So, I got my first BlackBerry not too long ago, after having tried out my friend's Curve.

After seeing all the neat things I was missing out on with my RAZR (it was a good High School phone), I decided "Okay, I need one of these."

Looking through the T-Mobile selection (and after dodging the "You should consider a T-Mobile Wing" sales pitch), I decided that I wanted to get the 8700g, the last with a scroll wheel.

My friend with the Curve asked "Why didn't you get one with the scroll ball?", and I told him that I didn't like it. He didn't fully understand how I couldn't like the scroll ball, but I didn't.

I'm still not quite sure what it is that I don't like about it, possibly because the beer-swilling, football watching, car building man in me (what very, VERY little of that there is) thinks the pearly ball is "girly and weak", but that's doubtful, otherwise I wouldn't be a Mac user, or maybe because I've unintentionally destroyed the scroll ball on every Apple Mighty Mouse I've come in contact with thus far.

Whatever the reason, I still prefer the scroll wheel, against all odds, while most people seem to feel the polar opposite of me.

I doubt anyone else feels this way, but, if you do, at least know you're not alone.

I'm not saying I don't like the Curve either, in fact, a few of it's features are definitely awesome, but I just wish they had made a scroll wheel variant of the Curve.
    05-25-08 05:17 PM
    I loved the 8700 when I had it. It took me a minute to get use to the trackball. But, in time, you'd get use to it too...

Lastly, in time, it might be difficult to get parts for the 8700, especially the trackwheel (since that's what 'goes' first)...
    05-25-08 05:40 PM
    I have the curve and they way I hold it, I wish I could use the volume keys to scroll as well as the track ball. I posted a thread on this, but no luck. Is there any software that can do this? I completely understand why you like the scroll wheel. For me, the track ball is good at times, but the wheel would be much better with one handed use.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-08 06:03 PM
    Lastly, in time, it might be difficult to get parts for the 8700, especially the trackwheel (since that's what 'goes' first)...
    Yeah, when that day comes, since I have handset insurance which covers accidental damage, I might accidentally drop it in the toilet, ya know, by accident.

Then I'll see about a Curve or a Bold.
    05-25-08 06:12 PM
    I navigate around a lot with native keystrokes specifically the space bar to scroll down and the enter key to enter (instead of pushing on the trackball)

-db

05-25-08 06:20 PM
    The caveman invented the wheel for a reason. And we find some way to mess with perfection. I moved from a 6230 to the 8320 and find myself missing that wheel. I must say for myself I must move on.

Mighty Mouse was too much for me, I couldn't keep it long enough to break it. All balls aren't created equally.
    05-25-08 07:09 PM
    Never used the wheel so I guess I don't know what I'm missing.
    05-26-08 12:02 AM
    Oh no... There are a few that still exist. I wish they had a BB with both.

I got used to the trackball vs. the wheel and it isn't bad at all.

05-31-08 04:17 PM
    Here another BB user. Enjoy it.
    05-31-08 07:23 PM
    I must admit, one thing that kept me from blackberries was the wheel. I just couldn't stand it. The trackball really sold me on it!
    06-01-08 12:51 PM
    Yeah, when that day comes, since I have handset insurance which covers accidental damage, I might accidentally drop it in the toilet, ya know, by accident.

Sorry, took me a minute on that one,lol.
    06-01-08 02:02 PM
    I wouldn't let the trackball breaking hold you down from it. You can easily clean them yourself, or buy a new one for cheap online.
    06-01-08 11:32 PM
    The first bb I got was the Curve and I wish it had the track wheel instead of the ball. The ball seems inconviently placed and it makes more sense to me to have it where the volume rocker is. I use the spacebar to scroll down more then the ball..
    06-11-08 08:36 PM

most insurance companies give you the phone you are turning back in on a claim. And usually theyre refurbs!
    06-11-08 09:09 PM
    I like the track ball, I am a girl and they do look girly. But no track wheel on my phone maybe I have no idea what I am missing.

06-11-08 09:17 PM
    I navigate around a lot with native keystrokes specifically the space bar to scroll down and the enter key to enter (instead of pushing on the trackball)

-db

Thats funny and here I thought I was the only one
    06-11-08 09:35 PM
    I was sad to see my 8700 go.
    06-11-08 10:38 PM
    I have an 8700 ordered for that same reason..the track wheel. Im an ex treo and HTC user as well - and I have ordered a Curve and Im nervous about the "transition" LOL! I do love my 8700...
    06-21-08 05:44 AM
    I loved the 8700 when I had it. It took me a minute to get use to the trackball. But, in time, you'd get use to it too...

I am picking up 8 or so 8700 (my connection) monday or tuesday of next week, not a dime coming out of mty pocket. Can you say H#LL yeah! I am going to keep 3 of the best one and craigslist the others (maaybe) I do have some friends that might need some parts.
    06-21-08 05:55 AM
    how are you getting 8 8700's for free?
    06-21-08 02:54 PM
    ^^ his "connection.""
    06-21-08 02:58 PM
    i never really liked the scroll wheel. love the trackball much much better. more functional
    06-21-08 03:15 PM
    ^^ his "connection.""
    oh sorry i didnt read that
    06-21-08 03:44 PM
    i originally wanted a BB with a scroll ball and took me some time to get used to the ball. But i heard from ppl who've upgraded that it's a change for the better
    06-27-08 11:51 PM
    I'm approaching a decade of BlackBerry use and I will NEVER forgive RIM for moving to the trackball. I used to be able to navigate and do various functions by click-count quickly and effectively. The number of mistakes I make when scrolling quickly with the trackball is far greater than the scrollbar. The tactile feedback that is missing is just sadly horribly missed.

I wish RIM would bring it back for the Thunder along with the touch scrolling. It would be nice to be able to one hand scroll cleanly across the whole Thunder.

RIM, PLEASE oh please do that for the Thunder.
    06-28-08 12:02 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD