Hey!
    First of all I have to say that I love linux and I'm so depressed that I can't really have the same abilities with blackberry as when I'm with windows. And that's the main reason that I actually still have Windows beside Linux.
    So,
    I'm using elementary OS cause it's easily the most beautiful most minimalistic and most sexy distro and in real OS out there. Based on Ubuntu so it's really easy of use.
    What's yours?

BlackBerry z30 FTW
    11-18-14 01:39 PM
    Linux is a great OS. I was really hoping it would take off a little better. But a lot of software I use is windows only.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 01:41 PM
    I use ArchLinux it is very good and fast, the fastest I know

I wish to have BlackBerry Link and BlackBerry Blend for Linux, it is the missing stone...

Best regards - ArchGalileu - Q10SQN100-3/10.3.1.1151
    11-18-14 01:44 PM
    On my laptop I have a Windows 8.1/Debian testing dual boot. All the familiarity of *buntu/Mint without all of the "user-friendliness" sacrifices.

Posted via CB10
    pokusko likes this.
    11-18-14 01:46 PM
    I use ArchLinux it is very good and fast, the fastest I know

I wish to have BlackBerry Link and BlackBerry Blend for Linux, it is the missing stone...

Best regards - ArchGalileu - Q10SQN100-3/10.3.1.1151
    True! The link I can somehow leave it since I can sync my device with other ways too, but if blend be available for Linux then I could say finally, goodbye windows

BlackBerry z30 FTW
    11-18-14 01:53 PM
    Linux is a great OS. I was really hoping it would take off a little better. But a lot of software I use is windows only.

Posted via CB10
    You can always find alternatives unless it's something that you can't really replace. I'm a photographer and always depending on adobe's products. Step-by-step I started using some alternative for linux photo software and now all my work flow is on Linux.

BlackBerry z30 FTW
    pokusko likes this.
    11-18-14 01:55 PM
    Considering myself tech inclined, I decided last year it was finally time to branch out into Linux a bit more. At first I felt incredibly stupid not being able to get basic functions to work, but after a rather small learning curve, I could start to see the power of a Linux OS.

I started out with, and am currently on, a Linux Mint (Cinnamon) OS. While I know there are some more power versions of the OS, as well as other Linux flavours, I couldn't help but feel very at home with Mint. I've started to really get into customizing the OS the way I see fit and filling in any holes I might consider insecure.

As an experiment, I took my parents' PC which had XP on it, installed Mint 17 and skinned the entire OS (icons, wallpaper, colouring, etc) with Windows oriented looking things and they could not even tell the difference at first! What can I say, replacing the Firefox icon with an IE icon was a bit cheeky, but it worked!

All in all, I think with the user friendliness of many Linux based OSes, in addition to a Ubuntu releasing a smartphone with partners using their distro, Linux might finally be accepted into the mainstream not only by tech and power users, but the average home user alike.
    anon(4275744) likes this.
    11-18-14 03:27 PM
    Considering myself tech inclined, I decided last year it was finally time to branch out into Linux a bit more. At first I felt incredibly stupid not being able to get basic functions to work, but after a rather small learning curve, I could start to see the power of a Linux OS.

I started out with, and am currently on, a Linux Mint (Cinnamon) OS. While I know there are some more power versions of the OS, as well as other Linux flavours, I couldn't help but feel very at home with Mint. I've started to really get into customizing the OS the way I see fit and filling in any holes I might consider insecure.

As an experiment, I took my parents' PC which had XP on it, installed Mint 17 and skinned the entire OS (icons, wallpaper, colouring, etc) with Windows oriented looking things and they could not even tell the difference at first! What can I say, replacing the Firefox icon with an IE icon was a bit cheeky, but it worked!

All in all, I think with the user friendliness of many Linux based OSes, in addition to a Ubuntu releasing a smartphone with partners using their distro, Linux might finally be accepted into the mainstream not only by tech and power users, but the average home user alike.
    I don't really believe that linux are close to be mainstream and anyway I don't think it's good to be mainstream. The only thing I would love to see is some killer software make its appearance soon or late. Just one. After it's a matter of time that developers will port windows software for linux.
    Any distro you choose is faster than windows or mac OS. Everything is so different but at the same time so friendly and so "sexy". We need just little bit more attention from big name developers. That's all. Oh and link/blend version for linux

BlackBerry z30 FTW
    11-19-14 01:24 AM
    Ubuntu > SUSE > Mint and now I don't have a PC at all :/
    11-19-14 01:28 AM
    Ubuntu > SUSE > Mint and now I don't have a PC at all :/
    Why man?

BlackBerry z30 FTW
    11-19-14 01:56 AM
    Here you can see 100 powerful alternatives software that you're using on windows http://mobile.datamation.com/applica...cations-1.html

BlackBerry z30 FTW
    menshawy and pokusko like this.
    11-19-14 02:14 AM
    I use lubuntu, my compaq is so old that windows 7 is slow on it.

And it works well on it. Almost flawlessly

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 02:14 AM
    Anyone knows ways of connecting our blackberry devices in a linux OS?

BlackBerry z30 FTW
    11-19-14 02:41 AM
    I don't really believe that linux are close to be mainstream and anyway I don't think it's good to be mainstream. The only thing I would love to see is some killer software make its appearance soon or late. Just one. After it's a matter of time that developers will port windows software for linux.
    Any distro you choose is faster than windows or mac OS. Everything is so different but at the same time so friendly and so "sexy". We need just little bit more attention from big name developers. That's all. Oh and link/blend version for linux

BlackBerry z30 FTW
    I don't think they are near mainstream status yet, but they certainly are being put in the limelight a great deal more today than say, 5-10 years ago. The number of people who I talk to, average computer users no less, are actually aware of that "other" OS when they talk about computers with me. It gives me a great deal of excitement when I hear that.

I don't think being mainstream is of any detriment. If anything, I can only see positive outcomes from that. Linux will always remain open source, so I do not see any corporate pressure to change the fundamentals of any Linux release. Even if some influence did happen, we would probably see a fork of that flavour pop up sooner rather than later, clean of any superfluous code.

I think the more people we see on Linux distributions the more likely of a chance you'll get your wish of that killer software. More market share=greater audience developers need to tend to.

Suffice to say, I think we can all agree in this thread that Linux is an excellent alternative to the proprietary software we see from other vendors.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 02:59 AM
    I don't think they are near mainstream status yet, but they certainly are being put in the limelight a great deal more today than say, 5-10 years ago. The number of people who I talk to, average computer users no less, are actually aware of that "other" OS when they talk about computers with me. It gives me a great deal of excitement when I hear that.

I don't think being mainstream is of any detriment. If anything, I can only see positive outcomes from that. Linux will always remain open source, so I do not see any corporate pressure to change the fundamentals of any Linux release. Even if some influence did happen, we would probably see a fork of that flavour pop up sooner rather than later, clean of any superfluous code.

I think the more people we see on Linux distributions the more likely of a chance you'll get your wish of that killer software. More market share=greater audience developers need to tend to.

Suffice to say, I think we can all agree in this thread that Linux is an excellent alternative to the proprietary software we see from other vendors.

Posted via CB10
    Totally agree with all the things you wrote but I believe that " excellent alternative to the proprietary software" is not so correct. I want to see linux not as an alternative to windows or Mac OS but as an OS like the other 2 and anyway in many many topics linux are doing much better work than other OSs. I believe that people are getting used to something and they just don't want to try something new but at the same time powerful as any other software. For example same like BlackBerry. Cheers

BlackBerry z30 FTW
    11-19-14 03:09 AM
    +1 ArchLinux

Simple, fast, lean, always very actual and over all: independent from big companies.
    11-19-14 03:20 AM
    PC died and I had no need for PC because I'm not gaming anymore, thanks to my wife lol, and my Z10 made me survive PC's absence
    11-19-14 03:42 AM
    Totally agree with all the things you wrote but I believe that " excellent alternative to the proprietary software" is not so correct. I want to see linux not as an alternative to windows or Mac OS but as an OS like the other 2 and anyway in many many topics linux are doing much better work than other OSs. I believe that people are getting used to something and they just don't want to try something new but at the same time powerful as any other software. For example same like BlackBerry. Cheers

BlackBerry z30 FTW
    Essentially, that is what I was getting at when I said "alternative", darn semantics haha. Alternative in the sense that it becomes a viable choice to the big 2, without any of the sacrifices people assume (erroneously) you must make. I think one day we just may get there! The smoothness of many Linux installs these days makes it a no brainer for some.

As for me, I am going to try out a few different Linux distributions this weekend to see if anything piques my interest!

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 03:46 AM
    Essentially, that is what I was getting at when I said "alternative", darn semantics haha. Alternative in the sense that it becomes a viable choice to the big 2, without any of the sacrifices people assume (erroneously) you must make. I think one day we just may get there! The smoothness of many Linux installs these days makes it a no brainer for some.

As for me, I am going to try out a few different Linux distributions this weekend to see if anything piques my interest!

Posted via CB10
    That's nice. You can write what you think here after you test it. Have you ever try elementary OS?

BlackBerry z30 FTW
    11-19-14 04:38 AM
    That's nice. You can write what you think here after you test it. Have you ever try elementary OS?

BlackBerry z30 FTW
    I can honestly say that I have not as of yet. I am giving their website a gander right now and I like what I see. What particular advantages does elementary OS have over other Linux flavours?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 11:43 AM
    I can honestly say that I have not as of yet. I am giving their website a gander right now and I like what I see. What particular advantages does elementary OS have over other Linux flavours?

Posted via CB10
    Basically it's simplicity. I love the look really much -not cause it looks like a mac- they are really trying to do something different. I think the best advantage is the fact that it's extremely fast compared with other Distros. An other cool thing is pantheon. They design it it's it's simply fast and beautiful.
    I consider the absence of desktop icons a big plus, and in time I have gotten used to it. The Wingpanel ? the Linux equivalent of the Windows task bar + system tray ? is handy, yet discreet and clutterfree. The Mac-like dock is sufficient to keep your frequently used apps ready for use. I liked the look and feel of Windows 8, and had no major complaints about its interface, but now that I have used Luna, I find Windows lacklustre.
    The File Explorer is well planned, and its visual hierarchy makes it easy to find files and folders. The team behind this is really trying for the best! I even donated.

If you install it will be pleasure for me to help you change and make some tricks in order to take full charge of this OS. I could give you some links in order to do some first things after installing Luna.

PS. I have convinced 6 friends till now to abandon windows and run only elementary OS

www.ctsilart.com
    11-19-14 11:56 AM
    Basically it's simplicity. I love the look really much -not cause it looks like a mac- they are really trying to do something different. I think the best advantage is the fact that it's extremely fast compared with other Distros. An other cool thing is pantheon. They design it it's it's simply fast and beautiful.
    I consider the absence of desktop icons a big plus, and in time I have gotten used to it. The Wingpanel ? the Linux equivalent of the Windows task bar + system tray ? is handy, yet discreet and clutterfree. The Mac-like dock is sufficient to keep your frequently used apps ready for use. I liked the look and feel of Windows 8, and had no major complaints about its interface, but now that I have used Luna, I find Windows lacklustre.
    The File Explorer is well planned, and its visual hierarchy makes it easy to find files and folders. The team behind this is really trying for the best! I even donated.

If you install it will be pleasure for me to help you change and make some tricks in order to take full charge of this OS. I could give you some links in order to do some first things after installing Luna.

PS. I have convinced 6 friends till now to abandon windows and run only elementary OS

www.ctsilart.com
    I am definitely intrigued now. I am surely going to add this to my 'to try' list for this week. I'll be loading up universal USB installer this weekend with elementary on it. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll be sure to let you know if I need a hand.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 01:37 PM
    I am definitely intrigued now. I am surely going to add this to my 'to try' list for this week. I'll be loading up universal USB installer this weekend with elementary on it. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll be sure to let you know if I need a hand.

Posted via CB10
    Cool! looking forward for your review

www.ctsilart.com
    11-19-14 02:09 PM
    run only elementary OS
    First, elementary is derived from Ubuntu. Most of the things you say come from Ubuntu, especially what you call "simplicity", I would call it "hiding the difficult things from the user who is surely not interested in all that".
    I consider the absence of desktop icons a big plus, and in time I have gotten used to it.
    My opinion is that the best window manager or desktop or surface (or however you name it) is one you can't even see. I hate environments you must operate, providing you bars and docks and icons and menues and all that stuff. The summit of this developement was the start of Gnome 3 with it's Gnome shell. I don't use a computer to run such environments - I want to do my tasks! And I just don't want to waste my time with questions like how to start a program? or how to change a window size? or where is my icon? A desktop's user interface must be very clean, quiet and productive. I use Xmonad for that, a tiling window manager, for many years now and I never tried to change it.
    11-20-14 01:40 AM
    First, elementary is derived from Ubuntu. Most of the things you say come from Ubuntu, especially what you call "simplicity", I would call it "hiding the difficult things from the user who is surely not interested in all that". My opinion is that the best window manager or desktop or surface (or however you name it) is one you can't even see. I hate environments you must operate, providing you bars and docks and icons and menues and all that stuff. The summit of this developement was the start of Gnome 3 with it's Gnome shell. I don't use a computer to run such environments - I want to do my tasks! And I just don't want to waste my time with questions like how to start a program? or how to change a window size? or where is my icon? A desktop's user interface must be very clean, quiet and productive. I use Xmonad for that, a tiling window manager, for many years now and I never tried to change it.
    You're right with the things you said. But anyway everyone we are using the things that we like more. For elementary is something that I love exploring and tricking and searching for stuff. In that way I feel like I'm communicating more with my system. Yeah I could do that with any distro and it's Ubuntu you're right. I just love the way this team is presenting this flavor and I love the beauty of this distro. Since I can do anything that I could do with Ubuntu and elementary looks miles more beautiful and clean for me I prefer this distro cheers
    www.ctsilart.com
    11-20-14 02:03 AM
103 123 ...