I just gave someone my bank detail, include my signature, to a stranger that went to my apartment. He came around 19.00. He said he was from Unity Media, an internet provider company, and tried to persuade me to change my provider. He offered 10 Euro cheaper, an upgrade from 6Mbps to 25Mbps, and he said I can cancel it anytime. When I asked him some time to think about it, and asked for his business card, he said that he would only be in my city (K�ln) for one day, and he would move to other city tomorrow. He asked me to help him, because he is new by his company. Then I said yes. I asked where he was from, he said Italy, and his name was Antonio. Then he gave me the contract paper, which looked like a legitimate paper. Put in my details, and gave him also my bank details. So he got my name, address, birthday, my IBAN, my signature, and also my BIC. He also gave me his number, and he "accidentally" dialed a number on his phone. Then 2 seconds later, his "boss" called him, and asked him to go back as fast as he can. Then he went away.

I realized that I just fell into a scam. I called his number, then he said he is already away, and cannot go back to me, when I asked him to come back. I told him I want to cancel. He said not to worry, and just wait for a post to let me know about what the next step is, and I should wait for the technician to come.

I called my bank and block my card, but unfortunately I can't block my account. If I want to do that I have to go to the nearest branch of my bank (Deutsche Bank), which is impossible, because now it's already 23.00. Btw, I live in Germany.

I haven't called the police. Should I? I'm afraid that I'm just being paranoid. And I also feel a bit unsafe in my apartment now, because I let him in, and he knows about what's inside my apartment and everything. I am even afraid that he might break in.. What do you guys think I should do? I feel very uneasy now..
    03-18-15 05:40 PM
    The contract you signed , did you get a copy ?
    03-18-15 07:15 PM
    Can you upload a censored picture of the contract? Or provide more details on the fictitious company he supposedly worked for.

I would go sleep somewhere else, and settle it with the bank first in the morning, and then go to the nearest police station.
    03-18-15 07:24 PM
    The contract you signed , did you get a copy ?
    I did. But is that important? I'm afraid he would do online transaction with it. I have blocked my debit card, but I can't block my account yet.
    03-18-15 08:18 PM
    Can you upload a censored picture of the contract? Or provide more details on the fictitious company he supposedly worked for.

I would go sleep somewhere else, and settle it with the bank first in the morning, and then go to the nearest police station.
    I'm sure his company is not fictitious. I know the company named Unitiy Media, and it is indeed an internet service provider. But I'm sure that he's not from the company. He only got the application form. I'm sorry, I'm not good at editing pictures. XD

Where should I sleep.. ==. I'll do it tomorrow morning. Do you think I can report such case to the police?
    03-18-15 08:19 PM
    I'm sure his company is not fictitious. I know the company named Unitiy Media, and it is indeed an internet service provider. But I'm sure that he's not from the company. He only got the application form. I'm sorry, I'm not good at editing pictures. XD

Where should I sleep.. ==. I'll do it tomorrow morning. Do you think I can report such case to the police?
    Try to get in contact with the company and ask them if they know anything about the guy.

If he got a new customer to sign, I guess he reports it to the company,no? They should have records of those things.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 08:41 PM
    I doubt your are in any significantly higher personal risk, so sleep easy in your apartment (with the door locked of course) .

However, I would suggest discussing it with the police, even if you end up not officially reporting it. It could be legit, but does stink very strongly.(eg. why does Unitymedia, based in K�ln and operating in Germany, want your IBAN and BIC which are used for international money transfers, instead of just your normal account number and BLZ? )

Did you thoroughly read and understand the contract that you signed before you signed it? Never sign anything under pressure. Never sign anything if you don't know who you are doing business with.

If it is legit, you should check the contract for any cooling off period which you could invoke to exit. If not, get legal advice to find out if there are any statutory cooling off periods for telephone or door to door sales.

I always advise family to ALWAYS say no to cold callers whether on the telephone or door to door. You never really know who you are dealing with and, since they have the element of surprise on their side, you are always at a disadvantage. Sorry to those legitimate businesses that use these techniques, but it's just too risky nowadays with the volume of professional scammers about.

Judging by the Wikipedia page for Unitymedia, they don't have the cleanest nose in the business...
    Andy Wijaya likes this.
    03-18-15 08:53 PM
    Try to get in contact with the company and ask them if they know anything about the guy.

If he got a new customer to sign, I guess he reports it to the company,no? They should have records of those things.

Posted via CB10
    Yes. I'll do it tomorrow. But I'm sure now, he is not from the company. Because he is very elusive when being asked specific questions, like where he lives and everything. He said he is Italian but his German has no accent..
    03-18-15 08:56 PM
    I hope you'll get everything sorted out soon. Any sort of business whether it's for charity or not, I would automatically decline. I hope things will turn out well.

Posted via CB10
    Andy Wijaya likes this.
    03-18-15 08:59 PM
    I guess I'm the fool here. I don't think he can do much with my account, because I would block it first thing tomorrow morning. But what I'm scared of is about the breaking in.. now I'm scared that he would break in. He saw my PS4, Wii U, and 2 MacBook Pros in my apartment. And he knows that I live alone. It happened to one of my friends. He got his laptop stolen. == I hate this feeling, and I'm sure I would feel nervous if I leave my apartment.

I don't have insurance in my apartment, because I would leave my apartment in 2 months to move to another city.
    03-18-15 09:00 PM
    I hope you'll get everything sorted out soon. Any sort of business whether it's for charity or not, I would automatically decline. I hope things will turn out well.

Posted via CB10
    Yes! Thank you for the sympathy! I didn't have the heart to reject him. He was so polite and friendly. I was questioning myself back then, but I asked myself what if I'm wrong. So.. it happened.
    03-18-15 09:01 PM
    He saw my PS4, Wii U, and 2 MacBook Pros in my apartment.
    I don't have insurance in my apartment, because I would leave my apartment in 2 months to move to another city.
    Can you not just get an insurance policy for these valuable items independent of where you are living?
    Andy Wijaya likes this.
    03-18-15 09:08 PM
    I'm so sorry to say this but I do think it was a scam. Firstly don't be too worried or scared as it could cloud your judgement. Secondly the smartest thing to do would be if you can to move your expensive stuff to your friends or someone's house you trust.

It must be what 3am around your area now so I just realised that's it's not possible to go out. I know this sounds crazy but how about staying awake all night and reporting the incident to the police now just so they know that a fraudulent person is and might be around your area and they might visit you again.

I hope you feel easier and hopefully nothing happens but seriously, if your not expecting anyone, don't answer to anyone regardless of what there trying to sell you.

Posted via CB10
    Andy Wijaya likes this.
    03-18-15 09:19 PM
    Yes! Thank you for the sympathy! I didn't have the heart to reject him. He was so polite and friendly. I was questioning myself back then, but I asked myself what if I'm wrong. So.. it happened.
    I've fallen in those situations before as well so I know how it feels like. But whenever you're in doubt, just follow your guts and ask them that you'll need time to think it over

Posted via CB10
    Andy Wijaya likes this.
    03-18-15 09:27 PM
    I doubt your are in any significantly higher personal risk, so sleep easy in your apartment (with the door locked of course) .

However, I would suggest discussing it with the police, even if you end up not officially reporting it. It could be legit, but does stink very strongly.(eg. why does Unitymedia, based in K�ln and operating in Germany, want your IBAN and BIC which are used for international money transfers, instead of just your normal account number and BLZ? )

Did you thoroughly read and understand the contract that you signed before you signed it? Never sign anything under pressure. Never sign anything if you don't know who you are doing business with.

If it is legit, you should check the contract for any cooling off period which you could invoke to exit. If not, get legal advice to find out if there are any statutory cooling off periods for telephone or door to door sales.

I always advise family to ALWAYS say no to cold callers whether on the telephone or door to door. You never really know who you are dealing with and, since they have the element of surprise on their side, you are always at a disadvantage. Sorry to those legitimate businesses that use these techniques, but it's just too risky nowadays with the volume of professional scammers about.

Judging by the Wikipedia page for Unitymedia, they don't have the cleanest nose in the business...
    I hope so! I might be a bit paranoid because it happened to one of my friends recently, like last month. He got robbed and his gaming laptop was gone.

Thank you so much. Now I think I've learned my lesson. I just hope it's not too late. Actually in Germany it's pretty common. You can either provide your BIC and IBAN, or your account number. You can do online transaction with it, with a direct debit. I called the bank and they said that the only way that they can withdraw money from it, is only if they know the bank in which I open my account, and they need passport with it. I don't know why I let him inside my apartment that easily..
    03-18-15 09:31 PM
    I've fallen in those situations before as well so I know how it feels like. But whenever you're in doubt, just follow your guts and ask them that you'll need time to think it over

Posted via CB10
    Yes.. lesson learned.. the hard way. Thanks for the advice!
    03-18-15 09:32 PM
    I'm so sorry to say this but I do think it was a scam. Firstly don't be too worried or scared as it could cloud your judgement. Secondly the smartest thing to do would be if you can to move your expensive stuff to your friends or someone's house you trust.

It must be what 3am around your area now so I just realised that's it's not possible to go out. I know this sounds crazy but how about staying awake all night and reporting the incident to the police now just so they know that a fraudulent person is and might be around your area and they might visit you again.

I hope you feel easier and hopefully nothing happens but seriously, if your not expecting anyone, don't answer to anyone regardless of what there trying to sell you.

Posted via CB10
    I'm worried now. == I'll just go to the bank in the morning, to block my account. And I might also report it to the police. I'm just afraid what if it's legit, and I'm wrong. I might accuse a wrong person. Thanks for the concern!
    03-18-15 09:35 PM
    Can you not just get an insurance policy for these valuable items independent of where you are living?
    Do you think I should do that? The problem is, insuring such device might even be more expensive than insuring the apartment. ==.
    03-18-15 09:36 PM
    I'm worried now. == I'll just go to the bank in the morning, to block my account. And I might also report it to the police. I'm just afraid what if it's legit, and I'm wrong. I might accuse a wrong person. Thanks for the concern!
    Take a deep breathe and try to get some sleep Andy it's really late in Germany lol

Posted via CB10
    Andy Wijaya likes this.
    03-18-15 09:38 PM
    Take a deep breathe and try to get some sleep Andy it's really late in Germany lol

Posted via CB10
    Yup. It's almost four. Lol. Thanks for your concern!
    03-18-15 09:43 PM
    I don't even know you and I'm getting stressed. But seriously I don't want you to worry unnecessarily. You never know. After you blocked your bank details he might have just gone on with the next unexpecting target. Most fraudsters don't have time to go back to the area especially since you've already seen how he looks and he could be easily identified.

How where his eyes? Was he shifty? Inquisitive? Did he constantly look around the apartment? Did he ask for a drink of water? Just relax and think calmly

But it wouldn't hurt to report it though.

And stop punishing yourself. Make yourself some tea to relax your nerves.

Posted via CB10
    Andy Wijaya likes this.
    03-18-15 09:48 PM
    I don't even know you and I'm getting stressed. But seriously I don't want you to worry unnecessarily. You never know. After you blocked your bank details he might have just gone on with the next unexpecting target. Most fraudsters don't have time to go back to the area especially since you've already seen how he looks and he could be easily identified.

How where his eyes? Was he shifty? Inquisitive? Did he constantly look around the apartment? Did he ask for a drink of water? Just relax and think calmly

But it wouldn't hurt to report it though.

And stop punishing yourself. Make yourself some tea to relax your nerves.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks so much. You people are too kind. I really hope so. I'm not good at judging people maybe. He looked so kind, and young, and friendly. But he seemed to rush, and seemed a bit nervous. He didn't ask for anything. I'll keep you guys posted!
    03-18-15 10:06 PM
    Thanks so much. You people are too kind. I really hope so. I'm not good at judging people maybe. He looked so kind, and young, and friendly. But he seemed to rush, and seemed a bit nervous. He didn't ask for anything. I'll keep you guys posted!
    Do keep us posted. I sense your tired but too worried to sleep. Don't worry 80% of the night is over and thieves and fraudsters usually like to rob people during daytime working hours when they know no one is home. I'm hoping you can at least try and sleep since you must be exhausted and mentally drained.

Since he was rushing about maybe he himself was uncomfortable therefore the nerves were showing. Let's hope it's just a bad business sales man haha, relax my friend and I hope everything goes okay

Posted via CB10
    Andy Wijaya likes this.
    03-18-15 10:16 PM
    Whoever tells you to calm down and not worry might be working for this guy. Watch out

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 10:26 PM
    Do keep us posted. I sense your tired but too worried to sleep. Don't worry 80% of the night is over and thieves and fraudsters usually like to rob people during daytime working hours when they know no one is home. I'm hoping you can at least try and sleep since you must be exhausted and mentally drained.

Since he was rushing about maybe he himself was uncomfortable therefore the nerves were showing. Let's hope it's just a bad business sales man haha, relax my friend and I hope everything goes okay

Posted via CB10
    Did what you suggested. XD. Now I put his number on my phone, and... I checked Whatsapp. Apparently he gave me his real phone number! I can get his profile picture. And.. he updated his status on last Sunday. But I can't see his last online status.

If he is a scammer, why would he give me his real number? Doesn't make sense for me.
    03-19-15 03:33 AM
77 123 ...