Hey i'm heading to college next year and I'm just swamped with all the different options I have when it comes to laptops, so I thought to myself why not ask the users of CB? I'm might major in music, so I will need something with maybe a little more processing power to be able to run some music editing programs. I don't want this to turn into a Mac vs. anything else debate, I'm just looking for some suggestions. Budget wise I've considered the Macbook so really anything up to $1,500 is fair game. Thank you in advanced for all your input and advice.
    02-03-09 06:15 PM
    If you are doing music then a Mac would probably be your best bet.

I would also suggest that you contact whatever University you plan to attend and ask them as well. You may find that some classes require some programs that may not be available for Mac, although I doubt it.
    02-03-09 06:18 PM
    Got get yourself one of the new Macbooks. They have amazing processors, and really awesome software suites to suit your musical needs. As well as being able to do everything that Windows can do, because you can usually find Windows programs to run on a mac, or run bootcamp to run xp on the mac.

If money isn't a huge factor, go one step up and get a Macbook Pro.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-09 10:33 PM
    IMAO (as one who has bought about 6 laptops in a decade or so... )

Macs are way overpriced. Sorry. I think they are great machines, don't get me wrong, but you can buy TWO of many other "lesser" laptops that aren't functionally different for what you pay for one mac. I have a Dell from 1999 that still runs fine.

I guess what I'm saying is that a decent Toshiba (for example) at a place that gives you the bumber to bumper warranty will get you something that works fine for around $1000 (warranty included).

That said, I want a mac.. so I can put Vista Business on it.
    02-03-09 11:23 PM
    Mac.........simply put. You will get a great machine and NEVER worry about getting a virus!

02-06-09 06:05 AM
    Mac.........simply put. You will get a great machine and NEVER worry about getting a virus!

Or not...

Apple tells Mac users: Get anti-virus • The Register
    02-06-09 08:54 AM
    Does the U. require a specific machine? Many make you purchase from to be compatible with their network, etc.
    02-06-09 10:29 AM
    I would suggest a Macbook as well. Just got mine a couple months ago and it rocks
    And it's wonderful for music.
    02-06-09 11:23 AM
    it is up to you
    02-06-09 12:04 PM

That's a VERY rash statement... NO operating system is immune to viruses and whatnot.

Back on topic, for music, definitely a Mac I'd say.
    03-20-09 08:20 AM
    A pc can perform just as well as a mac, people are just unaware to that. Essentially macs are for people who are not computer-able, pcs for those a little more able, and finally linux (different distributions) are for those ABLE.

If you want an easy quick-fix for music, then yes, mac is up. You'll pay an extra buck and get no better hardware specs, but hey, it would be 'easy'. If you want to save your pennies (or get a FAR superior laptop for the same price), get a pc. Focus your research on battery life, and decide on a screen size.

Don't just listen to all the useless comments of 'buy a mac', research yourself and see what WILL work best for you.
    03-20-09 08:35 AM
    Way too much Mac loving in this thread. Not saying they are bad....I've just never liked them.

Honestly just look at what is inside the machines...
    You're going to want a decent amount of memory if you're going to be running several programs. Since you are willing to spend on the higher end I would suggest 4 gigs. There are plenty of machines that come with 4 gigs now, especially since they are running Vista. Right now Intel processors are the way to go, and the Core 2 Duo's are great. For example this Toshiba:

Newegg.com - TOSHIBA Qosmio X305-Q711 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P8600(2.40GHz) 17.0" Wide XGA+ 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9700M GTS - Laptops / Notebooks

Not bad at all...the processor is 2.40GHZ...faster than my desktop's processor. And you get a huge 320Gig hard drive for all your music files. It has an Nvidia GeForce 9 series card. I've always been a fan of Nvidia.

Honestly these days there are so many good machines out there for your money. Head to a best buy and play with the ones that are set up..check out what they have inside them..and make your decision. (newegg.com has good deals usually though =P)

Or you could even hold out a little longer and see if Windows 7 gets released by the time you are off to school. =P I'm using the Beta and it is slick.
    03-20-09 08:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD