Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,564 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default I need a color Printer/Copier/Scanner/Fax with Password feature

I need an all in one color printer/copier/scanner/fax that can be configured with a password so that unwanted office mates don't use my ink! I've looked but can't find one, or it could just be that it's not listed in the specs/features whenever I look at printers.

Just need a cheap inkjet, don't need anything high photo quality.

I need one that prints fast and makes copies fast.

Needs an ADF (auto-doc feeder) and flatbed.

$100-$200?

Any recommendations would be GREAT!

EDIT: Wireless is definitely required since it wouldn't be sitting in a common area outside my office.
    Last edited by JRAnciano; 01-05-2013 at 01:18 AM.

Global Posts
    10,540 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Office mates? Maybe just get a small printer and lock it in a drawer? Or take the cord with you when you leave it alone?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,564 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by SCrid2000 View Post
    Office mates? Maybe just get a small printer and lock it in a drawer? Or take the cord with you when you leave it alone?
    Don't have drawers big enough to store an all in one printer/copier/scanner/fax machine.

I could always just take the cord but then again, I'd still want it accessible to select people when I'm not around. And since cords are universal standards, someone would just find a USB or power cord and plug it in haha.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,938 Global Posts
    PIN
    nacle of phones: BB!

JR - mine is an HP Office Jet Pro 8500A. Great printer and all others. Newer versions available now. Mine was 99 or 109or 129 maybe a year ago. Not sure about password, but since wireless AND can be printed to via email address (awesome - print from my 9900 and my PlayBook all the time, even when I'm on the road ).

Check the newest versions of that series out. PLUS they look great! ALL black!
    It was recently pointed out to me that SugarSync was still in my signature, and no longer available for free. It was a nice (free) ride, SugarSync, but I'm seeing Box and Dropbox now, via BB10 integration.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,938 Global Posts
    PIN

During setup on router / network - option to generate an email address for printing. I just add that as a contact in phone / PlayBook / outlook / gmail and I can print to my printer from anywhere in the world!
    It was recently pointed out to me that SugarSync was still in my signature, and no longer available for free. It was a nice (free) ride, SugarSync, but I'm seeing Box and Dropbox now, via BB10 integration.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,564 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by DocDRM View Post
    JR - mine is an HP Office Jet Pro 8500A. Great printer and all others. Newer versions available now. Mine was 99 or 109or 129 maybe a year ago. Not sure about password, but since wireless AND can be printed to via email address (awesome - print from my 9900 and my PlayBook all the time, even when I'm on the road ).

Check the newest versions of that series out. PLUS they look great! ALL black!
    During setup on router / network - option to generate an email address for printing. I just add that as a contact in phone / PlayBook / outlook / gmail and I can print to my printer from anywhere in the world!
    Thanks Doc.

Password is a prime feature I need. I have found half a dozen all-in-ones that I really liked and was about to click "Submit" on the purchase but found out it didn't have password capability...

Global Posts
    32,303 Global Posts
    PIN
    By request.

I'd probably keep a lockbox in my desk and use it for my ink cartridges. I haven't found anything yhat specifically locks out unauthorized usage. But lock away the ink, it isn't getting used.
    See a problem? Click the report button and tell us what it is!
    Devices: SPH-A620/VGA 1000, Sanyo Katana, BlackBerry 8330, 9630, 9670, MB855 Photon, SPH-L710 Galaxy SIII. SPH-L720T* Galaxy S4
    Bacon is the duct tape for food!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,564 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by BergerKing View Post
    I'd probably keep a lockbox in my desk and use it for my ink cartridges. I haven't found anything yhat specifically locks out unauthorized usage. But lock away the ink, it isn't getting used.
    That wouldn't be convenient. With the magnitude of printing, scanning and copying, that would be a hassle to install and remove ink every time. Not to mention put the machine at risk of damage. On an average day, I print/copy/scan something at least 20 times a day, so that wouldn't be a real option. Also, there are several times I'll print something via email or remote desktop access so that someone else in the office can pick it up, locking away ink wouldn't be very handy.

I know of BIG copy machines that require PIN code and can keep a history of how much copies each user made (to asses cost sharing).
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,938 Global Posts
    PIN

JR - I'm no computer /network guru FOR SURE, but is it possible to partition off and create a separate drive solely for the purpose of installing this printer, with only you having access to that piece of the network?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,564 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

JR - I'm no computer /network guru FOR SURE, but is it possible to partition off and create a separate drive solely for the purpose of installing this printer, with only you having access to that piece of the network?
    There are workarounds to make a printer a "slave" to only one computer, however, that does not solve the problem with the copier, which is the real problem.

Sure, I can lock the printer so that it will only print from my computer. However, even if I do that, someone can still walk up to the printer, open up the flatbed/place their documents into the auto-doc-feeder, and press copy, and viola - use up my ink. lol
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,938 Global Posts
    PIN

Wasn't even thinking of that. Good luck.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,564 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

No problemo. I appreciate your help especially since it's not your field of expertise.

By the way, my bro's a marine, 0311. I didn't realize your avatar was the EAG. Good to know that Marines have enough sense to use BlackBerry.

iPhones are for the Army/Air Force