I've been working in I.T. / Support for about 15 years; and now I'm beginning to think that's just way too long...alas, I love it

From time to time, when we get asked certain questions, going against company protocol, we have to say no.

But, my question is, why can't employee's just do what they get paid to do, rather than trying to get around the system? For example, we have a strict Proxy in place here, i.e. no browsing to FaceBook, MySpace and the likes at work, unless it's after hours (proxy is set that way). But, these bloody younsters just don't get it...

Let's not talk about trying to download things onto their pc's!

Honestly!
    03-27-09 10:06 AM
    I emphathize with you. people want to download MS messenger to chat with friends at work and chit chat with Facebook friends.

I need a vacation. I want to move into management doing something else. I am tired troubleshooting users. Let them do it themselves.
    03-27-09 10:23 AM
    I hear you, on all levels. For example, I have an individual that loves to install applications, illegally downloaded ones, on his client machine. Then, when no one else can figure out why his box isn't working right, I have to go and uninstall / clean these things up.

Then, the people that love to surf all day and click ads can't figure out why their computers run slow and have spyware (especially older boxes). I'm tempted to just cut off their internet access.

Then again, we're on CrackBerry at work
    03-27-09 10:29 AM
    Bloody hilarious!

Then again, we're on CrackBerry at work
    03-27-09 10:32 AM
    Are you talking about users who call you who have installed things on the machine they are having problems?

My boyfriend works in IT support and he chats to me on AIM all day lol browses, checks facebook/myspace/twitter and even has time to play games once in a while.

Sometimes when he's on call I listen and some of the questions people ask AMAZE me...lol
    03-27-09 01:34 PM
    I always laugh at the stuff my companies I.T. guys tell me. I'm pretty computer literate so I understand what they are talking about.

I laugh at them when it comes to Blackberries though, because I end up having to set them up. For some reason these guys that can do almost anything to a desktop, laptop and/or network can't install a theme. lol
    03-27-09 01:44 PM
    It's a generational think. When I started working, the company got a brand new PC XT. No cell phones, no email, no internet.

Young people who are now my age back then grew up with all these great toys. It's part of there life.
    03-27-09 01:46 PM
    I've been working in I.T. / Support for about 15 years; and now I'm beginning to think that's just way too long...alas, I love it

From time to time, when we get asked certain questions, going against company protocol, we have to say no.

But, my question is, why can't employee's just do what they get paid to do, rather than trying to get around the system? For example, we have a strict Proxy in place here, i.e. no browsing to FaceBook, MySpace and the likes at work, unless it's after hours (proxy is set that way). But, these bloody younsters just don't get it...

Let's not talk about trying to download things onto their pc's!

Honestly!
    I agree. Some people just lack work ethics. (Yes I'm on Crackberry, but for a good reason. I'm also the BES Admin for my company among other things)

We decided to try a little experiment when I did our web filter change. Before the switch, our users were completely restricted from anything "personal". This of course led to the daily complaints about this or that and statements of how "whatever site/download" is relevant to their job. So, without telling anyone about the switch, we let them "run amok" for about two weeks. Within the first day, when one person realized that they could get on, lets use face book as an example, word spread throughout our 30+ sites in less than 24 hours. (Of course we monitored and pulled reports on time spent as well - truly amazing) Even more so amazing is that it's the "complainers" who were going to and spending a lot of time on non-work related sites.

Granted, I am the pot calling the kettle black at the moment, but I can do that. I'm the S.A. for my company.

One thing that really irritates me is when departments try to implement something I.T. related and leave us out of the loop until the last minute.... That's a rant for a different day .....

Most days I like my users, but there are times I'd love to be able too reach through the phone-lines and slap 'em.....
    03-27-09 03:06 PM
    hmmm....this thread reminds me of illwillpress cartoon vidz. check out NEUROTICALLY YOURS CARTOON: TECH SUPPORT . do check out the other tech support vidz as well. enjoy!
    03-31-09 09:35 PM
    hmmm....this thread reminds me of illwillpress cartoon vidz. check out NEUROTICALLY YOURS CARTOON: TECH SUPPORT . do check out the other tech support vidz as well. enjoy!
    That just reminded me of a call I made to a certain vendor when trying to get a part that was under warranty. - hilarious -

Thanks for the laugh
    04-01-09 07:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD