I live in Newmarket Ontario & I'm just waiting for delivery of a new laptop. Wondering what's the least expensive ( to start & on a monthly basis) way to get a reliable internet connectionat home?
    Land line
    WiFi
    Stick?
    Any suggestions, examples are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-10 10:15 PM
    That would depend on how much you plan to use the net. So, how much do you plan to be online? Do you use a lot of social networking sites? Etc.

11-21-10 11:15 PM
    Dialup will be the cheapest option but also the slowest, unless you have free WiFi available where you live.
    11-22-10 09:39 AM
    first, see if you can pirate off someone's wireless network. or you may be lucky to live in an area where wifi is the shiznit.
    11-22-10 10:09 AM
    Highjakkers way is the least expensive, unless that turns out to be a crime and you get busted for it (and I think it is a crime).
    If you're going to use very little data and don't need a constant connection, check out tether, tetherbridge, pdanet, and the upcoming fixmotether.

11-22-10 10:23 AM
    Do you live near a Starbuck's?
    11-22-10 11:22 AM
    Do you live near a Starbuck's?

Not really & I'd go broke eating there, free WiFi or not.HaHaHa

11-22-10 09:30 PM
    That would depend on how much you plan to use the net. So, how much do you plan to be online? Do you use a lot of social networking sites? Etc.

I'm on my Curve a lot. So yes I'd be online fairly heavily.

11-22-10 09:33 PM
    Dialup will be the cheapest option but also the slowest, unless you have free WiFi available where you live.
    I'm going to call Rogers & Bell & compare pricesn dialup & wifi m Thanks for the reminder

11-22-10 09:35 PM
    first, see if you can pirate off someone's wireless network. or you may be lucky to live in an area where wifi is the shiznit.
    I don't know any of my neighbours, so no piggybacking & No free wifi sites near me. I don't mind paying, I just don't want to have to take out a second mortgage to use a computer.

11-22-10 09:40 PM
    Highjakkers way is the least expensive, unless that turns out to be a crime and you get busted for it (and I think it is a crime).
    If you're going to use very little data and don't need a constant connection, check out tether, tetherbridge, pdanet, and the upcoming fixmotether.

Thanks
    This info looks promising, depending on what you mean by "very little
    Data usage". I'll check out these sites. Thanks

11-22-10 09:44 PM
    Generally when tethering it's recommended you stay under 5gb a month.

11-22-10 09:45 PM
    Generally when tethering it's recommended you stay under 5gb a month.

I guess that's manageable, what happens if more is used?

11-22-10 09:59 PM
    Nothing, unless your carrier finds out you're tethering and tries to charge you $.03 per kb or whatever they charge for tethering. And remember, a gb is a lot of kbs.

11-22-10 10:01 PM
    wifi does all
    11-22-10 10:12 PM
    I would recommend using something like either a landline based adsl or Something like Bell internet portable (Rogers as well) they usually have in-store deals for them. See what you can find but you would need to know how optimal is your options. I usually don't recommend tethering on Bell cause they have caught so many people so many times and its not worth it.

If they caught you on tethering and you have a plan where tethering isn't included 1GB of data on tethering is a cost of upwards of $30,000. Not worth man.

Wifi best option out of all
    11-22-10 11:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD