Yep - and they may have to get out of the hardware business altogether. And they could sell off IP if it is no longer necessary. I'm not thrilled with the idea of licensing - you could end up with a lot of knock off, cheap clones (think early IBM PC days) which diminish the brand further. That's not what they need now.

Ken Dulaney, one of the most respected Mobile Communications Analysts at Gartner has been advocating a split up for years. My argument with him 3 years ago was that was one of the worst things Palm did - split up the company. Lost all synergies.

I hope RIM doesn't have to, but I am not as optimistic about the success of BB 10 as others are.
    08-04-12 04:26 PM
    Here is my experience and theory.... 2years ago I switched from blackberry to an android because I was new to the smart phone market and loved the way my curve let me surf the web but found that android was just more user friendly. Plus the larger screens were awesome. I have come back to blackberry just 2 days ago because I finally figured out how bad android really sucks. I think android is terrible for a few reassons. Their cell reception stinks, none of the apps work the way they should, android phones are junk from a hardware perspective, and well a whole lot of other reassons. So I think that if rim can just hold out a little bit longer they will see other folks like me switching back. This 9650 I am typing on now is pretty much out of date already and it is 10 times the phone that my brand new galaxy nexus 4glte is. And it's supposed to be the "latest and greatest" or atleast it was a few months ago. So basicaly what I would say to a rim ceo if I could would be "include a really indepth user tutorial in the next os so that new users won't be so confused by the limitless possibilities of their new blackberry, keep making them bullet proof like u already do, and offer a trade in program where a person can send in their relatively new android and receive a substantial discount on the newest blackberry and just sit around and wait for all of us to jump back on the blackberry band wagon." I mean the only reason I haven't bought the newest blackberry at this point is because I wasted my upgrade getting my over priced paper weight of an android. Now I gotta wait a year and a half to get a new one with my contract upgrade. Or maybe see if samsung is gonna replace this p.o.s. And trade the replacement nexus for a newer bb on craigslist. But for now I am more than satisfied with this used 9650 I bought for $100 the other day. It's a shame that rim doesn't get the $100 cause I would definately like to support their cause. Anyway that's my rant. Thanks for listening. Lol
    09-13-12 10:19 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD