I'm pretty sure i know where this thread will end up but i hope it doesn't....

Source

So according to a recent NY Times article the reason iPhones have so many network issues (dropped calls, missed text messages, delayed voicemail, slow downloads, etc.) is because the iPhone is a data hog, and AT&T�s network can barely handle it. At first the article read like it was accusing the iPhone of asking too much from the 3G network, but further on the article seemed much more balanced and objective.

It is true � the iPhone uses a lot of data. That�s because it�s not a smartphone, it�s a mini, hand-held computer. Many of the latest touch-screen �smartphones� being released today have more in common with laptops than cellphones. They demand more from their data connection than earlier phones did. Now AT&T is working hard on patching their 3G network to try and handle the additional load, but the fact of the matter is they got caught with their pants down.

The cellphone industry in America has had it easy. They have been able to slowly roll-out upgrades and enhance networks. Compared to what is happening in Europe and Asia the cellular network in the states is a joke. It took a popular and highly capable cellular device to bring that fact to the attention of the general public. The NY Times article quoted John Donovan, the chief technology officer of AT&T as having this to say:

It�s been a challenging year for us, overnight we�re seeing a radical shift in how people are using their phones. There�s just no parallel for the demand.

I think that in reality the writing was on the wall. If US carriers were watching what was happening outside of the country they would have realized that the transition from mostly voice to mostly data traffic was on it�s way. Unfortunately the US carriers are reacting instead of planning ahead. This isn�t just an AT&T issue either. All of the US cellular service providers are guilty of this reactionary policy. They are maximizing profits and doing the bare minimum to provide the quality of service their customers expect.

The only way this is going to get better is for the US carriers to massively roll out upgrades to the existing 3G network while also putting a greater emphasis on deploying more capable 4G networks. The cork has been pulled and there is no putting it back. As more and more data-hungry devices flood the cellular network the problem is only going to get worse without a radical shift in network capabilities.
    09-29-09 01:58 PM
    Why do things right the first time when you can capitalize on screwing it up and making continuous 'fixes?'

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-09 02:05 PM
    Why do things right the first time when you can capitalize on screwing it up and making continuous 'fixes?'

.. .. .. you have a great point there...
    09-29-09 02:09 PM
    Like the Storm (or beta unit as I call it )
    09-29-09 02:59 PM
    Mine was more a comment on the way the networks have been set up, and how they go bananawacky when a data-intensive device takes root. I don't see it improving anytime real soon, either.

No quibble on the Storm, either. Glad I don't deal with it, myself.

Screwing things up definitely has a way of providing job security for the motivationally impaired.

09-29-09 06:11 PM
    Like the Storm (or beta unit as I call it )
    I think the Tour fits that stereotype as well. I had to do a few mods before mine worked the way it should. It's a beast now, but it was a crap piece out of the box (3rd one BTW). Lol
    09-30-09 10:23 AM
    If the I phone is the hummer what is my 8220?

09-30-09 02:37 PM
    If the I phone is the hummer what is my 8220?

Toyota Prius
    09-30-09 02:54 PM
    Ok, what about a Pearl?

I'm almost afraid to hear what you have to say forever...
    09-30-09 03:12 PM
    Ok, what about a Pearl?

I'm almost afraid to hear what you have to say forever...
    A lawnmower
    09-30-09 03:16 PM
    A lawnmower
    I would have gone with Yugo I actually think most
    lawnmowers have more power than a Yugo.
    09-30-09 03:24 PM
    Funny you should mention that, AG. I was once witness to a riding lawnmower towing a Yugo uphill to the owners residence. I was so amused I had to watch.

Didn't have a camera to record the event, though.

09-30-09 03:45 PM
    Lawnmower is not bad, at least it can rip things to shreds.
    09-30-09 03:48 PM
    A Pearl is almost borderline Power Wheels now that I think of it...
    09-30-09 03:52 PM
    Ah, come on! You can't take it back.

If it's gonna be Power Wheels, I at least want a sports car or something good.
    09-30-09 03:54 PM
    A prius? I think its more like a fully loaded Altima

09-30-09 09:22 PM
    The Curve was done right...

10-01-09 09:54 PM
    IMO, iPhones may be a hummer of cell phones. Yah, they get you around...maybe some good looks..but tht 7 miles per gallon sucks dont it?! My BlackBerry 8900, is the bomb, and from me, it rides like a Lamborghini! BLACKBERRIES RULE!
    10-01-09 11:06 PM
    The 8900 is like a lambo? That's a bit of a stretch.

But going with that comparison-

What is the Bold? An SLR Mclaren?

But the white iPhone is definitely an SLK
    10-03-09 12:06 PM
    iPhones suck. but i guess its just an opinion. iPhones are only good for the apps, which are mostly useless. who actually uses those apps everyday?? lol.
    10-04-09 10:37 AM
    The 8900 is like a lambo? That's a bit of a stretch.

But going with that comparison-

What is the Bold? An SLR Mclaren?

But the white iPhone is definitely an SLK
    i dont know, i was just making comparisons like everyone else lol. i paid alot of money for my 8900 so i HAVE to like it lol.
    10-10-09 04:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD