I'm not sure if it's out of laziness or just to see how far I can push my BB's battery, but it's a weird feeling to see my battery drain all the way to under 10 percent, then plug it back up and see it recharge. It's a little weird and it's probably bad for the battery, but it's like a weird rush. Anyone?
    06-27-08 11:49 PM
    Do it all the time lol no problems here....
    06-27-08 11:57 PM
    I do it, not intentionally, but at least two/three times a week. So far I haven't hurt my battery to my knowledge. I get the expected standby and talk time out of it.
    06-28-08 12:00 AM
    Nope. I've heard that its better to keep you battery topped off, plus I don't want to have an emergency situation where I really need my phone and my battery is dead.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Blacklatino likes this.
    06-28-08 12:01 AM
    Sometimes it's so bad I go through 2 batteries in one day...

06-28-08 12:02 AM
    Guilty. I've drained a battery in under 6 hrs and had to be hooked to the wall for a while otherwise I try and charge it at night before I go to bed

06-28-08 12:02 AM
    I do it pretty much everyday. Seen the battery too low for radio use message plenty of times.
    06-28-08 01:32 AM
    Um, with every device i've ever used that utilizes a battery, instruction manuals and/or customer service has said that draining it completely ( or close) before recharging vastly increases battery life. I first learned that through airsoft guns. Many batteries (except i think one certain kind) for these guns would die quickly and you'd have to buy a new one because it wouldn't hold a charge anymore. Solution? Drain it completely after every airsoft session.

Apparently, batteries have a sort of "memory" and i guess it's like this: If you charge a battery when it's at 80%, it starts to only remember it has a small amount of space to store a charge (not necessarily 20% but, lower than 100%). That was a basic version that i've heard used to explain it....someone correct me if i'm wrong with cell phone batteries.

Basically, a full/almost full battery discharge, before a recharge prevents degrading of the batt.
    06-28-08 01:41 AM
    I've ran it down to one less then 10% but don't make a habit of it. It just depends what's going on that day I guess.
    Like Ironman, I get the expected times and usage out of my battery
    06-28-08 01:43 AM
    I do it, not intentionally, but at least two/three times a week. So far I haven't hurt my battery to my knowledge. I get the expected standby and talk time out of it.

same here IronMan
    06-28-08 01:48 AM
    Depending on my activities each day I will wait until its down to 10%, that's when the BB warns of low battery. Sometime if I know I will need more juice than is left I will put it on the charger to charge as much as possible before heading out. But I don't find I have to do that very often. Typically it's on the charger when down to 10% and stays until fully charged.
    06-28-08 01:53 AM
    With Li-Ion batteries (which BB's use) it doesn't matter how long you wait to recharge it, it's not bad for the battery to keep it topped off or anything like that, with older batteries yes it was bad because the battery forms a "memory" of where you usually let it get to before you charge it and it will shorten your battery life, but Li-Ion batteries don't have that problem. (This is information I have read from other users, experienced ones, I will not say names though because I'm not 100% sure who said it and I don't want to say the wrong name).
    06-28-08 01:58 AM
    oh well thank you skormm! i knew there was a certain type and i guess ours is that type that doesn't have the memory issue! However, i feel it's just good habit to get the most out of my charges hahah....is that weird?
    06-28-08 02:05 AM
    oh well thank you skormm! i knew there was a certain type and i guess ours is that type that doesn't have the memory issue! However, i feel it's just good habit to get the most out of my charges hahah....is that weird?
    Haha, no I don't think so, I get a certain sense of satisfaction when my battery gets low and I charge it back up to full. I have a car charger and wall charger so if there ever is a reason I need to use it in an emergency I can hook it up. (I like to keep my battery around at least 20% though just in case something like my car dies).

EDIT: p.s. Most new phones use Li-Ion, if you don't know what battery your phone uses, just pull it out and look at the label, it should tell you the type and the mAh.
    Last edited by Skormm; 06-28-08 at 02:11 AM.
    06-28-08 02:09 AM
    yeah i don't let mine drop below 15% usually.
    06-28-08 02:11 AM
    I plug my BB in every night, so it never goes below about 50%. And I wish I could talk everyone in my household into doing the same thing with their regular cell phones!

06-28-08 02:35 AM
    I generally charge my 8820 every 3 days but it sometimes gets to 20% with the red showing. And it's on about 14 hours a day, which is pretty good. I have spare battery too and tend to rotate them every few weeks. However, I think Li-Ion batteries are pretty robust. You can drain them down or top them up all the time. But draining occasionally is good (not so it is completely flat) for battery life and allowing the battery to hold full capacity but it is nowhere near the problem it was with old NiMH. On my new Pearl (8120), the battery life is less, but I guess the battery is a lower capacity and also I have only charged it a few times so far, so it hasnt reached its full strength yet. Gary
    06-28-08 05:59 AM
    I use to charge it when it drop below 15% or 10%.
    06-28-08 06:02 AM
    Is it bad that I don't turn my curve off at night? I put it in standby because I don't want to miss an early morning call or message. I don't wake up at a certain time every day since it's summer for me and only work part time...so I just keep it in standby. Isn't powering off really just like an extreme version of standby?

06-28-08 06:17 AM
    Thats hard for me to do being as I have a Seido high cap along with the regular battery that my Curve came with. I keep one charging no matter where I am. I never run out of power!! OOHRAH!!!
    06-28-08 06:22 AM
    I kinda like seeing it turn red...just like driving your car until it almost reaches E (i've never done that) but there's a weird sense of relief once the phone gets plugged in
    06-28-08 08:56 AM
    Yea same here, I charge it when it turns red. Most of the time its not intentional tho, a lot of times I'm on it all night and forget to charge it when I get off. Of course I'm remembered when I hear that dreadful low battery beep when I'm at work and forgot my charger at home LOL

06-28-08 09:04 AM
    i confess it happens alot i try to aviod it but hey it happens i love my berry that much that i have to have it with me at all time but te battery life on the 8700 is great though.
    06-28-08 09:23 AM
    the most i let it go down to is 25%. I used it until I got the recharge message once, and that was only because i was on the phone with one of my friends for over 2 hours.
    Last edited by greenlove; 06-28-08 at 09:38 AM.
    06-28-08 09:36 AM
    Sometimes it's so bad I go through 2 batteries in one day...

I about the same....had to buy extended battery. Now its little better.
    06-28-08 09:45 AM
123 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD