About six years ago, I fell in love with a special kind of doll, Asian Ball-Jointed Dolls. And five years ago, I got my first. They're made individually from hand-poured resin in either Japan or South Korea, you custom-order their skin color, and they usually come to you bald, nude, with just a blank face. Their body parts are separate and hollow, and are strung together with elastic cord for a wide range of movement and posability. You can change their eyes, their wigs, their faces...customize them however you want. They can be little royalty, steampunks, goths, vampires, your favorite character from a movie or book, a "mini-me," or whatever you want. One doll can have a hundred different looks. Some people have one, some have 40. They're very expensive. They range anywhere from smaller than a Kelly (Barbie's baby sister) doll, to about 2 and a half feet tall. They can be human, elves, anthromorphs, aliens....

Some are gorgeous. Some are fun. Some are weird-looking. Some look like porcelain dolls.

In my time, I've owned five. One was $600, one $500, one $400, and two were $200-ish each.
    You can buy clothes and outfits, shoes, accessories, etc. Or you can make them.
    You can take sandpaper and a dremel to your doll's head and make them into something new.
    I love how unique each doll is in this hobby.
    I'm a member of a forum, Den of Angels
    If you're curious, you can poke around in the gallery and see.

These two are mine. The only two I still have.

One that I used to have:

This one used to belong to a friend of mine:

Another old one of mine:

Last old one of mine:

And there she was with someone else's doll, for the sake of size:

I'm crazy about this one, who's smaller than the little one I had:

This one, who's the size of a woman's thumb:

This one, who's around the same size as the little one:

Then there are ones like this..
    05-31-09 05:07 PM
    And like this...

And it goes on and on.

Last week, I took the female doll seen in the first picture, and dremeled open her eyes, sanded down her pointy nose, made her eye wells bigger, and sanded down her face/chin/neck for a more mature look:

05-31-09 05:07 PM
    wow, i think those are amazing!!
    05-31-09 10:26 PM
    Thanks. I adore them. I'm thrilled to have modified my own doll. I plan on selling my guys and upgrading to one of the big ones. A really nice one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 10:42 PM
    those eyes are freaking me out a bit. ha. neat, though.
    06-01-09 01:19 AM
    Hachi = the dog, or Nana?

06-01-09 01:39 AM
    Now I see what you were talking about, SK. That's a pretty impressive artistic hobby. Nice pics.

06-01-09 10:53 AM
    Those are so awesome!

06-01-09 11:12 AM
    Wow. Dolls usually scare me, but with these ones, I'm not sure if I am freaked out or impressed! They are so lifelike for dolls! Well besides the massive eyes and tiny mouths hahaha.

Over all, pretty impressed with yours (and others) talent and creativity to change these dolls and make a whole new image. I have enough of a problem with myself, every morning!

My hobby? Occasional knitting and old movies - preferably musicals or including Audrey Hepburn. I stick to the classics. And no I'm not 80. Although my friends my tell you otherwise....

06-01-09 02:42 PM
    hey SK--love your collection!! i really love the first pix in black and white (boy/girl) and the one with the blue hair! but they are all very nice! great pix!
    06-01-09 02:46 PM
    Those are so cool! I love the first ones. I have never even seen these before. I can see why you like them.

06-01-09 03:13 PM
    what an expensive hobby!
    06-01-09 09:53 PM
    awesome
    really-really beautiful
    06-12-09 07:38 PM
    That's just creepy... The movie dead silence came to mind...

Ill stick to indy pro wrestling.

06-12-09 09:59 PM
    Those look awesome!

I think the hardest part of your hobby, to me, would be creating a unique doll and then selling it. I'm not sure I could part with something that took so much time, talent and effort.
    06-13-09 12:23 PM
    That is pretty creepy, what if they came alive at night? That would probably be scary. I think I'm going to stick with basketball.

06-13-09 12:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD