I've tried getting a few on Linux. The issue is they all want things in messengers etc.
    Who needs messengers beside BBM?

My girl has a Linux laptop for fun and a Windows 8.1 laptop for work (because of some special software). Whenever she changes to Windows she says "Everything is so damned slow ..."
    01-30-15 07:06 AM
    Who needs messengers beside BBM?

My girl has a Linux laptop for fun and a Windows 8.1 laptop for work (because of some special software). Whenever she changes to Windows she says "Everything is so damned slow ..."
    Everyone who does not have a bb or even a smart phone. BBM isn't the be all end all for everyone. Does everyone you know own a smartphone and that phone is a bb? Well most of my older family and a lot of my friends have dumb phones and could care less about having a smartphone and if they did/do it's an android. They do however have computers.
    shaleem likes this.
    01-30-15 07:15 AM
    And YaST is one of the major reasons why I don't use openSUSE anymore.
    Why?
    01-31-15 10:56 AM
    Why?
    YaST is crap, kitty. It's not reliable. Or has been, I don't know, perhaps they did something since then. YaST couldn't even properly update the software packages installed by himself. Two times I got a major disorder on my disk just by YaST's software updates - updated lib32 files overwrote files in the lib64 folder and such things, I had to fix this by hand using the rescue options on the install media. I left openSUSE after many years disappointed and annoyed. Be happy if you never had problems with this.
    02-01-15 03:40 AM
    YaST is crap, kitty. It's not reliable. Or has been, I don't know, perhaps they did something since then. YaST couldn't even properly update the software packages installed by himself. Two times I got a major disorder on my disk just by YaST's software updates - updated lib32 files overwrote files in the lib64 folder and such things, I had to fix this by hand using the rescue options on the install media. I left openSUSE after many years disappointed and annoyed. Be happy if you never had problems with this.
    I know YaST from the earlier days, way over 10 years ago. Had SuSE as my main OS, but just a few late updates, a few rarer applications installed or - left alone manually installed .rpms - and you were in the dreaded "dependency hell"...

Half an hour later, still manually trying to resolve package dependency issues, and you're ready to nuke and reinstall ... it was pretty hopeless.

Then, Debian and - Ubuntu - come along and apt-get does it all like a miracle worker. Never had a drama again, unless I did something really stupid... :-)

(some 'sudo do-release-upgrade's failed because I had abandoned PPAs and some other mouldy package sources enabled while upgrading)

�   Telstra + Classic, Optus + PP, AT&T + PP , Verizon + Classic... why the mix, Mr. Fix?   �
    02-01-15 05:05 AM
    Started trying out Manjaro Linux beta. It's an impressive Arch based entry level distro. Probably the best Arch derivative I've tried. Won't replace my current Arch/DWM setup but maybe in the future it might. Certainly I'll recommend it to anyone looking to try out an alternative to the big distros or their derivatives.

Posted via CB10
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    02-12-15 11:21 AM
    Started trying out Manjaro Linux beta. It's an impressive Arch based entry level distro. Probably the best Arch derivative I've tried. Won't replace my current Arch/DWM setup but maybe in the future it might. Certainly I'll recommend it to anyone looking to try out an alternative to the big distros or their derivatives.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for sharing... :-)

�   Telstra + Classic, Optus + PP, AT&T + PP , Verizon + Classic... why the mix, Mr. Fix?   �
    02-12-15 05:03 PM
    Using Fedora Linux here, and have been for quite some time. (I've used many distros over the years, of course, starting way back in the pre-Slackware days.)

One thing I love about BlackBerry 10 is that the developer tools are *far* more Linux-friendly than the BBOS dev tools ever were.

Of course there are still things that unfortunately require Windows of MacOSX... (autoloaders, desktop software, Blend, etc.)
    But I'm not really a purist, and tend to use a little of everything. My "desktop" rig is a Linux (general desktop) and a Windows (mostly games and things that need it) box on a KVM. I also tend to prefer Mac laptops, so I have one of those.
    02-15-15 10:52 PM
    I am new to Linux with Ubuntu!

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 01:40 AM
    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS because I don't like the Unity interface. Lol
    03-15-15 11:16 AM
    I got issues whatever version of Linux I try, doesn't opt to my monitors native resolution! Rather picks a very low one! And virtual console doesn't work

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 10:07 AM
    I got issues whatever version of Linux I try, doesn't opt to my monitors native resolution! Rather picks a very low one! And virtual console doesn't work

Posted via CB10
    That's strange. Ubuntu has always adapted to my monitors.
    03-18-15 01:23 PM
    That's strange. Ubuntu has always adapted to my monitors.
    Lucky! I really wanted to try working with the source code

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 03:20 AM
    I'm using Ubuntu dual booted with WIN7PRO on a laptop.

I like the user-friendliness of the latest release. I'm surprised by a couple things though:

Thing 1: It's very resource-intensive. I've found it doesn't play nice on even a PIII with 2GB RAM. I didn't play extensively to try to optimize.

Thing 2: It's got drivers for EVERYTHING! Well, that may be an exaggeration, but all of my hardware works - even the laptop's touchscreen i/f!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-19-15 03:36 PM
    I'm using Ubuntu dual booted with WIN7PRO on a laptop.

I like the user-friendliness of the latest release. I'm surprised by a couple things though:

Thing 1: It's very resource-intensive. I've found it doesn't play nice on even a PIII with 2GB RAM. I didn't play extensively to try to optimize.

Thing 2: It's got drivers for EVERYTHING! Well, that may be an exaggeration, but all of my hardware works - even the laptop's touchscreen i/f!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Yet my monitor doesn't get recognised

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 11:59 PM
    Try hooking it up with an analog monitor cable if it isn't already.
    03-21-15 01:10 AM

Posted via CB10
    Many monitors have broken EDID support.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 05:59 PM
    I use Xubuntu... to bad it doesn't work with BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 01:11 PM
    debian with xfce

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 05:05 PM
    OpenBSD with LuminaDE.. and for why http://www.openbsd.org/goals.html

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 04:43 AM
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, took the safety route to linux land. Maybe next time I'll try out Arch Linux.
    11-25-15 08:32 AM
    Used Gentoo before and sometimes still, mostly some debian based distributions at work and at home.
    Primary Device is a Chromebook with crouton, which got some of the latest ubuntu' installed in a chroot - Makes it possible to run a full Ubuntu XFCE Desktop parallel to ChromeOS <3

//edit: wow this thread is very old - dunno why it was shown to me on the frontpage -.-
    06-21-17 05:26 AM
    Lubuntu 16.04. Ubuntu just seems to be able to deal with all hardware and I prefer a light version, hence Lubuntu.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-17 04:18 PM
    OpenSUSE tumbleweed.

Just because of the patch they have in the firefox file picker.
    06-29-17 07:10 AM
    Currently using cublinux(seems to have gone AWOL) but debian has always been a staple in my computer collection. I used to try practically every variant availible for public download. Ubuntu lost me at UNITY, but GNOME is making a comeback

Posted with my good ol reliable classic
    08-06-17 07:20 PM
103 ... 2345