I was just wondering how many have let their kids get a BB. At what age did they get their first BB? I have 3 kids age 14,12 and 8. They all have cell phones but I am the only one with a BB at the moment

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-08 02:09 AM
    I would not spent more then a $100 on a cell phone for my kid. Plus the cell phone plan must not be too much each month. Right now my oldest is 6 so I don't have to worry for a year or so. Lol

06-01-08 02:15 AM
    Personally I don't think Blackberries are for kids. I don't think there's enough justification for a child or teen having one. There are plenty of other appropriate phones for kids and teens.

I would say that if you have a teen who is at least 16 and has a part time job, and they want one, have them spend their own money on one and pay for the service.
    06-01-08 05:14 AM
    I agree 100%. I have seen a few teens on the site and was just wondering

06-01-08 05:47 AM
    I think 15 or older( HS age) if they can work and pay if only the extra cost for data. Most high school age children work now a days anyway.

But what also comes along with that is the individual child. Some kids are just less responsible and will break phones more often so for them it would make more sense to get them the phone that comes free with the contract.

06-01-08 07:54 AM
    I love my berry and use it for school. I think bb's are good for people my age. Ever since I got my bb, I have never missed a due date and the web keeps me alive in Earth Sicence and Spanish

06-01-08 08:06 AM
    So, my first question is, you say you've got kids 3,8,12 and 14, and they've ALL got cellphones ?? How's your 3-year old do with text messaging and 911 calls?

Anyway, along about the college years is probably the time to start considering a berry. For kids to really appreciate a BlackBerry (or other PDA for that matter) they need to understand the joy of texting in T9 for a few years. Then they will truly appreciate qwerty.

But I think most kids will lean toward an iPhone because it is far more suited for the web access and picture sharing that the kids will want. It will do what they want for email -- they don't care about enterprise access and calendar sync.

But as I learned, cell phones in teenager's hands have a very short life expectancy, so there's no way I'd be putting a berry or an iPhone there. An oops -- "I dove in swimming with it in my pocket" here, a "sorry I lost it" there, and an occasional "I put it in my back pocket and accidentally sat on it" story and you'll quickly be glad it wasn't a request for a $500 replacement.
    06-01-08 08:10 AM
    So, my first question is, you say you've got kids 3,8,12 and 14, and they've ALL got cellphones ?? How's your 3-year old do with text messaging and 911 calls?

Anyway, along about the college years is probably the time to start considering a berry. For kids to really appreciate a BlackBerry (or other PDA for that matter) they need to understand the joy of texting in T9 for a few years. Then they will truly appreciate qwerty.

But I think most kids will lean toward an iPhone because it is far more suited for the web access and picture sharing that the kids will want. It will do what they want for email -- they don't care about enterprise access and calendar sync.

But as I learned, cell phones in teenager's hands have a very short life expectancy, so there's no way I'd be putting a berry or an iPhone there. An oops -- "I dove in swimming with it in my pocket" here, a "sorry I lost it" there, and an occasional "I put it in my back pocket and accidentally sat on it" story and you'll quickly be glad it wasn't a request for a $500 replacement.
    ok4a56 said he HAS 3 kids!
    Last edited by Click; 06-01-08 at 08:33 AM.
    06-01-08 08:31 AM
    I'm thinking when the child is responsible enough to handle it, probably 15 + with a job to help foot the bill. My 12 year old has had his "free " phone go missing twice in the 2 weeks he's had it. It really depends on the kid but under High School age its just a toy.

06-01-08 08:39 AM
    My son is almost 20 and has no interest in a BB. My daughter just turned 15 and likes to text but she has no problem using a regular phone. She has a computer and does not need everything on her cell- her words on that. Her phone has a calendar and she sets reminders so no need for a BB to do that. I agree that there is really not a need in most cases until college. Of course every child is different. And of course if the child is working and responsible let them pay for what they want.

06-01-08 08:41 AM
    I love my berry and use it for school. I think bb's are good for people my age. Ever since I got my bb, I have never missed a due date and the web keeps me alive in Earth Sicence and Spanish

maybe you could get a spellcheck program for youe BB
    06-01-08 08:42 AM
    maybe you could get a spellcheck program for youe BB
    You too. LOL, I kid.
    06-01-08 08:48 AM
    Well I'm 18 and I bought my own bb. Got my first phone phone from my mother when I was like in 8th grade, some lil cheap phone that I loved with a passion. Then got some other cheap flip phone in 10th grade, then one day about a month or so ago I just felt like spending my check on a new phone. I dont really see a reason for a kid who is not in high school to have a blackberry, there are lots of phones they could use. Some little phone that can flip and take pics and record a few seconds of video is really all they would need.
    06-01-08 09:00 AM
    the spell check i intigrated more with your email on 4.5.0.3.7 it even dosn't ask youto send till your done checking
    06-01-08 09:13 AM
    Look at all the posts from adult users and see how many accidents they've had with their BB's! I think kids are too young and wouldn't appreciate all that BB has to offer.

06-01-08 09:15 AM
    "For kids to really appreciate a BlackBerry (or other PDA for that matter) they need to understand the joy of texting in T9 for a few years. Then they will truly appreciate qwerty." Oh so true..I can see it now..."When I was your age, we didn't have qwerty keyboards or t9, we had to tap tap tap just to type a single letter. you kids these days! lol. but really, an early teen surely doesnt grasp the concept of how expensive and delicate something like a blackberry (or a palm for that matter) is. My kid brother went through 8 phones from ages 15-18...i couldnt imagine what he would have been like at a younger age than that if he had them, let alone the "not so rugged" frame of a bb.
    06-01-08 09:23 AM
    Ok well i must say that i agree with many of the above posts... i purchased my first smart phone when i was in college and since then i have never looked back and have owned several however in regards to the OP i feel that if the teen/child wants a black berry and they can afford to buy it and pay for the addt data then go for it... however you would be surprised as where i live in S. Florida children 12+ are very commonly seen with BB pearls... as a matter a fact i was eating at a small restaurant on Fri replying to an email when i saw this young girl had to be about 13y/o texting back and forth on her bright red curve... so ya down here in the south florida area (Palm beach) it is normal to see the youngsters with pearls and curves...
    06-01-08 09:25 AM
    Well i'm fourteen, and many kids i know, and at my school, have bb's, my best friend has one, i have a 8310, and he has an 8320, and my friends have pearls and 8800's..but yes, the rest of the majority do use normal phones, but we "kids" use blackberries to the fullest, and we get a kick out of being inividuals with them, plus we like to turn a few heads
    06-01-08 11:42 AM
    What do you mean spell check? I can't find one misspelling in my post, but I see 2 errors in your post.

06-01-08 12:07 PM
    My two year old said "Crackberry" the other day while we were eating and I was replying to a message.

Reminder for me to put the phone down and spend some quality time with the kid during dinner.
    06-01-08 12:11 PM
    My two year old said "Crackberry" the other day while we were eating and I was replying to a message.

Reminder for me to put the phone down and spend some quality time with the kid during dinner.
    LMAO!!! you should record it next time and post it!! i would get a kick out of hearing a sound clip of a toddler saying crackberry!

IMO there are better suited phones for teenagers..I.E> Sidekick. I don't even get the full use of a BB(and i'm 24) and i originally wanted a Sidekick, but do not get tmobile service in my house...only on my porch...LOL i litterally had 0 service and had to return it I'm a student not a business person so as long as i can text and get my email i am a happy camper.
    06-01-08 12:16 PM
    What do you mean spell check? I can't find one misspelling in my post
    Sicence?

But yeah, spelling smack is weak - especially when said smack post contains errors itself...

That said, I love my Outlook settings that won't let me send a message without checking it first.

I roll with the berry sig "Please excuse any typos. This message was sent from my Crackberry and I have big thumbs."
    06-01-08 12:17 PM
    I'm a student not a business person so as long as i can text and get my email i am a happy camper.
    That's funny. The chick in the office next to me has a pearl, but doesn't have a data plan (even though my company has a BES) and doesn't use the calendar or address book.
    She just uses it for phone and texting.
    Seems you could do the same thing with a 'regular' phone. No?
    I'd get it if she said she got it for the QWERTY keyboard, but the pearl?
    06-01-08 12:20 PM

I roll with the berry sig "Please excuse any typos. This message was sent from my Crackberry and I have big thumbs."
    LMAO!!!!! That's great! I just hope people know what a crackberry is LOL!
    06-01-08 12:22 PM
    That's funny. The chick in the office next to me has a pearl, but doesn't have a data plan (even though my company has a BES) and doesn't use the calendar or address book.
    She just uses it for phone and texting.
    Seems you could do the same thing with a 'regular' phone. No?
    I'd get it if she said she got it for the QWERTY keyboard, but the pearl?
    LOL i do sync to my ICal & i have 4 emails "pushed" to the BB. I love the fact i can make my own ringtones and use em. But other than that, my mac and BB do not make it easy on me to customize the pearl...i.e. memory optimization...LOL. I like the pearl, but in the future for my use i might be happier with an IPhone. Then i could sell my IPod Touch and Pearl and have one device.
    06-01-08 12:24 PM
132 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD