Poor lady didn't realize FB privacy settings needed to be updated!

Teacher Fired After Criticizing Colleagues, Parents on Facebook, We Say 'Duh'

"Here's a great way to get yourself fired: logging onto Facebook, and letting the world know how much you hate your job -- and the people you work for -- especially if you work with kids. That's exactly what Dr. June Talvitie-Siple did, and it totally worked.

Dr. Talvitie-Siple, supervisor of the math and science program at Massachusetts's Cohasset High School, recently used the social networking site to air her grievances about her job and her community. "Residents are so arrogant and snobby," she wrote in one post. In another, she emoted, "So not looking forward to another year at Cohasset schools." As she told NBC's WHDH affiliate, she had no idea that her rants were visible for the whole world to see. "I thought I had my privacy settings set so that I was only talking to my friends," she said. "And it turns out I wasn't." Once word of her public criticism got around, Talvitie-Staple got her wish, and lost her job. Mission accomplished. [From: NBCBayArea and MSNBC]

Update: According to WCVBTV Boston and AOL News, Dr. June Talvitie-Siple was asked by school Superintendent Denise Walsh to resign."
    08-19-10 04:12 PM
    Got what she deserved.
    08-20-10 01:44 PM
    Pretty stupid for not knowing your settings, and for thinking that anything you think is private won't get out.
    08-20-10 01:57 PM
    Pretty stupid for a person in her position to even be posting things like that period.
    No matter your settings, no matter what you post, you can delete it but it won't
    matter. Once something like that hits it takes milliseconds for someone to take a
    screen shot of that bad boy. FB, Twitter, etc. Happens to pro athletes too. They
    post something on Twitter, delete it right away, but the screen shots are already out.
    08-20-10 02:21 PM
    Well true or not, (about the residents), she should have sent emails to here friends or talked to them on the phone, instead of using Facebook or any like service to vent. Mainly because the once the "arrogant and snobby residents", got wind of her rants, they were sure to be asking for her head.

That old saying about not saying anything in print, you don't want people to see, or know about you, is well, true. Ten folds so, if you put it in print on the internet.
    08-20-10 09:46 PM
    This is covered by The First Amendment.
    08-23-10 11:56 AM
    I keep my FB as private as possible. I don't even have my last name on it. I only add close friends/family members. I also never post anything about my job or any illegal acitivies I partake in.

I feel bad for the teacher but she should have checked her privacy settings.
    08-23-10 01:04 PM
    I keep my FB as private as possible. I don't even have my last name on it. I only add close friends/family members. I also never post anything about my job or any illegal acitivies I partake in.

I feel bad for the teacher but she should have checked her privacy settings.
    Heck my last name on FB is fake
    08-23-10 01:10 PM
    Heck my last name on FB is fake
    Why am I not surprised?
    08-23-10 01:14 PM
    Why are people so paranoid. Most people list there phone and address in the White pages.

That said, all my privacy settings are friends only
    08-23-10 02:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD