I need some advice on what to do here. earlier this week i found out that one of my co-workers went to our HR department and accused me of something thats completely false. now not only could this potentially mess with my income. it can destory my home life. rumors are now all over the place because this heffer ran her mouth to everyone telling them what she did. I filed a complaint with our HR personelle about this person. beyond this i dont know what to do. everyone keeps asking me about this and i havent said a word to anyone because this is pretty embarrassing. help?
    06-11-09 02:18 PM
    "Its completely false, and thats all I wish to discuss regarding the matter."
    06-11-09 02:25 PM
    Start a journal of everything that happens at work. If you still continue to feel threatened in anyway, file for harrassement. I wouldn't worry about the rumors. You are the hot topic for today, tomorrow it will be something else. Don't feed into it.
    And HR is requried to investigate any complaints. They are there to listen to both sides. Be professional and don't speak bad about this person to ANYONE. Guarantee she is writing everything down.

Her true colors will shine and HR and your co-workers will see her for what she really is.
    06-11-09 08:03 PM
    Paddy is right, the term is Hostile Work Environment. And the company can be liable for damages if they don't act to stop it once they have been made aware of it. There is quite a bit of case law concerning Hostile Work Environment and large companies know what steps they need to take to stop it.

You should start your log/journal now, and you can go back and detail what has happened from the beginning. You want to be professional and work with your employer to solve the problem. You don't want to be thought of as part of the problem and make them think they need to get rid of you both to solve the harassment.

Most HR people have had training to recognize Hostile Environment complaints and solve them. You can work with them, and protect yourself at the same time. Keep good records and write down everything especially witness names. If your company seems to be pressuring you, don't hesitate to get an attorney. Many attorneys will take these cases on contingency because the fees have to be paid by the company if they lose or settle a case. Good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-09 08:49 PM
    Do NOT speak about the incident or the coworker to anyone you work with. Use what Mavis said "it is false and I do not wish to discuss it". Its a shame how many people in the work place live to spread gossip and rumors, and by speaking about it, would only encourage it more.
    06-11-09 09:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD