I will post details of my conversation with my son, his reactions, etc....and establish some sort of journal of my ordeals, my feelings, and hopefully through this others can find solace and comfort (myself include) knowing that others have traveled this same road. And have a venue which they can express their feelings and vent. Thank You CB Nation!!!
    sam81 likes this.
    06-27-15 07:36 AM
    Threads like these are the reason CB is home.

MB, you're in our prayers. You're strength inspires me, and I firmly believe we'll be on the other side of this soon, making jokes as you recover.
    sam81 likes this.
    06-27-15 08:39 AM
    Seeing my son just make a diving catch out in center field and then looking towards me when the inning was over with a big grin on his face for approval makes me want to fight on. That was priceless. Moments like that is what I want to live for and cherish the most . If he only knew......
    06-27-15 10:12 AM
    I too am a cancer survivor! I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins B Cell lymphoma of which is the rarest of all the blood cancers. I've gone through extensive chemo and a bone marrow transplant.

Your question is a difficult one but depending really how old your son is to tell him or not. Make sure he is emotionally mature so he can understand the implications of having cancer. For me I chose to not tell as I didn't want my friends family to be stricken with the emotional burden.

Posted via CB10
    sam81 likes this.
    06-27-15 10:22 AM
137 123 ...