This is what I'm asking. Like what??? The other poster says "Angry Birds.". That's what all the fuss is about???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-11 12:20 PM
    This is what I'm asking. Like what??? The other poster says "Angry Birds.". That's what all the fuss is about???

That was a joke. But RIM did make a pretty big deal about Angry Birds being on the PlayBook.

If you want examples of half baked apps, look no farther than the Instant Messaging and social networking apps. Facebook for BlackBerry is just plain awful and the instant messaging apps lack functionality and look terribly outdated.

Just take a look at the top 25 apps on BB App World. The number one paid app is "Fat Face" and about 5 more of the apps are replacements for Facebook chat. The prices are also a turn off.
    07-14-11 12:26 PM
    Hmmm. Yea probably I don't get it because I don't use stuff like facebook even on my computer. I do use basic instant messenging apps like yahoo, aim, and wlm on my BlackBerry and computer.

07-14-11 12:36 PM
    the kobo app is a great example for iOS vs PB/BB versions. Several more features for iOS over BB.

Google Maps is a huge difference. on android you get turn by turn navigation and 3D view also

does facebook on BB have chat yet in the official app?
    07-14-11 12:38 PM
    No one will be lining up for it because RIM is just awful at marketing.
    RIM never had to market their products before. Now that they do, nobody is listening.

Marketing big ticket items (yes, a $300 smartphones is a big ticket item) is not about the best ad. It's only there as confirmation on your decision. People that are going to spend hundreds or thousands on a product do research. THEN they make a decision and only then will they start looking at the ads.

The car makers don't expect to change minds with a cool car ad. The ads are there for brand-building. Get their present customers excited about next years model.

The same applies to smartphones, except now its all about platforms. This equates out to accessories and apps.

RIM failed to keep the brand strong while they were at their peak with ads. They felt they didn't need em. Advertising budgets are the easiest to cut, but do the most damage when they are gone.

Ads don't mean a thing if people ignore the message. And that message starts with the brand.
    Last edited by sosumi11; 07-14-11 at 12:51 PM.
    07-14-11 12:41 PM
    Okay, using my computer, I went on Youtube to see what the fuss over "Angry Birds" is all about and couldn't believe the stupidity. If I understood correctly, the birds are angry because the green pigs stole and ate their eggs. They project themselves, using a slingshot, at a structure (purportedly the pigs' dwelling) and knock it down to win points and hopefully get a high score. And this repeats over and over with a chittering (noise from the birds, presumably) and annoying music in the background. Thoroughly ridiculous. This is what people are raving about? How stupid. I don't think I would have liked this even when I was five.

the kobo app is a great example for iOS vs PB/BB versions. Several more features for iOS over BB.

Google Maps is a huge difference. on android you get turn by turn navigation and 3D view also

does facebook on BB have chat yet in the official app?
    Not familiar with the others, but I must be on a high end plan with my carrier. I have turn by turn navigation in 2d and 3d through it, and I never saw it as a big deal that would influence my decision in the slightest when choosing a mobile platform.

Okay. Off to check "Fat Face."
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-14-11 01:12 PM
    Which apps on Earth are you getting half-baked versions of? I mean what apps is everybody crying about? You wanna watch movies on your phones? Is that it???

FourSquare sticks out. I could run down a laundry list, but there's really no need.

Laugh all you want, but what may seem trivial to you is driving the masses to other platforms. E-mail, BBM and corporatle clients are no longer RIM stalwarts.
    07-14-11 01:21 PM
    Tonis angry birds is probably the most popular, most downloaded, most revenue generating app on any platform, writing it off as absurd shows how out of touch you are ... Then for your encore, you dismiss turn by turn navigation as useless... You know that feature alone is a multibillion dollar industry just of itself right? Why stop there tho? What's all this fuss about LCD screens and keyboards? I mean really, if you want to talk to someone just write a letter right? LCD screens?! Pfft who needs em
    It's great that you're happy with the phone ecosystem of 2004, what's wrong with the options being there if you want them tho, instead of writing everything off you don't have as junk

Last edited by katiepea; 07-14-11 at 01:32 PM.
    07-14-11 01:24 PM
    MLB at Bat. On other platforms there is live streaming video. The stadium tab actually does something as well.

I've written a ton about this (apps) in a dozen other threads. Each cable provider has an app. Many tv and cable and news shows (especially local news) have apps - all available on other platforms, not BB.

Now the PB suffers most from what every other Tablet suffers from (also posted numerous times in a dozen other threads) - TABLETS SUCK! They cost more than many laptops and don't do 1/4 of what a lap top does. Even a 7" is not a handheld, its not more portable than a lap top or net book. People never wanted tablets, mostly, they still don't. They wanted the I-Pad. RIM wasn't alone in not getting this. However it cost them a whole lot more than other manufacturers because they pulled all their resources into this device at the expense of their handheld market.
    07-14-11 01:36 PM
    MLB at Bat. On other platforms there is live streaming video. The stadium tab actually does something as well.

I've written a ton about this (apps) in a dozen other threads. Each cable provider has an app. Many tv and cable and news shows (especially local news) have apps - all available on other platforms, not BB.

Now the PB suffers most from what every other Tablet suffers from (also posted numerous times in a dozen other threads) - TABLETS SUCK! They cost more than many laptops and don't do 1/4 of what a lap top does. Even a 7" is not a handheld, its not more portable than a lap top or net book. People never wanted tablets, mostly, they still don't. They wanted the I-Pad. RIM wasn't alone in not getting this. However it cost them a whole lot more than other manufacturers because they pulled all their resources into this device at the expense of their handheld market.
    I think cheap laptops suck. They run MS Windows and get bogged down with virus software etc. They take forever to boot. They don't really fit on your lap and they fall apart.
    07-14-11 01:43 PM
    Just back from watching "Fat Face" on youtube. Angry Birds was totally dense, and this one is yet a different brand of stupid. I watched a video of some goofballs in a restaurant laughing uncontrollably while passing around an iPhone. (This went on for almost six minutes.) The application distorts the image of the user's face and makes it look enlarged. I remember when AIM or oovo (I forget which one) had some feature like this that distorted the face a variety of different ways, and the person who I used video call with every day and I tried it for a few minutes. That was it. No big deal. I don't see what all the excitement is about now (like in that video). Is it because it's on an iPhone? Pathetic.

Tonis angry birds is probably the most popular, most downloaded, most revenue generating app on any platform, writing it off as absurd shows how out of touch you are ... Then for your encore, you dismiss turn by turn navigation as useless... You know that feature alone is a multibillion dollar industry just of itself right? Why stop there tho? What's all this fuss about LCD screens and keyboards? I mean really, if you want to talk to someone just write a letter right? LCD screens?! Pfft who needs em
    It's great that you're happy with the phone ecosystem of 2004, what's wrong with the options being there if you want them tho, instead of writing everything off you don't have as junk

I didn't dismiss turn by turn navigation. I just said I didn't see what the big deal was. I've always had it through my carrier.

Okay. I've seen enough of this idiocy. I'm off to read a book to hopefully help me forget my disappointment in mankind for a little while at least.
    07-14-11 02:00 PM
    it was really interesting
    07-14-11 08:32 PM
    Just back from watching "Fat Face" on youtube. Angry Birds was totally dense, and this one is yet a different brand of stupid. I watched a video of some goofballs in a restaurant laughing uncontrollably while passing around an iPhone. (This went on for almost six minutes.) The application distorts the image of the user's face and makes it look enlarged. I remember when AIM or oovo (I forget which one) had some feature like this that distorted the face a variety of different ways, and the person who I used video call with every day and I tried it for a few minutes. That was it. No big deal. I don't see what all the excitement is about now (like in that video). Is it because it's on an iPhone? Pathetic.

I didn't dismiss turn by turn navigation. I just said I didn't see what the big deal was. I've always had it through my carrier.

Okay. I've seen enough of this idiocy. I'm off to read a book to hopefully help me forget my disappointment in mankind for a little while at least.
    Just shows the mind set of your average american these days. Give me anything to forget reality and the way our government is screwing us. Yes that will make everything better. (sigh)
    Jake2826 likes this.
    07-14-11 08:43 PM

Ya see, that's the thing. ios has so many quality apps that for every 1 app you don't like, 20 you will love.
    07-15-11 06:46 AM
114 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD