Hi guys,
    I've been job searching for the past 3 months with no luck. I'm trying to find a job that is suitable for someone like myself who suffers from social anxiety disorder (so cut throat, competitive jobs are out of the question). Any ideas?
    08-23-10 07:27 PM
    How about day trading the forex markets? You can open micro accounts for minimal investment ($25 or up), don't have to deal with people/clients/customers and as long as you can get online, you're working. Also, the markets run 24 hours, excluding weekends so if you happen to be a night owl, you can still work (although I guess that would be night trading then). Just a thought....
    08-23-10 08:27 PM
    Find a job you can do from home on your computer!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-10 12:01 AM
    I see NO one at work except for when I come in for 15 mins, and 15 mins before I leave. Gets kinda lonely though. Though people annoy me so its prbly best I work alone.
    08-24-10 12:16 AM
    With a little practice and maybe some on the job training, you could probably become an assassin for hire. They don't do much interacting with others for the most part, and it might help your anxiety to know you're eliminating some of the things you're anxious about, even if it's just on a case by case basis....

08-24-10 04:06 AM
    I used to be extremely shy. Then I got a job in the public. Now I'm a social butterfly.
    08-24-10 09:43 AM
    @xxtrrublexx: I tried to conquer my anxiety by taking only hostess jobs for the past 3 years, a job that required me to talk to strangers every day... Let's just say it did nothing for me. I had anxiety attacks before, during and after work almost every week. The only way I could keep working was by going to the doctor and having him prescribe me Effexor. (A very pricey and unpleasant experience).

08-24-10 09:03 PM
    @xxxxpradaxxxx: Those kinds of jobs sound too go to be true. I've applied for a few of them, and ended up having my inbox bombed with spam.

08-24-10 09:06 PM
    @ShiPanda: I envy you. Lol.

08-24-10 09:09 PM
    @ShiPanda: I envy you. Lol.

haha im sorry. graveyard shift is only person who works by themselves. which is me lol
    08-24-10 11:59 PM
    What are you trained to do? Software development is lonely if you are a contractor.
    08-25-10 01:08 AM
    Being a bear trainer is very rewarding fyi.
    08-25-10 04:10 AM
    What, nobody took mine seriously? It really is a lucrative/rewarding job...

08-25-10 01:33 PM
    Yeah, but the capital investment is a bit high. All those silencers, hidden holsters, laser sights, bazookas and classy women cost big time.
    08-25-10 03:30 PM

ehhh you being a person that puts people to sleep and talks to lassie isnt taken seriously. sorry.
    08-25-10 11:50 PM
    Accounting. If not trained you can start as bookkeeper and work your way up ofcourse you will need some education. You will have to explain financials to your bosses but you only deal with the facts and nothiing else so no deed to me stand up comedian.
    08-26-10 12:25 PM
    i guess phone sex operator is out
    08-26-10 03:36 PM
    shake your booty in front of the webcam! all you need is a paypal account...so i hear.
    08-27-10 07:58 AM
    Well the best way for you would be getting over your anxiety disorder, but that can be very difficult.

I'd strongly advise against stock or forex trading unless you already have extensive experience with that sort of stuff, or at least have someone who'll help you out. The common understanding is that coming out ahead in such small scale, short term investments is mathematically impossible.

I guess it really depends on your skills and qualifications. Doing some cms works/working as a webdev with couple of projects to show for would definitely help you find a job. Google for php, drupal, wordpress, ruby, and ruby-on-rails. It's easy to learn those things, but hard to get good at it. It'd be great if you can somehow combine what you like to do with a job/business idea, but that would require lots of research&creativity.

If you have some math related degree there are a lot of projects out there that often lead to a job. Same goes for biotech and other fields of sciences.

08-27-10 05:09 PM
    i guess phone sex operator is out
    shake your booty in front of the webcam! all you need is a paypal account...so i hear.
    This is definitely experience talking here! I'm not saying anything is wrong with either....eehm! profession....
    08-27-10 10:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD